Mac: Pod Decloak 1.0 Released | iLounge News

Mac: Pod Decloak 1.0 Released

As you may know if you own an iPod, Apple prevents you from seeing the music files that are on the device even when it is mounted as a FireWire drive.

License: Shareware $2 (Demo limited to 100 songs)
System Requirements: Mac OS X

« iPod 10GB for $237 shipped

Tech analyst expects $199 iPod mini in 12 months »

Comments

Is there anything similar in functionality for Windows users?

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 12, 2004 at 2:35 PM (CST)

AFAIK, for windows users, simply allow the ipod to be seen as a drive (in itunes, under ipod options) and then browse to the (drive):

It should be found in a series of folders names (iirc) F00..F20

I can see all of my files there…

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 12, 2004 at 2:47 PM (CST)

Yeah, but this program does this in a new way, organising aliases on your hard drive by artist/album, for easy access. IMO this is a simpler and potentially better approach than most of the iPod to iTunes solutions out there. Unfortunately, there aren’t enough options and the program forces you to organize by genre, which is just dumb. It should organize the same way iTunes does, by artist then album, and compilations just by album.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 12, 2004 at 11:44 PM (CST)

Hi there… I was wondering if anyone can give me hints on how to change the playlists on my iPod? I find my playlist is boring and contains a lot of music I THOUGHT I wanted on it…but alas I do not. Is there a way to remove music?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 13, 2004 at 1:11 AM (CST)

For Windows try PodUtil

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 13, 2004 at 1:37 AM (CST)

You don’t need anything in windows. just open up windows find (start > search/find > files) and search for *.mp3 (*.aac, etc) on whatever drive letter windows assigns to your ipod.

Make sure your PC is set to show hidden files, though. (my computer > tools > folder options > view > “show hidden files and folders”)

Sue, to change the files on your playlist… change your playlist. Then resync the ipod.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 13, 2004 at 6:51 AM (CST)

half of my songs did not even get put into their corresponding “artist” folders!  Its sorting by Genre?  How stupid… many of my songs don’t even have genres listed.  Is there anyway around this?

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 13, 2004 at 8:45 AM (CST)

is there a way to unhide all the files on the ipod if you have a mac?

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 14, 2004 at 11:38 PM (CST)

You should be able to see them through the terminal, southstar. Try searching the forums here.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 15, 2004 at 9:04 AM (CST)

i paid for the full version and it will only do 3250 songs. it quits after that. so, i’d recommend holding out if you have a large library.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 16, 2004 at 8:58 AM (CST)

PUBLIC CORRECTION

heh i think the problem is that that many aliases start to take up space… and you can run out of room if you only have a few MB left. i don’t think its the app’s fault…

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 16, 2004 at 9:07 AM (CST)

Is there software to edit iPod on the road. Not through iTunes but stand alone iPod editing organizing. I would like to delete songs etc.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on March 15, 2004 at 11:53 AM (CST)