MacDevCenter: Goodbye PDA, Hello iPod? | iLounge News

MacDevCenter: Goodbye PDA, Hello iPod?

Terrie Miller at MacDevCenter writes about her switch from PDA to iPod. She discusses several features including calendars, contacts, text notes, using iPod as a hard disk and the recent recording feature discovered by iPoding. There’s also a tip on creating song links using the Note Reader feature in iPod Software 2.0.

“Song linking can include using filters to create temporary playlists of songs.  An example from the Apple documentation is
<a href=“ipod:music?genre=rock&artist=Brian Eno”>Combo</a>”

« Inside the new iPod dock

Photos and first impressions of the new iPod »

Comments

What I REALLY want is to be able to connect a mini keyboard to my new iPod. Something like the thumb keyboard that are out there for Palm Pilots. That way I could add/modify/delete contacts, appointments, and notes directly on my iPod and I wouldn’t need my Palm anymore. As an added bonus. The iPod is smaller.

Posted by Sabon in Seattle, WA on May 6, 2003 at 12:31 PM (PDT)

And by the way. While temporary play lists are good. A song queue would be even better.

A song queue would allow me to manually pick several songs directly on the iPod and then would automatically play them back in the order that I pick them. Each song would disappear when it finished.

Posted by Sabon in Seattle, WA on May 6, 2003 at 12:32 PM (PDT)

I, too, switched from a PocketPC (which I sold for $80 under what I should have so I could afford the iPod at the launch, thus getting the geeky tee shirt).  The only thing I really miss is the video support.  The huge capacity, and portability, and the _SUBTLTY_ of the iPod, make it a much better alternative.  It looks like an appliance, and not a device.  It has a few functions which it performs well, vs. a thousand functions poorly implemented.  If the pocketpc folks could spend the effort coming up with an input method as easy to use as the scroll wheel, they’d have a million seller.

Posted by Matthew Mark Miller in Albany, NY on May 7, 2003 at 7:29 AM (PDT)

Looks like you guys got “Appled”..  getting appled is likened to seeing perfection close at hand and then get socked in the gut… by the failure of apple to give you their best up front.  They cheated you initial new ipod buyers out of the better ipod that is coming in six months.  They could have given you the better one now….but decided not to on the basis of needing to fleece the public throughout a five year so called “development” phase.  All of the best features and best hardware is already in the apple shop…but it is for you to wait and wait and then rebuy the ipod over and over..  This causes revenue streams to widened and the stock to gain demand pressure.  Apple climbed from 13 to 18 bucks over the week on this release of the new inferior ipod.  By the time you get the ipod you want Apple will be trading at 56 bucks.

Cheers

Posted by str on May 7, 2003 at 12:37 PM (PDT)

str - the same could easily be said about Microsoft DOS through XP, their CE devices, and all the MS apps. So your statement is true about both and lame about both. It could also be said about most car companies too.

Posted by Sabon in Seattle, WA on May 7, 2003 at 1:26 PM (PDT)

str—mindless apologists like you should be banned from typing their mindless diatribes…

back to the subject; Sabon’s comment (sorry, i think you’ll be waiting forever for someone to come up with a thumbboard, and it would be…well, inelegant). points to the fact that the ipod is almost there as a PDA, but it wasn’t designed as such, so it’s still just a music player with a couple of convenience features.

—-

Posted by reason on May 10, 2003 at 2:42 PM (PDT)

str—shut up.

there was no way apple could have released this unit 6 months ago.  hard drive technology hadn’t advanced far enough.  battery technology wasn’t slim enough.  touch panels weren’t cheap enough.  ####, the 1.8” hard drives in the new ipod weren’t even released into the commercial market until TODAY.  the ipod was two weeks ahead of the TOL.

sure, they could have made it bigger, or cheaper, but then it wouldn’t have been an _iPOD_…it’d have been a Zen, or an Archos, both companies had a 30 gig solution last year.  big, heavy, slow, ugly solutions with cheap buttons, short warranties, ineffective software and lousy customer support.

as for “in development” software…anybody who thinks software should be a one off, perfect up front deal, doesn’t understand how complicated and expensive software development is.  good software takes a minimum of ten years in design and testing…or the resolve to eliminate features to make the basics as rock solid as possible.  the iPod is software isn’t perfect yet, but is better than any of my rios, and way better than my pocketpc.

you’re right, i did get appled…I got tricked into paying top dollar for a quality piece of electronics that I’m quite satisfied with and proud of.  same thing’s happened with two laptops and an xserve.  I should be ashamed to keep paying for things I want, knowing full well that something better will come out later…but, strangely, i’m not.

Posted by Matthew Mark Miller in Wynantskill on May 12, 2003 at 6:05 PM (PDT)