MacMice Releases DockCover | iLounge News

MacMice Releases DockCover

pic

“The DockCover is being offered as an extremely limited edition of only 200 pieces, each one individually serial numbered. Each DockCover is machined from 6061-T6 aerospace grade aluminum, is hand polished, and is laser engraved with both the DVForge mark and a serial number between 001 and 200. The DockCover is fully described and available for paid pre-order from the MacMice Workspace Products Co. web site, will ship on November 10th, and is priced at $69.99.”

Editor’s note: The price has been lowered to $39.99.

« XtremeMac iPod Car Charger for $20

OSNews: iTunes for Windows Speed Not Acceptable »

Comments

What kind of freak would pay $70 for a Dock cover! A cover for your dock! WTH! anybody who buys this has too much money and should give some to me….

Posted by Austen on October 17, 2003 at 10:27 AM (PDT)

a friggin numbnut

maybe the “limited editon” catches the eye.

Posted by rockerdw on October 17, 2003 at 10:40 AM (PDT)

dock cover? stupid idea. does anyone care about protecting your dock? i sure as hell don’t.

Posted by Fiddytree85 on October 17, 2003 at 10:42 AM (PDT)

WoW!! Anything to make a buck. I hope next they come up with a golden cover for the charger!!

Posted by Del Griffith on October 17, 2003 at 10:56 AM (PDT)

I think it’s a misprint—it should say Dork cover.  Even if someone wanted a fancy dork cover—why would they want an ugly logo plastered on it?

Posted by Barry on October 17, 2003 at 11:11 AM (PDT)

i agree with you all but because they are “limited” i bet you all they sell out quickly…............

just my thought…..

Posted by jegonzales on October 17, 2003 at 11:33 AM (PDT)

WOW!!!  THIS IS A WONDERFUL IDEA!!!  I’VE BEEN DREAMING AND HOPING THAT SOMEBODY WOULD COME UP WITH SOMETHING LIKE THIS - AND NOW ITS FINALLY HERE!!!  NOW MY DOCK WON’T BE JEALOUS ANYMORE.  iSKIN - TAKE NOTE!!  THE DOCK NEEDS TO LOOK GOOD TOO!!!!  CAN’T WAIT…......I’M COUNTING THE DAYS. kidding…......hehe…........

Posted by roan on October 17, 2003 at 11:35 AM (PDT)

what is up with the 3rd paty companies trying to sell JUNK.

whoever buys this is an IDIOT

Posted by bababooey on October 17, 2003 at 11:35 AM (PDT)

Psh I don’t know about you guys but I have mine on order!  just kidding smile  Although it is nice to see a wide variety and selection of 3rd party accessories.  I don’t think any other mp3 player has this type of 3rd party support.

Posted by IronSerif on October 17, 2003 at 11:40 AM (PDT)

They should consider limiting the production to 5 pieces only!
Does this really do anything at all? ANY function besides being, well, ...there?
This is really, pardon my French: retarded.

Posted by Bademeister on October 17, 2003 at 11:41 AM (PDT)

I’m utterly speechless.

Posted by TommyT on October 17, 2003 at 11:59 AM (PDT)

More proof, as if any was needed, that iPod fanatics have more money than sense. MacMice are just taking a leaf out of Apple’s book and screwing you for every penny youve got. But so many pod people are sheep that your all going to buy them anyway and what’s up with all the stoopid skins if the ipod is so damn pretty that you all go on about it why buy these covers that make it uglier than a Zen. There are so many add ons for the ipod because companies have figured out if you buy an ipod youll shell out major spondoolooks for more.

Posted by Wow on October 17, 2003 at 12:09 PM (PDT)

i tell you what….im gonna take a big crap on the ground. contact apple to sell the rights and share the profit. i put a big apple logo on it and then put a stainless steel cover around it. then limit it to 5. thats the ticket!

Posted by Jaguares in Bay Area, Ca on October 17, 2003 at 12:29 PM (PDT)

I can imagine a 50 cent fan who bought a pod cos he used one on his video wanting this bling bling.
And I think that’s the most positive thing anyone will ever say about this product here.

Posted by Chris Matchett on October 17, 2003 at 12:35 PM (PDT)

The cover is made out of 6061-T6 aerospace grade aluminum which does not look like gold in any way. Also:

“After another inspection, the polished billets are then passed through the special nickel alloy plating system we perfected last year, to nicely match the color of the iPod’s unique high nickel content stainless steel alloy rear cover.”

This must be a very very bad image because if this dock looked identical to the back off an iPod it would be *very* sexy smile

Posted by noname on October 17, 2003 at 1:09 PM (PDT)

not only is this the epitomy of materialism gone oveboard,  but it’s not even beautiful .... you can’t say that it’s useless and beautiful and expensive and therefore it’s almost like a work of art…. the thing is more in the vicinity of mostruous butt-ugly abomination…. buy yourself some good music instead wink

Posted by dre_dogg on October 17, 2003 at 1:19 PM (PDT)

I believe Jack Campell, a convicted felon, runs macmice.com, and yes, he’ll do anything for a buck.

Posted by bennok on October 17, 2003 at 2:27 PM (PDT)

those are big words for someone who calls himself dre_dogg. i think your out of big words for about a year now. hope it was worth it.

Posted by Jaguares in Bay Area, Ca on October 17, 2003 at 2:46 PM (PDT)

Yes, Jack Campbell (me) actually has several old felony convictions, and, I happen to love Macs and iPods, as well. And, for grins, I wil invest in some pretty unusual products from time to time, even if they are ridiculously expensive to manufacture.

I have the odd (and apparently unpopular) philosophy that *somebody* should be willing to put low-volume, odd products into the market, so that people will have a wider choice in accessories than if *only* cheap plastic Taiwanese products were available. I do *not* expect large numbers of people to love everything we build, nor to buy everything we build. But, again, I *do* believe that the mass-market ethic of only putting a product out that 10,000 people are expected to purchase cheapens the entire market, and deprives many people of the range of choice they would like to have.

Personally, I like having more choices than fewer. And, being able to look at many approaches to product design helps me better judge in my eventual purchase… even if that judgement includes seeing several items I think are not pleasing to me, or that are over-priced.

I remain surprised at the number of people who seem to think that I (and other higher-price, lower-volume) manufacturers should simply go away… and leave only the narrow range of mass produced products from which to choose.

We launched this as a fun, exotic little doodad for Christmas… nothing more, or less. Our profit is somewhere around $11 each. Short-run CNC machining, polishing, plating, and laser marking is very, very expensive… as is custom packaging for only 200 items.

And, yes, they’re already selling pretty well today.

Thanks for all comments!

Jack/MacMice

Posted by Jack Campbell on October 17, 2003 at 2:52 PM (PDT)

HEY MAN.. IN fairness..I had no idea about your convictions.. I still maintain that the thing is crap but it has nothing to do with your past.. To me you seem to have a legit business and I don’t question it at all..

Posted by bababooey on October 17, 2003 at 2:56 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >