Mac/Windows: PodUtil 2.5 released | iLounge News

Mac/Windows: PodUtil 2.5 released

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, August 19, 2004
News Categories: Mac Software

PodUtil is an easy-to-use utility for viewing the songs on your iPod and copying them in a customisable organised manner to your computer, and will automatically add them to iTunes and rebuild your playlists if you wish.

What’s new in this version:

New Interface
PodUtil’s interface has been completely reworked in 2.5, allowing all your music and copy settings to be displayed on one window, removing the need to have the counter-intuitive tabs. Along with this change, PodUtil now gives much better feedback on how it’s doing when copying your songs. Small icons appear by the songs to let you know their status at-a-glance. Plus, if you run PodUtil on Mac OS X, it places a progress bar in it’s dock icon, allowing you to see how the copy is going without having to switch away from what you’re doing.

Playlist and iTunes Support
PodUtil now reads the playlists from your iPod and presents them to you in a friendly, graceful manner. If you wish, PodUtil can now rebuild the playlists from your iPod into iTunes, saving hours of time reconstructing your precious playlists after moving to a new computer or recovering from lost music.

Robust Copying
PodUtil copying engine has been rebuilt, meaning that copy errors happen far less often and PodUtil can recover from them gracefully should they ever occur.

Customisability
You can now customise PodUtil to suit your iPod and needs. Tell PodUtil what kind of iPod you have and it’s appearence changes to suit.

And more…
This is just an overview of the major new features and changes. PodUtil 2.5 has been improved in every single area, and underwent a month-long private test to make sure it is as polished as can be. For more complete release notes, see here.

License: Shareware $5.00
System Requirements: 2000 or XP

« “Hacking iPod + iTunes” book released

iPod is a hit in Japan »

Comments

All the links link back to ipodlounge.com

Editor’s note: Links fixed

Posted by idvah on August 27, 2003 at 6:19 AM (PDT)

is it just me or can you only play one song at a time?

Posted by Bingo on September 3, 2003 at 1:16 AM (PDT)

.......that would make sense

Posted by zeve on October 19, 2003 at 7:05 AM (PDT)

ahh ... maybe I should have been more expansive in my post ... I meant to say, that after having duoble clicked on a track to play it, I found that after the track had finished I had to double click on the next track in order for it to play. Thusly I was unable to listen to many tracks, and forsoothe this did upset my trembling heart.

Hope that clear that up.

Posted by Bingo on October 20, 2003 at 2:57 AM (PDT)

Hey there, I’m the author of PodUtil.

The songs only play one-at-a-time (ie, not continuous play) by design. PodUtil is only supposed to be a music previewer rather than an MP3 player.

Posted by Daniel Kennett on October 20, 2003 at 3:43 AM (PDT)

A ha. I understand, and to that end is excellent. My trembling heart is now at rest as I’m sure you will be pleased to hear.

Thank you for making it clear, and for creating software that you are gracious enough to share with us all.

Posted by Bingo on October 20, 2003 at 5:10 AM (PDT)

I’m pleased your trembling heart is now resting peacefully.

Do you want me to put in a progressive play thing (ie, one song, then the next automatically) for the final 2.0 release?

Posted by Daniel Kennett on October 20, 2003 at 5:20 AM (PDT)

well ... I think now I understand what you designed it to do, and the fact that I am already surrounded by numerous players I guess there is no need to do so. I work in Software dev, not as a programmer I hasten to add, and I see on a regular basis the effect of “adding” a new feature late in the dev cycle, it nearly always breaks something else. I think it works wonderfully well as it stands. But I am but one voice and would not claim to be either correct or representative of others.

Thank you once again.

Posted by Bingo on October 20, 2003 at 6:21 AM (PDT)

Thanks Daniel for this great program.

My hard-drive crashed and I was able to use this program and my iPod to save myself from the pain of re-ripping all my music.

Works like a charm!

Posted by ben8128 on December 13, 2003 at 9:25 PM (PDT)

I recently lost my cpu and was tring to use this to download from my ipod to my new computer.  it recognized my ipod as my c drive and I couldn’t change it to what drive the ipod was actually considered.  Any ideas?

Posted by jetboy on December 14, 2003 at 1:09 PM (PDT)

Daniel,

Great piece of software. I needed a simple piece of software that was dedicated to transfering songs from my iPod to PC.

However, will PodUtil ever be user customizable? I would like to customize the way PodUtil transfers and orgnaizes my music. Currenty it transfers and sorts by Artist. I would like to sort mine using this structure: Genre>Album>Artist>Song.

Ephpod allows me to do this but i hate using two products at once. I’d like to stick to iTunes for the encoding and transfers, and PodUtil for backups.

THANKS!

Posted by ILoveMusic on December 14, 2003 at 1:26 PM (PDT)

ILoveMusic:

It already is. Click where is says ‘Basic’ and select ‘Advanced’ from the drop-down menu. This allows you to define how PodUtil sorts songs when copying.

More information on Advanced Copying can be found in the documentation that comes with PodUtil. A copy of this document can be found here.

Posted by Daniel Kennett on December 14, 2003 at 2:31 PM (PDT)

Great software. I’m always taking it with me on my Ipod. Thanks !

Posted by Blueface in Germany on December 15, 2003 at 4:26 AM (PDT)

I probably didn’t read the instructions . . . but is it possible to just copy selected tracks rather than the whole iPod?

Posted by JameyT on December 15, 2003 at 11:05 AM (PDT)

Daniel, THANKS! I’ll give your software another whirl after my finals are over.

Also, like JameyT said…i should have read the instructions…but i’d also like to know the answer to his question. Great software!

Posted by ILoveMusic on December 15, 2003 at 3:33 PM (PDT)

JameyT, ILoveMusic:

Yup, you can. If you look in the music list, you’ll see little checkboxes next to songs (not folders, mind - but that’s coming). If a song is checked, it will be copied. You can click ‘Select None’ at the top of the music list to deselect all the songs, then select just the ones you want. You can select a bunch of songs by clicking on a song, then shift-clicking on a song further up/down the list. Checking/unchecking one of these songs will affect them all.

—Daniel

Posted by Daniel Kennett on December 16, 2003 at 2:40 AM (PDT)

My hard drive went AWOL and this software allowed me to rebuild my music collection from the sole remaining source, my Ipod.

The software installed and ran perfectly on the new drive and, within an hour, I had my music back on my PC.

It was a lifesaver.

Posted by Jeff on December 22, 2003 at 8:12 AM (PDT)

I having coping errors. The message reads “something whent wrong” what can I do. I have tons of music that I can reload to my computer

Posted by Colliard on April 20, 2004 at 11:20 AM (PDT)

Ummm…I’ve installed this program, but when I start it up, I get nothing.  When I press ctrl-alt-del, it shows up in the processes tab as a running program, but not in the applications, nor is there a window for it.  When I try to undock from iTunes, it says another program is using the files found on my iPod.  If iTunes is not running, it doesn’t find my iPod.  And yes, it’s enabled for disk use.  Any suggestions?

Posted by Ben on May 23, 2004 at 4:54 AM (PDT)

I have tried opening up Ipodutil with iTunes closed and with it open. In both cases I get this error:

There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive DeviceHarddisk2DR96.

I have disk use enabled in iTunes and the iPod appears as a hard drive in My Computer. I am using Windows Server 2003 and my iPod is connected through USB 2.0.

Posted by br- on May 23, 2004 at 6:58 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >