Mac/Windows: iTunes 4.5 released | iLounge News

Mac/Windows: iTunes 4.5 released

piciTunes 4.5 has been announced by Apple within the iTunes Music Store.

What’s new in iTunes:

• Free Downloads/Single of the Week

• iMix - Publish Your Playlists

• Music Videos

• Movie Trailers

• Radio Charts

• Party Shuffle

• CD Insert Printing

• Wish List

• Import WMA Files (Windows)

• Lossless Encoder

• Links to Music Store (Requires iTunes 4.5)

What’s new in this version:

pic

License: Freeware
    System Requirements:

Windows

Windows XP or 2000
    500 MHz Pentium class processor or better
    QuickTime 6.5.1 (included)
    128 MB RAM minimum/256 RAM recommended
    Latest Windows service packs recommended
    Supported CD-RW drive to burn CDs, video display card, soundcard
    DSL, cable modem, or LAN-based high-speed Internet connection recommended for buying and streaming music

Macintosh

Mac OS X v10.1.5 or later
    400MHz G3 processor or better
    QuickTime 6.2 required to encode AAC
    128 MB RAM minimum/256 RAM recommended

• « Mac/Windows: iPod Update (v2.2) 2004-04-28 released

Future Sonics announces SofterWear custom earphone sleeves »

Comments

I recently finished ripping my cd collection using itunes. I imported the songs as 224 mp3s. Would I be able to hear the difference if I reripped them using iTunes 4.5 with the new lossless encoder?

Posted by Randy on April 28, 2004 at 6:34 AM (CDT)

For those questioning the Free Foo Fighters song. Once you are running 4.5, clicking on the link brings up the entire album listing, but My Hero will now show as free, worked like a charm.
    Until you upgrade, the price shows as .99.

Posted by MacCodeSmith on April 28, 2004 at 7:11 AM (CDT)

Randy, as for reripping to lossless audio, it depends on what music you have. If it’s mainstream pop you will not hear a difference, even if the mp3 is just 128k, but if it’s orchestral classical music, then mp3 just won’t cut it.

Ofcourse, the best way to know is to rip the same song over and over under different formats and different bitrates, and then listen to it. Do that with a few songs that represents your collection. Also, it’s not necessary to rip everything in the same format. I have a mixture of 192kbit AAC and 256kbit AAC files. In my experience AAC sounds better than mp3 at lower bitrates, but everyone’s ears work differently.

Posted by Joeri on April 28, 2004 at 8:17 AM (CDT)

as itunes supports wma and there is new ipod firmware, does that mean the ipod has wma support? can someone test this as i don’t have any wma’s and im just curious.

Posted by Jim on April 28, 2004 at 8:24 AM (CDT)

new lossless codec is @ 665kbs. sound is similar to 320kbs ubernet standard eac+lame encoded mp3s played in a tweaked foobar… but they rip fast (17x compared to my avg of like 2.5x with eac). it’s nice if you have a ton of CDs.

Posted by widds on April 28, 2004 at 8:27 AM (CDT)

iTunes supports *conversion* of unprotected WMA content, it doesn’t playback WMA directly, and neither does the iPod.

Posted by Jeff Miller on April 28, 2004 at 8:34 AM (CDT)

widds, I tried the lossless codec, and it became 817kbps with me. Although, to be fair, I was encoding charlotte church’s enchantment (very sensitive to encoding format, sounds like crap in the itunes store format).

Those 17x speeds are without error correction. When I turn that on in the settings ripping speed drops to 3x. Though, without error correction I get pops and clicks here and there, so…

Posted by Joeri on April 28, 2004 at 8:50 AM (CDT)

hmm probably a VBR encode then, since the only setting for me was “automatic” under quality. Yes it was without error control.

Posted by widds on April 28, 2004 at 8:52 AM (CDT)

I noticed this morning that there’s a noticeable difference in playback quality on everything (including AAC and MP3). I listen on an iPod and my Powerbook with a pair of Sennheiser headphones. One example is Guster’s album Keep It Together. I ripped the CD with 192 and 224 AAC and MP3, and there was always this annoying chirping sound on playback that wasn’t here when listening to the CD. It was bad enough to keep me from listening to the ripped version, but this morning I decided to see if there was a difference after the iTunes/QuickTime updates. Miraculously, the chirping sound is completely gone (without having to re-rip the album)! Color me happy!

Posted by Papajosh on April 28, 2004 at 9:04 AM (CDT)

Now all of the people who wanted to use iTunes but had ripped their CDs with WMP and didn’t want to have to re-rip them all can make the switch. Brilliant.

Posted by Biff on April 28, 2004 at 9:22 AM (CDT)

Is there any way to update iTunes, or do I just download and install?  I don’t want to lose my current library and playlists…

Posted by john on April 28, 2004 at 9:37 AM (CDT)

Now I bet all those Apple AAC heads who kept saying “Loss is useless, I love AAC” will somehow find it in their hearts to switch to *Apple* Lossless.

FLAC still rules.

Posted by Lossless on April 28, 2004 at 9:47 AM (CDT)

You can authorize up to 5 computers now.

Posted by Eddy Tofslie on April 28, 2004 at 10:11 AM (CDT)

John,

I can’t state definitively on 4.5 since I haven’t updated yet, but you should be able to download and install without missing a beat. All your library settings, playlists and ratings should show up just fine in 4.5.

If you’re still wary, open up your Music Folder and make a duplicate of the iTunes Library file you see in that folder. Again, I can’t speak with absolute certainty as my work computer doesn’t have iTunes, but if you archive that file, you should be just fine.

Anyone else care to solidify things for me?

dennis

Posted by Dennis on April 28, 2004 at 10:39 AM (CDT)

Question:

Do Smart Playlists have an option to Shuffle by Album? I know that shuffle by Song and Artist were in there and was hoping they hooked me up with my one request for iTunes.

dennis

Posted by Dennis on April 28, 2004 at 11:28 AM (CDT)

No one’s mentioned the music video and movie trailer feature in the Music Store.  Pretty cool new feature and is perhaps a hint as to the future of iPods.

Posted by Brian on April 28, 2004 at 11:36 AM (CDT)

I didn’t have to upgrade to get the free song

Xtoast
    =:-{))

Posted by Xtoast in midwest usa on April 28, 2004 at 12:27 PM (CDT)

Upgraded to 4.5 at work and at home ... got the free track ... memory usage seems significantly higher than 4.2, though. Peak I’ve seen so far is 64MB ... I usually didn’t crack 50MB with the previous version. All in all, not to shabby!

Posted by J N D 3 on April 28, 2004 at 12:48 PM (CDT)

The Windows help file says that iTunes is now scriptable via COM—anybody know anything about this?

Posted by Noel on April 28, 2004 at 1:17 PM (CDT)

It’s nice that they added a wish list, but it’s not a true wishlist. It just allows you to drag previews to a playlist, and you can’t create a playlist on your iPod and drag them there if you use more then one computer. It’s a step in the right direction, but I wish they would have implemented an online wishlist so I could store all the bookmarks from the store I now have.

Posted by metric152 on April 28, 2004 at 1:53 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >