Mac: Ollie’s iPod Extractor 2.1 | iLounge News

Mac: Ollie’s iPod Extractor 2.1

iPod Extractor a simple and free iPod song extractor for OS X. Also included is an importer to load your songs automatically into iTunes.

What’s new in v2.1:
Version 2.1: Added more import compatibilty and ease of use

License: Freeware
System Requirements: Mac OS X 10.0 or later

« CNET: Apple: Reselling iTunes songs ‘impractical’

Refurbished iPod price drops at The Apple Store »

Comments

Or, you could just go into terminal and use that to copy all the song files onto your HD.

Posted by Sraphim on September 6, 2003 at 4:52 PM (CDT)

Well this is for the many people that don’t know how to use the terminal!

Posted by Ollie Wagner on September 6, 2003 at 5:21 PM (CDT)

*yawns* another iPod-HDD tool?

this is about the 20th app for this.

Posted by foo_foo on September 6, 2003 at 8:28 PM (CDT)

You guys have no appreciation.

Posted by Bob on September 6, 2003 at 10:22 PM (CDT)

Have no appeciation? How about some devs don’t have any clue as to knowing what is needed and filling that gap instead of just producing duplicate apps constantly?

Posted by kainjow on September 7, 2003 at 11:27 AM (CDT)

kainjow, this was my very first application. It was really just a simple project for me to learn the syntax and how to use the dev tools.

Posted by Ollie Wagner on September 7, 2003 at 11:29 AM (CDT)

Yea I understand, but usually those kind of apps you make for yourself. Once you learn the language well, you then can make a fully developed application to release to the public.

I just get annoyed with people producing the same type of app over and over and over.

Posted by kainjow on September 7, 2003 at 11:51 AM (CDT)

Then don’t use it, what’s the problem? Making a program (even small apps) isn’t walk in the park.

Posted by Bob on September 7, 2003 at 2:47 PM (CDT)

There doesn’t seem to be any documentation.  What does it do that’s better than the others?  Does this copy songs from an iPod without going through iTunes?  Does this get around the iPod “copy protection?”.

Inquiring minds want to know…

Posted by Peter on September 8, 2003 at 1:06 PM (CDT)

Peter,
Sorry I didn’t include any documentation. All it does is extracts the files directly from the iPod to a destination of your choice. It does this by executing some Command line prompts via an applescript.
If you have any troubles using it at all, feel free to email me. :)

Thanks,
Ollie

Posted by Ollie Wagner on September 8, 2003 at 7:38 PM (CDT)

DON’T USE THIS PROGRAM!!!!! IT DELETED ALL MY SONGS FROM ITUNES AND MY IPOD!!!! I HAD 900 SONGS AND IT DELETED IT IN 5 SECONDS ALL OF IT!!! DON’T USE THIS PROGRAM!!!!

Posted by Chris on September 9, 2003 at 12:40 PM (CDT)

From iTunes and your iPod? Seems hard to believe…

Posted by kainjow on September 9, 2003 at 1:27 PM (CDT)

Ok Chris, that is impossible.

It works with a simple applescript that only COPIES from your iPod, it doesn’t move. And the importer would allow you to choose the music folder that would ADD to your library, not replace even. It really is sad some people try to sabatoge even the tamest of efforts.

Posted by Ollie Wagner on September 9, 2003 at 2:37 PM (CDT)

Ya but it froze my whole computer and lost all my music!!!!

Posted by Chris on September 9, 2003 at 7:40 PM (CDT)

Take a look at your basic computer skills Chris, your story is doubtful.

Posted by Ollie Wagner on September 9, 2003 at 8:41 PM (CDT)

WHAT EVER THAN TELL ME HOW DID I LOSS 900 SONGS OFF MY COMPUTER! I HAD TO DELETE THE PROGRAM I DOWNLOAD FROM THIS SITE AND HAD TO FIX THE OTHER PROGRAMS THAT WERE DAMAGED!!!!! >:(

Posted by Chris on September 10, 2003 at 8:55 AM (CDT)

hmmm, right… Here is how this program works.

It prompts you to select your iPod, which puts it’s path into a variable ‘iPodPath’

Next it executes a shell script ‘cp -r’ that is a copy command.

Thats it, so I have no idea how it would have screwed up your computer. At the point where it would have been extracting ( where I assume is where you said you lost your music ), it wouldn’t even interact with iTunes or its Music library. And please, stop with the caps. They get very irritating.

Posted by Ollie Wagner on September 10, 2003 at 12:17 PM (CDT)

WHAT EVER JUST MAKE A BETTER PROGRAM THAT WORKS GOOD AND DOESN’T MAKE YOU LOSS ANY SONGS!!!

Posted by Chris on September 10, 2003 at 2:01 PM (CDT)

Admit it, you are not 100% sure yourself how you lost all your files. It is def. not the application’s fault. I’ve used Ollie’s with great success. Perhaps check your iTunes preferences settings, make sure you know where your library is being stored.

Posted by Kirk on January 28, 2009 at 1:50 AM (CST)

Honestly this was a huge waste of time. Not only did i have o force quit out Itunes various times because it would freeze my brand new MacBook Pro but when i finally got most of my songs onto the computer I realized that the application actually miscopied tons of songs.  Many of them are 1 to 10 seconds long, most of them have some problem (dont play, are fast forwarded, skip or just sound awful). I dont know what might have caused this but its a brand new computer therefor I dont think the computer is to blame, probably just faulty programing.  Either way, I just wasted a good 3 hours and all I got was about 3000 screwed up songs. I’m lucky if i find one in 100 that doesnt have some major issues with it, the last 10 ive listened to have skipped constantly as if a cd was scratched

Posted by Juan on November 8, 2010 at 10:24 AM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >