Mac: iTunes Catalog 1.2 Released | iLounge News

Mac: iTunes Catalog 1.2 Released

iTunes Catalog creates web catalogs of your iTunes music library, displays the cover artwork for each album, and copies album artwork into iTunes.

iTunes Catalog can create HTML catalogs of your music with the same brushed-metal look as iTunes, complete with the cover artwork. It can also create catalogs in text, PDF, or XML format.

iTunes Catalog can add album artwork to all the music in your iTunes library in one click, automating a process that otherwise takes hours to complete manually. It can also create custom icons for your music in the Finder.

Besides displaying your music collection, HTML catalogs let you play music, find song lyrics, search Google for artist info, and buy music from the iTunes Music Store or Amazon.com.

What’s new in this version:

Creating catalogs
You can now create catalogs from playlists.
You can now create catalogs directly from an iPod.

Publishing catalogs
You can now publish catalogs directly to .Mac.
You can now publish catalogs using Web Sharing.

Preferences
The preferences window now uses a toolbar.
Added a preference to change the default library name.

Languages
Added French language support (thanks to Fr

« iPod ‘jack sharing’

iTunes Music Store Wins Webby Business Award »

Comments

*Patiently waiting for a Windows version*

Posted by SpideyXP on November 5, 2003 at 10:09 AM (CST)

No kidding—Cool program!

Posted by azdude_15gb on November 5, 2003 at 10:16 AM (CST)

*Patiently waiting for a Windows version*

Most people generally know that Media Center is second-to-none when it comes to managing audio and video. But fewer people know that it also manages photos and graphics, associates and obtains album art, and during playback can display the album art either plain or texture-mapped onto various designs and landscapes.

Those in the know, well, know, of course that Media Center also provides HTML and XML playlist and library output options. You want your Library in a HTML format using a template? No problem!

You want raw XML output, so you can feed it into another program or modify it using XSLT? No Problem!

But then that is what you expect from the best!

Posted by MC9 on November 5, 2003 at 11:10 AM (CST)

I have used the trial of MC9, twice actually. Thought it was great software.
But I opted for iTunes mostly because it was free and seamless works with the iPod. Also my expectation is that iTunes, especially on Windows, is in its infancy, and will come to offer many of the great things that MC9 already does but at a price.

Other than its being unstable at times on the 3 machines I had it installed on I thought MC9 was a great piece of software, constantly updated and made better. But it

Posted by SpideyXP on November 5, 2003 at 12:24 PM (CST)

I’m personally getting real tired of MC9 jumping in every time someone likes a particular app or wished that a PC version of a Mac app were available.  His (or Her) incessant haranguing with comments like “If only you tried Media Center blah blah blah” ad nauseum, just insure that I will never use MC9 even if it were free.

I don’t like spam in emails, and I don’t like it in discussion threads.  I’m tired of thread jackers logging onto discussion boards to spew some marketing hype.  Genuine discussions about MediaCenter are welcome, just keep the marketing department away from me.

Thx

Posted by Gilatrout on November 5, 2003 at 12:38 PM (CST)

“Other than its being unstable at times on the 3 machines I had it installed on”

That’s a good point. Earlier builds of MC9 were of questionable stability, especially if your machine had older DirectX or DirectShow filters installed. I put off upgrading from the (very stable) MJ8 to MC9 until they had a few patches out and had got to the 9.1.x level.

MJ8 also had the virtue of having a free (limited) edition and a pay (advanced) edition. I do think they should and will bring that back to compete with iTunes.

The latest build is *much* more robust. But then, the same can be said for iTunes on Windows. It’s the curse of Windows machines!

You know using MC9 with iPod is a snap?

iPod User Guide for Media Center 9

Posted by MC9 on November 5, 2003 at 12:44 PM (CST)

The first time I used the trial was in one of version 8’s iteration, the most recent time was version 9.1 which I used for the whole month of October. The crashes occurred at odd times, in some cases during ripping, in others during CD lookup. It wasn’t terrible but still surprising that after all their tweaks and upgrades it had the same stability as I found in version 8. Syncing with the iPod went well but not as seamless as iTunes. And again there is something to be said for getting an app for free as opposed to $40. MC9 worked great and is an outstanding alternative but to me its improvements over iTunes just didn

Posted by SpideyXP on November 5, 2003 at 2:19 PM (CST)

Yeah MC9 does rage on a bit.

He/She reminds me as a Scientologist or fat Atkins Food Diet maniac. But i been using Media Centre for 3 months with iPod and it is cool.

but before today i never saw it’s way to put song lists into web pages. for that i am grateful. Now i don’t need to pay for another software for that.

but before today i never know i would want to see song lists into web pages so i learned two things today!

Posted by dougal on November 5, 2003 at 2:22 PM (CST)

Hey there Gilatrout when you’re precious Musicmatch Jukebox can do whatever this is doing then you can gloat too. I own an iPod so I am used to gloating! You just need more practise. Gloat! Gloat! I say if you got it then flaunt it baby, flaunt it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by maxbilayistock on November 5, 2003 at 3:59 PM (CST)

MC9 is a real “fanboy” here…talk about bias…he gets in a tissy if someone doesn’t want to pay $40.00 for a product that they can get for FREE.  Hmm.  MC9 is okay in my opinion..just okay…nothing I would be 40 dollars for.  19.95…sure..I probably would.

Posted by eric on November 5, 2003 at 5:09 PM (CST)

Apple should give this s/w to .Mac subscribers. They could add a link to every song you publish that’s available at the iTMS.

Posted by rdowns in NYC on November 5, 2003 at 6:27 PM (CST)

“he gets in a tissy if someone doesn’t want to pay $40.00 for a product that they can get for FREE”

Firstly, I am not a he but a she.

Secondly, I am not in a tizzy if, after overpaying for an iPod, you are underpaying for your jukebox software. Personally, it seems ludicrous to me that, given the extraordinary 3rd-party economy that feasts richly on the deep pockets of iPodders, you are unwilling to shell out $40 to improve your entire media experience. But we all make our own choices.

iTunes is a reasonable piece of software, but you get what you pay for. It does a few things quite well, but is limited in its flexibility, performance, expandability, device support, skins, and formats. Maybe with the new revenue from the iTMS Apple will have an incentive to improve iTunes, perhaps offering more format support, a more-developed API, and some more Web Services for it.

But free is free and pay is pay. One of the endless debates within the MC community is whether the product is priced too *low* to impress. Taking the Coco Chanel route could produce dividends. Given that MC9 actually does the work of several dozen lesser programs (that generally nickel and dime you with $10 here, $15 there), MC9 is more accurately described as a media platform rather than an application.

When you are a child you can use childish toys. When you beomce an adult and grow a serious media collection, then it is time to play with grown-up toys. iTunes does not scale well for multiple media, video, or beyond 40K files. God knows I tried.

But when you find you have reached the limits of your freeware, don’t be shy about stepping up to the plate to play with the big girls.

Posted by MC9 on November 5, 2003 at 10:19 PM (CST)

See? it’s posts like that which make us hate the program.  Stop evangelizing with vitriol.

If you have to hammer your software to the church door just to get noticed, then maybe you’re not all you think you are.  Relax.  We all know MC9 in there.

Posted by stark23x on November 18, 2003 at 5:43 PM (CST)

“When you are a child you can use childish toys. When you beomce an adult and grow a serious media collection, then it is time to play with grown-up toys.”

Sounds vaguely familiar….

Posted by kainjow on November 18, 2003 at 6:05 PM (CST)

Jesus Loves You.

And Steve as well!

Posted by MC5s on November 18, 2003 at 7:27 PM (CST)

Hmm never an allusion to the Bible when talking about iPod software… :)

Posted by kainjow on November 18, 2003 at 7:35 PM (CST)

Yea all the fuss about artwork and i wondered how to get artwork into itunes. Now i know, buy a mac and give apple $10 bucks.Funny all that bitching about Musicmatch and it imports artwork free when it gets info from the web when you rip a cd.Sounds like a microsoft plan to me that apple learned from little billy gates.
The good thing is that all my cd’s that i ripped with that poor MM and imported to itunes has the artwork with the songs that itunes won’t get without a lot of extra work.Don’t get me wrong i like itunes and use it but it would be nice if itunes got the artwork like MM

Posted by justaguy on November 18, 2003 at 9:34 PM (CST)

I rip the song using itunes, go to amazon.com and get the art work for the song’s album cover (right click and save) and apply the art work to the song I ripped.

Posted by gear on November 19, 2003 at 4:55 AM (CST)

Posts like the one above by make me do shift+del the MC9 trial!
Give me a break!

Posted by Unbeliever on November 19, 2003 at 5:55 AM (CST)

gear—

No need to right-click and save the amazon artwork… Drag right from IE to the iTunes artwork box.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on November 19, 2003 at 6:06 AM (CST)