MacCentral: MyTunes Exploits ITunes Playlist Sharing | iLounge News

MacCentral: MyTunes Exploits ITunes Playlist Sharing

“Now that Apple is offering ITunes software and access to its music store to Windows users, the company has an opportunity to significantly increase its market share in the area of downloadable music. But the company also has to contend with applications like the recently released MyTunes, which allows Windows users to circumvent the intended use of the software by downloading music from an ITunes shared playlist over a network.

Bill Zeller, a 20-year-old Trinity College student, wrote and released MyTunes just ten days after the official release of ITunes for Windows. His Web site claims that the application is intended to enable users ‘to save music from other computers to your hard drive.’”

« Custom iPod Mount

MacMinute: Order an iPod through UK Virgin Megastores »

Comments

Damnit!  Programs like this ruin cool features for us all.  The RIAA will complain, and Apple will have to disable/restrict iTunes sharing again just like they had to do for 3.x (?).

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on November 12, 2003 at 7:25 PM (PDT)

Copying songs from one to computer to another under one roof? Phoo, who cares. Not very useful anyways.

Posted by That is hardly anything on November 12, 2003 at 8:58 PM (PDT)

Perhaps, but when “one roof” = a college campus, you have serious licensing issues.  Why do you think it was created by a college kid?

I hope he gets shut down, rather than Apple’s sharing… I want to keep using my sharing feature.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on November 12, 2003 at 9:19 PM (PDT)

Finally I can copy my songs from my laptop to my desktop over the network, without having to dig through iTunes’ rather unwieldy folder structure! I can understand why this may not be a great thing for everyone, but I know I’ll find this little utility very useful for personal use.

Posted by ketsugi on November 12, 2003 at 10:14 PM (PDT)

In a way I am mighty pissed.  The sharing thing is what I used to convince my friends apple is the way to go itunes and ipods.  2 even bought iPods, but on the other hand… I want the RIAA to sit down and think what they have done to the industry.  All of this is their fault.  If they had only innovated earlier…  I think apples music store is perfect.  I used to buy a cd a month, now I allow myself 10 bux amonth at their store.  It is fantaboulous.

Posted by Andrew on November 12, 2003 at 10:15 PM (PDT)

I hate when (young) people work something out on the comp, whether it’s good / bad, useful / useless, he ALWAYS has to put it on the net and say: “look at me! I’m so smart! and now everyone will envy me because I did it first!”

Without using his brain and think, “mmmm, just maybe, the RIAA or Apple or whomever would be on my case and I’d have no future left what-so-ever for being a stupid-hero.”

I think he’s a prime example… and no matter how “useful” it is - really, if you think about it, it’s really facilitating stealing - if you are on a network, how hard is it just ask the other person for a copy (especially if you own the network, you could just do the transfer in the good ol’ fashion way), and he basically says on his site that “no one could tell / track you’re using his software” and the whole point? to STEAL!!!!!!!!!

Posted by voodoo on November 13, 2003 at 12:48 AM (PDT)

You know, I have to agree with you guys on this one.  I hate all the drm crap but I’m forced to deal with it because some people are just too cheap to pay for music.  I know, it’s too expensive, so are Ferrari’s, but it doesn’t give people an excuse to steal one.  I know alot of people are gonna reply that “it’s sharing”.  You can call a pigeon a turkey if you want but it doesn’t make it true.

Posted by cougardew on November 13, 2003 at 3:41 AM (PDT)

If he didn’t do it, someone else would’ve. There’s always going to be a way to share files, get used to it.

Posted by Chad on November 13, 2003 at 4:20 AM (PDT)

on a related note: does anyone know of a program that will bring back sharing across the entire net? actually, i need it for both windows and mac. we just want to stream our music to eachother.

hopefully the RIAA won’t whine about it.

Posted by Fiddytree on November 13, 2003 at 4:33 AM (PDT)

The “one roof” for me is my entire 1100-student dorm… so I have quite a few music collections available.

Needless to say, in the 12 hours since I’ve downloaded this, my collection has grown consideriably.

Posted by Jeremy on November 13, 2003 at 5:47 AM (PDT)

I don’t use itunes over a network, so this really doesn’t mean anything to me, but I do find it kind of obnoxious how this kid put it out there.

on the other hand, I agree with chad 100% - I don’t see file sharing ever going away.  morphing from time to time, but not going away.

everybody needs to chill out.

Posted by sean on November 13, 2003 at 5:50 AM (PDT)

This complaining is ridiculous.  The kid is smart and clever to create such a program and its great that its out there.  The only way we innovate is through the creativity and ingenuity.  The whole problem is the music industry model.  I hope others will follow this kids lead and find other ways to engineer around current technology, only then do we innovate.
In addition, its needs to be shown that new business models and “out of the box” thinking need to evolve when it comes to digital products.  I’m really disappointed to hear all the criticism of this kid simply because of selfish needs and desires and especially in such a forum as this.

Posted by Skierlaw on November 13, 2003 at 7:00 AM (PDT)

‘does anyone know of a program that will bring back sharing across the entire net? actually, i need it for both windows and mac. we just want to stream our music to eachother.”

Icecast

Posted by icecast on November 13, 2003 at 7:38 AM (PDT)

anyone know of a Mac version of Mytunes?  or something that does the same thing anyway?

Posted by ggh on November 13, 2003 at 10:56 AM (PDT)

im sorry, what i meant was bring back sharing on itunes.

Posted by Fiddytree on November 13, 2003 at 3:54 PM (PDT)

I don’t understand what all the hub-bub is about.  If I understand this right, MyTunes CAN’T copy AAC files…I already import my CDs in AAC format (I personally think it sounds better over MP3).

So, if you don’t what your files “taken” by some snot-nosed undergrad, I guess just use AAC.

Posted by ipodder in Austin, TX on November 17, 2003 at 5:58 PM (PDT)

What is “Track type” and key “All items” in iTunes XML playlist? Help me please

Posted by vudinh on December 20, 2007 at 11:57 PM (PDT)

Open a iTunes playlist use Nopad, I don’t understand at:

<key>Normalization</key><integer>3402</integer>
<key>File Folder Count</key><integer>-1</integer>
<key>Library Folder Count</key><integer>-1</integer>
<key>Compilation</key><true>
<key>All Items</key><true>
<key>Track Type</key><string>File</string>

Can you tell about it? And values Track Type can be? Thanks much

Posted by vudinh on December 21, 2007 at 12:33 AM (PDT)