Mac/Windows: iPod Update (v2.2) 2004-04-28 released | iLounge News

Mac/Windows: iPod Update (v2.2) 2004-04-28 released

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, April 27, 2004
News Categories: iPod

piciPod Update 2004-04-28 supports all models of iPod and iPod mini introduced before April 28, 2004. This update is required to take advantage of new features in iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store.

Changes for iPod without a Dock connector

• Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store

• Improved playback performance

Changes for iPod with a Dock connector and iPod mini

• Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store

• Improved playback performance

• Support for the Apple Lossless Encoder, to enable compressed music encoding at high quality

What’s new in this version:

License: Freeware
    System Requirements:

Mac Requirements:
    Mac OS X v10.1.5 or later. Some features require Mac OS X v10.2.8 or later
    iTunes 4.5
    Macintosh computer with built-in FireWire

Windows Requirements:
    Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4) or Windows XP
    iTunes 4.5
    A PC with built-in FireWire or USB 2.0, or a FireWire or USB 2.0 card

• « i-magine UK accepting pre-orders on Griffin iTalk

Mac/Windows: iTunes 4.5 released »

Comments

I tried running the updater and I get a message that shows my iPod info as running 2.1 and that it is up to date and won’t go any further.

I’m definitely running the 4/28 updater program.

Posted by krzydmnd on April 28, 2004 at 3:25 AM (PDT)

does anyone know how to be sure the new iTunes version doesn’t default to auto-sync?

Posted by Daddo on April 28, 2004 at 3:35 AM (PDT)

Does it solve the problem of the buggy battery meter?

Posted by hhvuong on April 28, 2004 at 3:59 AM (PDT)

Looks like iTunes 4.5 supports importing of WMA file. I think that’s new, no?

Posted by mcdj on April 28, 2004 at 4:27 AM (PDT)

Anyone know if the iPod update allows for the “new customizable eq” in iTunes 4.5 to be adjusted and heard on iPods now?  They mentioned the 10 band eq being able to be transfered over to your iPod after you make the changes, etc to your stuff.

Posted by JBF on April 28, 2004 at 4:38 AM (PDT)

uhhh wtf, i use the usb2.0firewire cable and i get the imfamous “has been updated, please leave on!”

Posted by ranova on April 28, 2004 at 5:01 AM (PDT)

Does it solve the problem of the buggy battery meter?

Posted by jens on April 28, 2004 at 5:06 AM (PDT)

Does this update support grouping now?  I use the grouping field in iTunes and would like to create smart playlists using grouping but the ipod doesn’t recognize that field.

Posted by charlie on April 28, 2004 at 5:07 AM (PDT)

is the eq still distorted with every setting?

Posted by jens on April 28, 2004 at 5:07 AM (PDT)

It seems to be working fine, been using my ‘Pod for about an hour with the new update. I guess we’ll know by the end of the day about the battery meter, eh?
    Apple Lossless Encoder… seems like a good idea for the audiophiles, but I’m going to stick to AAC for now. The quality sounds excellent to me, and I’d rather not encode a larger sound file and have my hard drive spin up more often, battery life is precious. If you’re OK with AAC or MP3 quality, stick to it!!
    Really, my only gripe… I wanted more games!!!

Posted by UTEP_MinerPod on April 28, 2004 at 5:18 AM (PDT)

for those of you who have usb and its freezing, just hit the play button and remove the ipod. I had to reinsert it into the dock and it rebooted and i guess finished the update, now its 2.2

Posted by ranova on April 28, 2004 at 5:20 AM (PDT)

Oops, meant to answer this… mcdj, apparently it doesn’t support WMA files natively - you need to have Windows Media Player 9 installed, and what iTunes will do is convert any unprotected WMA file into whatever file format you have iTunes set to encode to. It would be nice if you could just play them in iTunes directly, but Apple will not add WMA capability to the iPod (and hence, iTunes) due to Microsoft’s licensing system. This totally avoids the licensing fee Apple would have to pay, and it’s a really smart move if you ask me.

Posted by UTEP_MinerPod on April 28, 2004 at 5:22 AM (PDT)

I don’t have a gen1/2 iPod, but at lesat these users can stop griping. They got what they wanted: a new firmware for their model of the iPod.

Next up, I would like to see ogg support, or better yet, a programming API for the iPod, allowing third party apps to run on it.

Posted by Sraphim on April 28, 2004 at 5:35 AM (PDT)

“Thus, even if it took a long time, this goes to show that Apple listens, and to a certain extent, cares about what we have to say. “

haha yea right, the “OK to Disconnect” is still there after much fuss

this update was a pos update, i dont notice any performance upgrade. I believe apple released this to stop unauthorized DRM files being played….

Posted by ranova on April 28, 2004 at 5:39 AM (PDT)

When, oh dear lord, are they going to give the iPod a simple crossfade??  When I ask!

Posted by Florentino on April 28, 2004 at 5:42 AM (PDT)

I suppose the gap between tracks has not been fixed in this update…?

Posted by Shalom on April 28, 2004 at 6:02 AM (PDT)

Can the iPod now sort playlists using the ‘comments’ field?

Posted by ToddAC on April 28, 2004 at 6:09 AM (PDT)

Bah, I call BS on this.  I upgraded my 1.3 2nd gen iPod with this update and it changed absolutely nothing.  My software is now 1.4 but thats it.  I agree with the previous poster, this wasnt about giving us new features but stopping us from playing the fairplay stuff.

If the 1.4 does indeed have new features, someone please tell me, as I can’t find any.  Still no on-the-go playlists, card game, alarms, etc etc etc

Posted by mp3zero on April 28, 2004 at 6:10 AM (PDT)

I wish Apple would provide real release notes like other software developers. The descriptions they provide are real vague and only include two or three bullets.  I’m sure there are a lot of other fixes or “features” that are not listed.  I’m still using the oddball version 2.0.2 and everything works fine for me so why upgrade?  I admit I’m not very demanding of my player.  I sure would like to have an accurate representation of the battery status though.  That feature alone would convince me to upgrade.  I don’t use iTunes other than to transfer audible.com files so those new features doesn’t appeal to me.

Posted by Tom on April 28, 2004 at 6:12 AM (PDT)

How long is the update supposed to take?  I have a usb 2.0 hookup w/ winxp and it has been going for nearly 20 minutes telling me not to disconnect.  WTH?

Posted by Matt on April 28, 2004 at 6:40 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 5 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >  Last »