Mac/Windows: piPod 1.0 released - Locate pizzas in NYC | iLounge News

Mac/Windows: piPod 1.0 released - Locate pizzas in NYC

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, June 22, 2004
News Categories: Mac Software

Slice, America’s Favorite Pizza Weblog, is pleased to announce the release of piPod 1.0, an iPod-based field guide to selected New York City pizzerias. Taking advantage of the iPod’s notes reader capability, piPod can direct you to the best pie shops in the city while you’re on the go.

License: Freeware
System Requirements: iPod with Notes

« “Help Promote iLounge” winners announced

Apple iPod ads up for Cannes awards »

Comments

Apple’s Notes feature supports hyperlink interactivity—a feature not documented in the manual, but a “manual” for it is on the Apple site. I’ve been waiting for hypertext content to really take off on iPod, and it seems to be happening at last. Games, subject guides, etc. One more handy extra!

Posted by Nagromme on June 22, 2004 at 1:29 PM (PDT)

This would be really awesome, but seeing as how there’s at least 3 pizza places on every block, I don’t see the real point. Now, if they would have a Bathroom list, that would be sweet.

Posted by Jorge on June 22, 2004 at 1:49 PM (PDT)

“I’ve been waiting for hypertext content to really take off on iPod”

If Apple really had its #### together then it would release Hypercard for the iPod. That would rule. Hypercard was one of the best things about the early Mac, and the iPod’s screen size is comparable to the old “classic” Mac which would suit a Hypercard stack very well.

Hypercard was the world’s first commonly available hypertext editor and browser, available back in the mid-80s. It was so simple even kids could use it for projects. It was one of the major inspirations for HTML and WikiWikiWeb.

One problem is that Steve Jobs never really “got” hypertext and so one of the first things he did when he got back to Apple in the late 1990s was to cancel any further Hypercard support…

Posted by Hypercard on June 22, 2004 at 2:57 PM (PDT)

Ha ha. Point taken, Jorge. But piPod is about directing folks to worthwhile pizzerias, and, sadly, not one of those three on each block probably has decent pie.

And someone SHOULD compile a bathroom guide. Boy would I use that.

Hypercard: I was thinking the same thing. I remember having Hypercard on a Mac I bought as recent ago as, say, 1995. (Or maybe 1994.) Maybe I just don’t understand the linkable features on the iPod, but the links seem to reside OUTSIDE the actual .txt file. What good is that?! I’ll have to do more research and revisions before releasing piPod 2.0.

Posted by Adam on June 22, 2004 at 3:05 PM (PDT)

Why don’t they just go ahead and put an XHTML/WML browser on the iPod?

Posted by Shinglor on June 22, 2004 at 4:35 PM (PDT)

“Maybe I just don’t understand the linkable features on the iPod, but the links seem to reside OUTSIDE the actual .txt file.”

Links on the iPod work exactly the same way as links on webpages. Just use the anchor tag and supply it with an href to the note. Works like a charm smile

Posted by kainjow on June 22, 2004 at 6:51 PM (PDT)

Yes, iPod hypertext uses markup similar to HTML—but only a few tags are supported, plus some special iPod-only ones. I have the PDF manual (wish I had a link, but it’s from Apple.com Support or maybe ADC). It can do some cool things like trigger music from links—used by museums to make custom UIs for audio tours.

One reason for Apple to abandon their own hypertext app is that HTML IS hypertext, and does it very well. Now, hypercard did more than just hypertext. (Personally I use Director but it’s not for the same market, I realize. Costly and complex—a pro app.)

Posted by Nagromme on June 23, 2004 at 6:39 AM (PDT)

Thanks Kainjow. I think my problem was that I just skimmed that PDF guide from the Apple site. It mentioned appending documents that contained links with either a .link or .linx suffix. And THAT’s what seems to put the link OUTSIDE the file. I’ll play with it and try linking like in a webpage.

Now for another matter: Has anyone tried Pod2Go? You can use it to get RSS feeds and such and sync your iPod with it on connect to your Mac. I’d love to get piPod set up on an RSS feed so people don’t have to unstuff it and drag it into the Notes folder, but I’m way unsure of how to do that—especially how to get the different .txt files to go into five separate subfolders (one for each borough of NYC).  Any suggestions?

Posted by Adam on June 23, 2004 at 6:53 AM (PDT)

Hm I don’t think there is currently a way to do that in Pod2Go. :(

Posted by kainjow on June 23, 2004 at 7:32 AM (PDT)

“One reason for Apple to abandon their own hypertext app is that HTML IS hypertext, and does it very well.”

Apple abandoned HyperCard years before HTTP/HTML ever took off - it’s a classic textbook example of fumbling the future.

They had an app that was so easy and so far ahead of anything else available that their dunderhead product managers simply couldn’t see what was going on and orphaned HyperCard again and again. Is it a database? Is it a IDE? Is it a word processor? Because it didn’t fit in to their peanut brain categories they tried their best to sweep it under the carpet.

HyperCard made prototyping so easy that we used to design our new Mac apps as HyperCard stacks first, work out all the goalstates, then had the stack off to the pgorammers for implementation.

The very first Myst video game was also developed in HyperCard.

I don’t think Director is a good analogy for HyperCard - too programmatic, too linear. AuthorWare is a much closer relative of HyperCard, although still too complex. I’ve seen precious few development environments that a 10-year-old kid could literally pick up and program some school work stacks within a couple of hours. While “grown ups” could churn out inventory tracking apps. Literally amazing.

Posted by hyperblown on June 23, 2004 at 8:42 AM (PDT)

Where exactly can I get a PDF for iPod mark-up? I’m itching to start writing stuff for my iPod!

Posted by Pod Phantom on June 23, 2004 at 12:25 PM (PDT)

Pod Phantom: Go here ...

Posted by Adam on June 23, 2004 at 1:09 PM (PDT)

Thanks

Posted by Pod Phantom on June 23, 2004 at 2:41 PM (PDT)