Mac/Windows: iPod Update (v2.2) 2004-04-28 released | iLounge News

Mac/Windows: iPod Update (v2.2) 2004-04-28 released

piciPod Update 2004-04-28 supports all models of iPod and iPod mini introduced before April 28, 2004. This update is required to take advantage of new features in iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store.

Changes for iPod without a Dock connector

• Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store

• Improved playback performance

Changes for iPod with a Dock connector and iPod mini

• Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store

• Improved playback performance

• Support for the Apple Lossless Encoder, to enable compressed music encoding at high quality

What’s new in this version:

License: Freeware
    System Requirements:

Mac Requirements:
    Mac OS X v10.1.5 or later. Some features require Mac OS X v10.2.8 or later
    iTunes 4.5
    Macintosh computer with built-in FireWire

Windows Requirements:
    Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4) or Windows XP
    iTunes 4.5
    A PC with built-in FireWire or USB 2.0, or a FireWire or USB 2.0 card

• « i-magine UK accepting pre-orders on Griffin iTalk

Mac/Windows: iTunes 4.5 released »

Comments

1.4 is it for a 2nd gen. You need a 3rd gen for 2.1 or higher firmware to work.

Posted by mike on May 4, 2004 at 12:39 PM (CDT)

“1.4 is it for a 2nd gen. You need a 3rd gen for 2.1 or higher firmware to work.”

Exactly. Apple doesn’t want you to be able to easily add new features or fix bugs on older iPods. Planned obsolescence is the key here. You want the new features, you are expected to pay the Apple Tax and buy a new iPod.

This may change soon:

Posted by Firmware on May 4, 2004 at 12:42 PM (CDT)

mcdj, the same happened to me.  I installed itunes 4.5 no problem, installed the 2.2 update - no problem

but then itunes opened automatically and for the next 20 minutes or so updated my ipod with what seemed to be the entire playlist (!!?!) I don’t see any duplicates on the ipod, and no duplicates on itunes…what exactly changed?

The only other change I notice is before the update I had about 8 gigs free now I only have 5.5 gigs free.  I haven’t added new music after the update and my ipod was “synced” before the update. Were there songs not previously syncing before the update that the update now syncs?

I’m a bit confused… probably time for me to go through my songs and clean that up!

Posted by kami on May 4, 2004 at 5:24 PM (CDT)

I had the same problem where the updater never seems to finish.
    I’m running XP
    I figured out how to fix it by going down to the task bar by the clock and selecting the icon to disconnect USB devices.
    Look at the properties till u find the apple ipod mass storage device and tell it to stop.
    After that the ipod will show the apple logo with a status bar.  It will finish in about 10 seconds and then everything will be cool.

Posted by DosU2Death on May 14, 2004 at 2:30 PM (CDT)

I’ve had the “wait until the update finishes” message when updating my 3G 15 gb iPod on Windows XP over USB 2.0.  I did a lot of research on this problem, and basically, if you get this message, wait a few minutes to make sure the iPod isn’t thinking, and go to the system tray and eject the iPod from the “safely remove hardware icon.”  Eject it, unplug it, and then the Apple logo comes up and the update finishes.

Posted by Jay on May 27, 2004 at 10:43 AM (CDT)

help! i installed my ipod with ipod linux, and i messed it up. i then stupidly formmatted the ipod using windows explorer. no when i turn my ipod on, all i get is a picture of a charging unit plugging into a outlet. it then promptly turns off, and now i can’t get it to do anything. Can anypne please help me?

Posted by E. A. Smith on July 25, 2005 at 11:33 PM (CDT)

Page 5 of 5 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5