Mac/Windows: iPod Update (v2.2) 2004-04-28 released | iLounge News

Mac/Windows: iPod Update (v2.2) 2004-04-28 released

piciPod Update 2004-04-28 supports all models of iPod and iPod mini introduced before April 28, 2004. This update is required to take advantage of new features in iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store.

Changes for iPod without a Dock connector

• Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store

• Improved playback performance

Changes for iPod with a Dock connector and iPod mini

• Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store

• Improved playback performance

• Support for the Apple Lossless Encoder, to enable compressed music encoding at high quality

What’s new in this version:

License: Freeware
    System Requirements:

Mac Requirements:
    Mac OS X v10.1.5 or later. Some features require Mac OS X v10.2.8 or later
    iTunes 4.5
    Macintosh computer with built-in FireWire

Windows Requirements:
    Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4) or Windows XP
    iTunes 4.5
    A PC with built-in FireWire or USB 2.0, or a FireWire or USB 2.0 card

• « i-magine UK accepting pre-orders on Griffin iTalk

Mac/Windows: iTunes 4.5 released »

Comments

“When, oh dear lord, are they going to give the iPod a simple crossfade??”

You mean you don’t carry a Vestax mixer and two iPods with you everywhere? Shame on you!

Posted by Crossfade on April 28, 2004 at 9:51 AM (CDT)

My upgrade experience was not so good. Being on the road with only my mini and a USB cable (and a USB1.1 equipped laptop) I went ahead and d/l’d the upgrade, installed it on the laptop, rebooted as requested and then ran the installed program.  All seemed to go well but at the end I was instructed to unplug the mini from the USB port and plug in the charger to allow reflashing of the firmware.  Unfortunately I don’t have the charger with me so cannot do this. I am now stuck with a mini that won’t get past a screen which alternates between showing the apple logo and a graphic indicating that power should be applied.  No access to the mini itself is possible and it is 2 days before I get home to access my charger.  Apple should really give better documentation than they have for this I feel.  Urgghhh!

Posted by solemar on April 28, 2004 at 10:02 AM (CDT)

Weeeeeell, the update actually made my iTUnes load up faster as well as made both me iPods connect faster.  Also now both of me iPods load up in the same iTunes.

Posted by CoolerPod on April 28, 2004 at 10:29 AM (CDT)

Finally after waiting over an hour to disconnect, i did it w/o the ipod telling me to.  The Apple logo appeared w/ the bar.  It did it’s thing and so far seems to be working well.

Posted by Matt on April 28, 2004 at 10:35 AM (CDT)

Hey the clock on my Win 2G synced up when i plugged it in.  New feature?

Posted by Josh on April 28, 2004 at 10:39 AM (CDT)

News about a fix of the battery-meter bug or a better eq quality anyone?

Posted by tom on April 28, 2004 at 10:40 AM (CDT)

hmm…is this happening to anyone else? (winxp)

installed iTunes 4.5…no prob.
    installed the 2.2 software, no prob.
    the updater ran fine, but upon closing the updater window, itunes opened automatically and for the last half hour it’s been reloading most if not all of my music, as if I’d clicked “restore”, which I definitely did not.

just me?

Posted by mcdj on April 28, 2004 at 11:04 AM (CDT)

Can anyone confirm or deny if the m4p to AIFF trick with Roxio Toast still works or not?

Posted by Sean on April 28, 2004 at 12:23 PM (CDT)

Don’t install this firmware unless you can plug your ipod into the wall to complete the installation.  It won’t finish the update until you plug it into the wall.  I don’t remember any of the other updates requiring this step.

Posted by wickerbill on April 28, 2004 at 12:30 PM (CDT)

itunes still won’t burn data discs!! arrrghhh.  after i burn data or mp3, nothing is recognized.  any ideas of what’s going on would be appreciated.

Posted by eric on April 28, 2004 at 12:32 PM (CDT)

Instead of using Roxio, you could just use iMovie and import the AAC - it will convert it into AIFF internally.

Posted by m4p-to-AIFF on April 28, 2004 at 12:48 PM (CDT)

> “I don’t have a gen1/2 iPod, but at lesat these users can stop griping. They got what they wanted: a new firmware for their model of the iPod.”

There’s nothing new. It doesn’t even add support for their new Apple Lossless format.

I’m going to keep my griping going.

Posted by eric on April 28, 2004 at 12:58 PM (CDT)

Well i did not need to plug mine into the wall, install went fine

Posted by iPOD on April 28, 2004 at 1:31 PM (CDT)

I can’t get the download to start and have been waiting hours. Is this normal?

Karl

Posted by Karl in Renton, Wa on April 28, 2004 at 1:55 PM (CDT)

Anyone know how this affects recording quality with griffin italk and other mics? is it still limited to 8khz?

Posted by Sean on April 28, 2004 at 2:10 PM (CDT)

I just installed the update for the iPod and it went well with no problems at all.  I haven’t checked my iPod yet because it is still charging.

I keep my iPod on manual instead of auto sync.  When I hooked up the iPod to iTunes after upgrade, it did not default to auto-sync.  My iPod was still on manual sync.

As for Data disk, I could burn Data Disk with the previous iTunes before this upgraded.  So maybe it depends on what type of burner you have on your computer.  I have a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA 4020B burner and have been able to burn Data disk since the last upgrade when my burner was recognized by iTunes.

Posted by iPodite on April 28, 2004 at 2:25 PM (CDT)

What does everyone think of the improved bass response with this release??

Posted by PapaJosh on April 28, 2004 at 2:27 PM (CDT)

The “OK to Disconnect” bug seems to be fixed. A Windows-formatted iPod is still not as snappy as a Mac-formatted one, but the screen does revert back to normal play.

Posted by Questioner on April 28, 2004 at 2:45 PM (CDT)

I can confirm that the distortion on EQ especially when using bass booster seems to be fix. Before this upgrade, that EQ was like listening to underwater sound. Bass reponse when no EQ is still the same though.

Posted by WoW on April 28, 2004 at 2:45 PM (CDT)

“Don’t install this firmware unless you can plug your ipod into the wall to complete the installation. It won’t finish the update until you plug it into the wall…

By wickerbill on Apr 28, 04 11:30 am”

Huh?  Umm, wouldn’t it be wiser to render your comment as personal experience, instead of of making sound like fact?  I had no reason to plug the ipod into an outlet.  Nor have I ever heard anyone else mention it before. Please point me to the page where this method is documented.

The fact is, you must stand on one foot while humming the Canadian national anthem for the update to complete.

Posted by mcdj on April 28, 2004 at 3:12 PM (CDT)

Page 3 of 5 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >