Mac mini launches, but iPod shuffle draws crowd | iLounge News

Mac mini launches, but iPod shuffle draws crowd

picThough the line ran more than a hundred people deep by the early, 9:00am opening of Apple’s flagship Orange County store in Costa Mesa, California, the crowd wasn’t there for today’s release of Apple’s Mac mini personal computer - two-thirds of those we spoke with said that they were waiting only for Apple’s new iPod shuffle. The cheapest iPod has been in exceedingly short supply since its January 11th launch, with reports that hundreds of units have sold out within hours from virtually every store that has stocked them.

picSeveral minutes before the store opened, an Apple Store employee (the “sacrificial lamb”) delivered disappointing news to the gathered crowd: the store had only a small but unspecified number of shuffle units, and each customer would be limited to only one. The store would take the phone numbers of all remaining customers and give them priority on an impending shipment expected within the next day. No such limitation was placed on the purchase of Mac mini computers, which at $499 and up are expected to infuse significant new life into the Macintosh computer user base.

Customers began to line up at 5:00am to enter the Apple Store, but surprisingly, the first five people in line were not all there to purchase the Mac mini on its release date - several wanted shuffles only. Most of the crowd appeared an hour before the store opened, and after Apple announced the limitation on shuffle sales, many believed that they would not be able to walk away with units today, but remained in line regardless. Demand was split evenly between those wanting 512MB ($99) models and those wanting 1GB ($149) shuffles. However, one student and dedicated Mac fan near the front of the line described the Mac mini as “cute,” and expressed interest in the new machine.

No Apple discounts or promotional offers were available at the launch event. But the South Coast Plaza shopping mall offered free gift bags to the first 50 people in line, containing luggage tags and fabric arm bags branded with the mall’s logo.

pic
pic
pic
pic
pic
pic
pic

« New iDockCovers, MockDock announced

iLounge upgrades servers, more coming »

Comments

Hmmm, I wonder what the doubters are thinking right now.

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on January 22, 2005 at 11:13 AM (CST)

were any mac mini units on display for testing/playing with?

Posted by StinkieDMB in Pittsburgh, PA on January 22, 2005 at 11:55 AM (CST)

There were only 2 Mac minis on display…

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 22, 2005 at 12:01 PM (CST)

There’s 3 here at the Chandler AZ store…

...and about half the computers are loaded with iLife ‘05 and iWork.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on January 22, 2005 at 12:07 PM (CST)

Yeah the shuffle is awesome, and is going to sell more than the iPod and mini.

Posted by FluidG4 on January 22, 2005 at 12:11 PM (CST)

Most of the people I see claiming to “need” an iPod Shuffle for the gym do not appear to be gym-going people. Never before have I seen “gym”, “exercise” and “health” used as an excuse to get the newest toy available.

I don’t know anyone who wants to deal with head phones or ear buds when he is lifting or running. I can’t stand having anything in my ears when I am trying to focus on exercising. Music can be nice, but it certainly is not necessary for anyone I know who is serious about exercising.

For me, even the new tiny iPod Shuffle would get in my way.

Posted by Lokai on January 22, 2005 at 1:37 PM (CST)

In my opinion is more of a USB thumbdrive that plays mp3s than an mp3 player itself.  Apple apparently has convinced people that not knowing what song is playing next is cool.  So props to them on another marketing job well done.  The fact that these sell well is because of the iPod name.  If Creative came out with the exact same player it would not sell as well.  Plain and simple.

Posted by adrenaline on January 22, 2005 at 1:49 PM (CST)

That, plus Creative’s player would likely not be of comparable quality or look as good. Too bad for Creative.

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on January 22, 2005 at 1:54 PM (CST)

For me, even the new tiny iPod Shuffle would get in my way.

————————————-

Very good point! Whenever I make facial expressions or such as trying hard to lift weights my ears hurt when I have the ear buds in them because when you tighten up your muscles the rest of your body tightens up too including your ear muscles.

However the iPod shuffle would be great for cardio at the gym such as on the treadmill for extended periods of time.

Posted by AppleFreak on January 22, 2005 at 3:14 PM (CST)

Also, creative hasn’t realized that it’s the end-to-end solution that people are buying with Apple.  It’s not just the player, but the iTunes integration as well.

Posted by m. sherman in Northern VA on January 22, 2005 at 3:15 PM (CST)

I’m still going to sit and wait longer to buy a Shuffle. I’m using my 3G iPod at the gym, for jogging, and every day stuff right now I don’t see an immediate need for the shuffle… time will tell, but kudos to those that were able to get their hands on one. The demand is going to be insane!

Posted by FallN in New York, NY on January 22, 2005 at 3:17 PM (CST)

The Apple Store in Bethesda, MD had about 50 people waiting to get in this morning.  They had 18 Shuffles on hand.  I was number 12 in line, but because they let people buy more than one, I did not get one.  The store managers apparently set the policy about how this will be handled, and said that Apple does not provide guidelines.  This store manager also decided not to put the people who waited in line to get a Shuffle on any kind of a priority list for when additional stock becomes available.  This is bad customer relations.

dewarner

Posted by dewarner on January 22, 2005 at 3:44 PM (CST)

I think I want a mac mini

Posted by AndyDK in USA on January 22, 2005 at 4:25 PM (CST)

I heard they are not user upgradeable, does anyone know if this is true?  From the pics, it appears as thought the RAM is easily accessible .....

Posted by AndyDK in USA on January 22, 2005 at 4:26 PM (CST)

Do any of the stores have 1gig shuffles?  I still have a est. ship date on 1/27 for my 1 gig.

Posted by Xenious on January 22, 2005 at 5:22 PM (CST)

dewarner—-

You should have been at the Chandler store, where one of the first people in the 70-person-long line supposedly bought 6 of the 40 Mac Mini’s available.  Someone else bought 10.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on January 22, 2005 at 5:48 PM (CST)

I think they are probably going to resell those for a lot more on eBay.

Posted by frankthetank on January 22, 2005 at 6:13 PM (CST)

In Denver, CO my CompUSA had boatloads of shuffles. They’ve actually had em for a week but couldn’t put them out. Some friends and I waltzed in this morning.. no line, no rush.

If folks want shuffles try thinking outside the box.  ;)

Posted by bedoughty in Denver, CO on January 23, 2005 at 2:53 AM (CST)

I think it’s iTunes… To be frank i’ve used loads of syncing apps, from Samsung’s propietory parallel port software that loadeds ongs onto my Yepp to RealJukebox, and none of them match iTunes in terms of usability and how it always works (for me at least)... With my old yepp, the songs wouldnt trasnfer half of the time; and RealJukebox just lags with anything more than a few hundred songs.

Posted by oplex on January 23, 2005 at 3:03 AM (CST)

I WAS THERE!!!

You can’t see me because the Palm Tree leaf is on the way.
BTW Me, my girlfriend, and buddy were 48th, 49th & 50th in line, so we got the gift bag.

I got a Mac mini while my friend had to wait for his till they call him.

Posted by idesign562 in Long Beach on January 23, 2005 at 4:07 AM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >