Mac: iVolt 1.0 iPod battery meter hack | iLounge News

Mac: iVolt 1.0 iPod battery meter hack

Just wanted to get the news out about the third generation iPod’s nifty little battery icon trick. You can use iVolt to easily toggle the battery icon into a voltage meter and back again.

« ProClip announces in-car holders for iPod mini

podSERVE CD encoding service launched in UK »

Comments

Anything for windows?

Posted by Pigpen65 on March 5, 2004 at 6:10 PM (CST)

There is a Windows one, it was just posted with a typo.  The first MAC OSX link is a zip file for Windows.

Posted by aznfrk288 on March 5, 2004 at 7:44 PM (CST)

Thankyou, that’s very helpful!

Posted by Pigpen65 on March 5, 2004 at 7:58 PM (CST)

Not a typo, .zip works in OS X.3 :o)

Posted by kalub88 on March 5, 2004 at 8:01 PM (CST)

OK, got the zip file, and excuse my ignorance but now what do I do with it?

There appear to be two files in the zip

Thanks
-Scott

Posted by matrix42 on March 5, 2004 at 8:38 PM (CST)

Erm, there is no Windows version here, the .zip contains the.app file

Posted by Tone on March 5, 2004 at 8:41 PM (CST)

Anyone know if this will work on the mini?

Posted by Fusion on March 5, 2004 at 8:49 PM (CST)

How do we install this?

Posted by what? on March 5, 2004 at 8:57 PM (CST)

if u want something like this get it off ipodhacks.com. its pretty good.

Posted by zeve on March 5, 2004 at 9:01 PM (CST)

Been to ipodhacks and nothing there that I could find that fits this description for 3G’s or mini’s
-S

Posted by matrix42 on March 5, 2004 at 9:15 PM (CST)

Posted by tariq on March 5, 2004 at 10:24 PM (CST)

I did the “hack” to my iPod and it jumped around as much (if not worse) than the original iPod meter.  Since my Ipod does not have the four bar progressions, it is kinda pointless to change it.  The hack jumped from 447 to 480 to 390 in a matter of three 4 minute songs.  I wouldn’t bother “hacking” your iPod, just stick with the factory meter.

Posted by whybother on March 5, 2004 at 10:44 PM (CST)

OK first off this guy who made this program is not thinking straight at all. Why doesn’t he just .sit it or .dmg it, and not get people confused? Second http://www.kumo.kainjow.com/Volt2Go.zip for you PC fans.

Posted by kainjow on March 5, 2004 at 11:50 PM (CST)

OS X Panther’s built-in compression/decompression is .zip. It’s the Mac standard now :)

DMG’s are fine but unnecessary for simple things, and can’t be created by a simple right-click like .zips can be.

Posted by Nagromme on March 6, 2004 at 5:06 AM (CST)

I was being sarcastic. Aznfrk is a tool!

Posted by Pigpen65 on March 6, 2004 at 6:37 AM (CST)

hey, if your looking for a pc version just download the volume boost it has an option in it to use the battery meter and is ver easy to install/un-install :)

Posted by -i2i- on March 6, 2004 at 6:50 AM (CST)

There are a few similar “hacks” for the iPod. I know of one (although pretty pointless) that allows you to disable the iPod’s memory cache. All you need to do is out a specially named file in the right spot.

Posted by Freedom Fighter on March 6, 2004 at 8:51 AM (CST)

Actually after trying a few of these hacks they are pretty meaningless ( as is the stock meter). I guess it must be extremely difficult to provide an accurate battery meter. Perhaps what would be more useful would be a timer, showing how much time the pod has been on since last charged….
So far all I can really say about mine is that when the battery meter says 0 I have between 1-2 hrs left

Posted by matrix42 on March 6, 2004 at 4:27 PM (CST)

This is probably more useful for those with the older firmware 2.0.1, which only has the 4 stage battery meter.

The reason why I don’t upgrade is because I can’t find the .bin file _without_ the stupid installer, and I don’t know how to extract the binary file out of the installer either. (this is because there is no Linux version of the installer, and the only computer that I have that has FW is a Lin. box)

Posted by Sraphim on March 6, 2004 at 4:53 PM (CST)

This hack messed up my ipods battery icon. It keeps going up, then after a few songs it makes a huge drop, then after I turn the music off it goes up again. Did this happen to anyone else?

Posted by WOLFMAN on March 7, 2004 at 5:47 AM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >