Mac mini launches, but iPod shuffle draws crowd | iLounge News

Mac mini launches, but iPod shuffle draws crowd

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Saturday, January 22, 2005
News Categories: iPod shuffle

picThough the line ran more than a hundred people deep by the early, 9:00am opening of Apple’s flagship Orange County store in Costa Mesa, California, the crowd wasn’t there for today’s release of Apple’s Mac mini personal computer - two-thirds of those we spoke with said that they were waiting only for Apple’s new iPod shuffle. The cheapest iPod has been in exceedingly short supply since its January 11th launch, with reports that hundreds of units have sold out within hours from virtually every store that has stocked them.

picSeveral minutes before the store opened, an Apple Store employee (the “sacrificial lamb”) delivered disappointing news to the gathered crowd: the store had only a small but unspecified number of shuffle units, and each customer would be limited to only one. The store would take the phone numbers of all remaining customers and give them priority on an impending shipment expected within the next day. No such limitation was placed on the purchase of Mac mini computers, which at $499 and up are expected to infuse significant new life into the Macintosh computer user base.

Customers began to line up at 5:00am to enter the Apple Store, but surprisingly, the first five people in line were not all there to purchase the Mac mini on its release date - several wanted shuffles only. Most of the crowd appeared an hour before the store opened, and after Apple announced the limitation on shuffle sales, many believed that they would not be able to walk away with units today, but remained in line regardless. Demand was split evenly between those wanting 512MB ($99) models and those wanting 1GB ($149) shuffles. However, one student and dedicated Mac fan near the front of the line described the Mac mini as “cute,” and expressed interest in the new machine.

No Apple discounts or promotional offers were available at the launch event. But the South Coast Plaza shopping mall offered free gift bags to the first 50 people in line, containing luggage tags and fabric arm bags branded with the mall’s logo.

pic
pic
pic
pic
pic
pic
pic

« New iDockCovers, MockDock announced

iLounge upgrades servers, more coming »

Comments

idesign…How is the Mac Mini…..

Posted by AndyDK in USA on January 23, 2005 at 5:35 AM (PDT)

I don’t care about knowing what the next song is or even that much about being able to choose exactly the song I want to hear.

Steve Jobs called it right and I almost always am listening to my 30 gig iPod in shuffle mode.  The only reason I will miss the screen sometimes is to look up a song that is playing but I can’t remember its name or who it is by, etc.  (My collection is up to 6000 songs now)

I might use it a bit for exercising but I think the real appeal for me will be that it is so small and light and robust (no moving parts) and cheap. I can just grab it and stuff it in a pocket and go.  The USB stick function might come in handy too. Also after I get one I will feel alright about letting my 3 year old play with it.  There is no way he is allowed to play with my iPod though.

Posted by jyakku in Yokohama, Japan on January 23, 2005 at 7:25 AM (PDT)

@ Lokai:

“Most of the people I see claiming to ‘need’ an iPod Shuffle for the gym do not appear to be gym-going people.”

How many of such people have you actually “seen” to know what they look like?

I think if you looked at “most people” with gym memberships, they probably wouldn’t appear to be gym-going people.  They can’t, won’t, or aren’t motivated to get to the gym often enough.

Anyhow, I wouldn’t say these sort of shuffle buyers are primarily “gym-goying”...  They’re primarily music listeners who would like to take their music with them if they *were* to go to the gym.  They might be more motivated to go.

Posted by SPThom on January 23, 2005 at 11:34 AM (PDT)

I think that one application that the shuffle is perfect for is audio books.

It makes it so I can keep the apple headphones and a shuffle in my pocket, so when I’m waiting around I can just play an audiobook and stop and start at my convenience.

And it’s actually easier to carry around than a real book (although, of course, reading a real book is its own experience for which there’s no replacement).

Posted by deepfriedd on January 23, 2005 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

im not surprised at the long lines, the ipod shuffle is a great product. and im happy that the mac mini is selling well too. there is a 3 to 4 week wait at the applestore online for the mac mini.

Posted by futuremac on January 23, 2005 at 1:26 PM (PDT)

I wouldn’t say these sort of shuffle buyers are primarily “gym-goying”... They’re primarily music listeners who would like to take their music with them if they *were* to go to the gym. They might be more motivated to go

===============================

so most their resolution will be achieved thanks to Apple ipod shuffle?

we won’t see fat a** around anymore? that could be nice if Apple will make them solution with ipod shuffle.

yeah, when I jog, ride a bike three times every week, I barely see people who hold ipod.

Posted by crazypod in St. Louis, MO on January 23, 2005 at 8:26 PM (PDT)

That is pretty crazy!  I really want a Mac Mini.  If you guys wants to help me out, register for this and i will give you 5 dollars through paypal.  http://www.FreeMiniMacs.com/?r=14347956
my screename is: hoveeman
if you want to talk to me about it.

Posted by Hovee on January 24, 2005 at 4:51 AM (PDT)

Regarding the use of the iPod (any variety) during exercise, I don’t agree with some of the previous posts, for a few reasons:
1. I am not a buff or thin person, but I DO go to the gym regularly (5+ times per week).  I run, lift, work abs, tan, and bike as part of my regular workout routine.
2. I use my iPod EVERY TIME I’m there.  I’ve had my little white miracle for about 2.5 years, and it has motivated me and been a faithful companion as I continue to work toward my wellness goals.
3. I know that since I have just a few playlists that I use at the gym (my iPod serves me throughout a typical day), an iPod shuffle would be handy because of its size and weight.  That, combined with flash memory instead of the hard drive, and I think I need one… NOW. wink

Anyway, I’ve seen others at the gym using their iPods, and I will continue to use mine (until it dies, it’s getting old… I might spring for a replacement battery one of these months).  Just because you don’t prefer to use the iPod during workouts, please don’t assume that others won’t either.  That’s not true, and that is the beauty of Apple.  They know that their products are being used by a huge variety of people for an unimaginable variety of purposes.

Cheers all.

Posted by GoldFishinMN in Minnesota on January 24, 2005 at 5:30 AM (PDT)

AndyDK - It is going good so far.
I have connected it to my TV, that was cool. I am installing software and all that good stuff still.
I have another Mac so I am taking my time installing all that I need to.

I do need to get some more ram.

Posted by idesign562 in Long Beach on January 24, 2005 at 5:46 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2