Mac/Windows: iTunes 4.6 released | iLounge News

Mac/Windows: iTunes 4.6 released

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, June 9, 2004
News Categories: iTunes

You can use iTunes to create your own personal digital music library and easily organize and listen to your collection of digital music files. You can also create your own custom audio CDs and transfer your music to an Apple iPod portable digital music player. If you are installing iTunes for use with an iPod, after installing iTunes, use the cable that came with your iPod to connect your iPod to your computer.

What’s new in this version:

iTunes 4.6 includes support for playing your music wirelessly using AirPort Express with AirTunes.  It also includes a number of other minor enhancements.

License: Freeware
System Requirements: Mac OS X v10.1.5 or later,
Mac OS X v10.3 required for AirPort Express OR Windows XP or 2000

« MTV Movie Awards includes iPod mini gift bag

LoadPod comes to San Francisco »

Comments

I want to have visualizations (g-force in fact) on and always on top - is this possible? how?

Posted by Daddo on June 10, 2004 at 7:30 AM (PDT)

i currently have xplay and want to upgrade to itunes…anything i should look out for?

Posted by rob on June 10, 2004 at 7:35 AM (PDT)

What you’re describing isn’t gapless playback - i don’t want crossfade, i want one file played immediately after the other! Is that so hard.

Posted by Aaron on June 10, 2004 at 8:09 AM (PDT)

does anyone know about the ipod update.  i cant see to find one right now

Posted by Cratty on June 10, 2004 at 9:28 AM (PDT)

4.6 disabled my DVD and CDRW drives on XP.  Thank goodness for restore points.

Posted by mcdj on June 10, 2004 at 2:37 PM (PDT)

Rob is exactly right. Crossfade and gapless playback are two entirely different things. For example, I listen to a great deal of opera. In opera recordings, the music is often continuous between tracks. It is essential that there not be a rhythmic “hiccup” each time the track changes. At present, neither iTunes nor the iPod handle this situation correctly. Needless to say, having one piece of music extend across multiple tracks isn’t unique to opera. It’s a big problem, and easily my biggest complaint about the iPod (indeed, one of my only complaints).

Posted by elo on June 10, 2004 at 4:31 PM (PDT)

HYMN SONGS DO NOT WORK.  Atleast the ones with your Apple info still in them.

Posted by Thomas S on June 10, 2004 at 4:42 PM (PDT)

isnt a lack of gapless playback an inherent weakness of the mp3 format? I heard the only way to ensure truly gapless playback in the mp3 format is to encode the entire album as one big mp3 file. I might be wrong tho.

Posted by the dude on June 10, 2004 at 6:12 PM (PDT)

“isnt a lack of gapless playback an inherent weakness of the mp3 format”

This is true, there is frame jitter because old-style mp3 frames were never designed to contain cueing information for subsequent mp3 files. There are now ways to encode frame cueing in some versions of VBR mp3s but you need good modern software to read them.

However even without explicit cueing good software can do read-ahead analyzing, compensating for the frame beat truncation and merging frames from two distinct mp3 files, playing back the mixed ouput. Really clever desktop DJ mixing software can even do beatmatching and auto pitch shifting (+/- 12% say) for sweet merges.

AFAIK iTunes may do this. I know for sure that Media Center does this, which is why you get the following playback options:

Standard (may be hiccups)
Cross-fade - smooth
Cross-fade - aggressive
Gapless

Basically, you want to control the switchover time between tracks, which is why there’s a slider to select 0-16 seconds of crossfade time.

Posted by weakness on June 10, 2004 at 8:34 PM (PDT)

I dont know if this is a new feature of 4.6 or not, but i was able to copy a copy-controlled cd to my hard drive - im not sure if this is an addition or not as i didnt try it with any other versions ... any suggestions?

(I am using XP and had autoplay disabled)

Posted by Snowy in Australia on June 10, 2004 at 8:47 PM (PDT)

Just as a warning, do not install iTunes 4.6. I don’t know why but when I installed it the computer (iTunes also) would not recognize any music CDs being put in the computer. When I put one it, it would say the drive was empty.

Posted by Tommy on June 11, 2004 at 5:24 AM (PDT)

uh, music cds show up just fine for me….  no problems yet with the new version…

Posted by Otsego_Undead in Washington State on June 11, 2004 at 7:58 AM (PDT)

I use panther, and I cannot see my iPod anymore, even though it’s giving me the “do not disconnect…”
Had to shut the computer down to unmount it…

Posted by billy in baltimore, md, usa on June 11, 2004 at 9:25 AM (PDT)

Still waiting for crossfade feature on IPOD!!! Doesn’t seem that hard to do! and will increase the value tremendously!!

Posted by tommy on June 11, 2004 at 7:41 PM (PDT)

I SECOND that motion.
Crossfade is a must!

Posted by Jonathon Kim on June 11, 2004 at 7:42 PM (PDT)

hav u guyz not read the other part of the forum? we have already discussed gapless playback and crossfade playback - plz notbody else ‘Second’ that motion and can we move onto a new topic? cheers

Posted by Snowy in Australia on June 12, 2004 at 1:27 AM (PDT)

Confirm 4.6 will not played Hymed AAC

Posted by iTunes 4.Sick on June 12, 2004 at 7:53 PM (PDT)

Still no minimize to systray option…anyone know if there are any plans to ever add that or if theres a decent program to do that.  I had iTunes sidekick or whatever but it doesn’t work with the new versions. thx

Posted by Swizzel on June 13, 2004 at 10:52 AM (PDT)

For “gapless” in iTunes you have to: activate “crossfade” with zero (0) seconds of crossfade, you’ll have no gap between your songs.
There is no workarounds for “gapless” in the iPod, I’m sorry.

Posted by locklin on June 13, 2004 at 11:05 AM (PDT)

Before I downloaded 4.6, I unprotected a song using Hymn. Then, I converted the unprotected song to mp3 format.  4.6 reads the protected AAC file and the unprotected mp3, but not the Hymn unprotected AAC file. So, if you are going to upgrade to 4.6 be sure to convert any Hymn files to mp3 first. But remember, once you updgrade you can’t use Hymn anymore because 4.6 won’t read the unprotected file which means you can’t convert it to mp3.

Posted by BlackPippi on June 14, 2004 at 9:43 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >