Mac/Windows: iTunes 4.5 released | iLounge News

Mac/Windows: iTunes 4.5 released

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, April 27, 2004
News Categories: iTunes

piciTunes 4.5 has been announced by Apple within the iTunes Music Store.

What’s new in iTunes:

• Free Downloads/Single of the Week

• iMix - Publish Your Playlists

• Music Videos

• Movie Trailers

• Radio Charts

• Party Shuffle

• CD Insert Printing

• Wish List

• Import WMA Files (Windows)

• Lossless Encoder

• Links to Music Store (Requires iTunes 4.5)

What’s new in this version:

pic

License: Freeware
    System Requirements:

Windows

Windows XP or 2000
    500 MHz Pentium class processor or better
    QuickTime 6.5.1 (included)
    128 MB RAM minimum/256 RAM recommended
    Latest Windows service packs recommended
    Supported CD-RW drive to burn CDs, video display card, soundcard
    DSL, cable modem, or LAN-based high-speed Internet connection recommended for buying and streaming music

Macintosh

Mac OS X v10.1.5 or later
    400MHz G3 processor or better
    QuickTime 6.2 required to encode AAC
    128 MB RAM minimum/256 RAM recommended

• « Mac/Windows: iPod Update (v2.2) 2004-04-28 released

Future Sonics announces SofterWear custom earphone sleeves »

Comments

I just seen the news article and updated my iTunes and it downloaded with no problems.  I also downloaded the iPod update.  My iPod is still charging and I haven’t looked at it as of yet.

iTunes is scriptable?  I will have to check this out.  I wonder if it means windows now has the apple script features?  This would be nice if that’s what it is.

Posted by iPodite on April 28, 2004 at 10:57 AM (PDT)

Has anybody had install problems? I’m getting: iTunes could not connect to the Music Store. An unknown error occured: (-3259). Check your internet connection .... My internet connection is working just fine. .... Have uninstalled and reinstalled and get same problem.

Posted by djl on April 28, 2004 at 11:00 AM (PDT)

I’m having the same problem here.  Can’t connect.  Maybe it’s down right now?

Posted by TexasAg on April 28, 2004 at 11:03 AM (PDT)

yes iTMS is down atm… haha maybe they didnt anticipate that the bandwdith would increase significantly with movie trailers and music videos being available?

Posted by noogabooga on April 28, 2004 at 11:15 AM (PDT)

Important to know - iTunes 4.5 breaks the PlayFair DRM remover. Songs downloaded as of today (including the free Foo Fighters song) list Fairplay Version 2 protection. Older songs listed Fairplay Version 1.

Posted by Clark on April 28, 2004 at 11:41 AM (PDT)

iTunes for Windows does indeed now have a COM interface.  COM is more or less equivalent to AppleScript, and you can use almost any language to talk to it (JavaScript, Visual Basic, C#, C++, Perl, etc.).

Posted by Jeff on April 28, 2004 at 1:24 PM (PDT)

To connect, make sure your internet accelerator is off if you have a dial up connection.

Posted by Roger on April 28, 2004 at 1:50 PM (PDT)

Anyone know if MyTunes breaks with the upgrade?

Posted by mrklaw on April 28, 2004 at 2:09 PM (PDT)

MyTunes doesnt work with 4.5

Posted by Green on April 28, 2004 at 3:01 PM (PDT)

Is there a reference to the COM scripting anywhere?

Posted by Noel on April 28, 2004 at 3:36 PM (PDT)

Not yet.  You might check the following URL in the next day or so:

Posted by Jeff on April 28, 2004 at 3:56 PM (PDT)

doe any one know what happens when you install 4.5 and are suing plugins such as whitecap, mplugin, and listen-to???

Posted by rivlinm on April 28, 2004 at 4:47 PM (PDT)

iTunes 4.5 will not run properly for me. It converted my music and then began to flash on the screen and I could not stop it. I finally had to use the Task Manager to stop it.

Obviously there is some incompatability going on but heck if I know what it is because version 4.2 ran great.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Karl

Posted by Karl in Renton, Wa on April 28, 2004 at 8:51 PM (PDT)

Karl, I’ve read that the flickering is caused by the sidekick plugin, which you need to delete from the itunes plugins folder.

Posted by Joeri on April 29, 2004 at 3:25 AM (PDT)

Joeri, thanks Very much. That fixed it!!!

Karl

Posted by Karl in Renton, Wa on April 29, 2004 at 4:49 AM (PDT)

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW U YOU THE LOSSLESS.  ALL MY MUSIC IS IN AAC FORMAT…..PLEASE HELP!!!!

Posted by CARLOS on April 29, 2004 at 10:21 AM (PDT)

I noticed in the latest listening test that Ogg Vorbis came out on top, beating MusePack into 2nd place with AAC and LAME MP3 basically sharing joint 3rd place with results within shared error margins.

Anyway, I also noticed this addendum:

“iTunes is being tested at version 4.2 instead of 4.5, because of quality concerns raised by listeners”

Does iTunes 4.5 AAC compression sound worse than 4.2? Is there a patch to fix this?

Posted by AAC Got Crappier? on May 24, 2004 at 2:59 PM (PDT)

I get an error message (“We could not complete your music store request. An unknown error occured. (-3259)”) I’ve had this for about 3 weeks now and used to download tracks for months prior to this erorr coming up. I’m in UK but use a US Credit Card. Surely itms can’t be down for 3 weeks.

Posted by felix on June 13, 2004 at 12:15 AM (PDT)

I’ve purchased a lot of music lately in the itunes store that apparently has the fairplay version 2. But for some reason, I can’t transfer this music onto my iPod. Is anyone else having this problem???? Fairplay version 1 stuff transfers fine. I’m on a PC…

Posted by Ashley on August 7, 2004 at 4:40 PM (PDT)

Just upgraded to itunes 4.6 and it won’t connect to the Music Store.  It put out an error “Unknown error -3259.  Anybody have a solution?  I uninstalled. Reinstalled.  Tried installing old version and it converted everything to the new format.  Sigh!!!!!!!!!!!
    I reinstalled the new version again hoping for an epiphamy.

Blue .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by Blue on September 12, 2004 at 6:11 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >