MacMice Releases DockCover | iLounge News

MacMice Releases DockCover

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Friday, October 17, 2003
News Categories: iPod Accessories

pic

“The DockCover is being offered as an extremely limited edition of only 200 pieces, each one individually serial numbered. Each DockCover is machined from 6061-T6 aerospace grade aluminum, is hand polished, and is laser engraved with both the DVForge mark and a serial number between 001 and 200. The DockCover is fully described and available for paid pre-order from the MacMice Workspace Products Co. web site, will ship on November 10th, and is priced at $69.99.”

Editor’s note: The price has been lowered to $39.99.

« XtremeMac iPod Car Charger for $20

OSNews: iTunes for Windows Speed Not Acceptable »

Comments

man.. the more I think about the more I think how crappy it is to point out a person who “was” a felon…

That was a low blow…borderline “abusive”
I applaud Jack for writing back and being a better person and “kepping it real” for lack of better term.

Posted by bababooey on October 17, 2003 at 3:02 PM (PDT)

there are always people out there that like it. You may not like it and think it costs too much. here’s a simple solution: Dont buy it. Personally, I wouldn’t buy it because it is way too much for my budget. But if it was cheaper, you know most of you reconsider. Jack has done a great job with the company and they have great products. You have to give him (and the company) for all that it has done.

Posted by SilentRaven on October 17, 2003 at 3:21 PM (PDT)

Thoughts of this product = Duh. (Just my opinion).

I would have spelled out a multi-syllabic “Duh”, since I think that would have been even more appropriate here, but I wasn’t sure if anyone reading would get it.

Well, hey, it’s a free country.  We can choose to make what we want.  We can also choose not to buy. smile

Good luck with your Dock.  If you can sell all 200, at least it’ll be a quick two grand in your pocket.  Merry Christmas.

Posted by Z on October 17, 2003 at 5:31 PM (PDT)

Um, no, Raven.  I wouldn’t even accept this thing as a gift.  It’s quite possibly the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen, in fact.

As for your message, Jack, I applaud your efforts to give consumers more choices…just sorry to say you missed the boat on this one.  Better luck next time though!

Posted by Adam on October 17, 2003 at 5:38 PM (PDT)

“First of all, let’s clear the air a bit and admit a few things: the DockCover is not a necessity… it’s a luxury, a personal indulgence. The DockCover is not inexpensive… in fact, it’s pretty pricey. And last, but not least, the DockCover is what we are sure many people will call “ridiculously overpriced,” “totally unnecessary,” and even “totally pointless.”

However, we simply think of it as “pretty.”

NOW the funny thing is…that they say this about their own product…they already know what people are going to say…yet they are still selling it….nevertheless for 70 freakin bucks…i’ll pass

Posted by riceboi on October 17, 2003 at 6:00 PM (PDT)

I’m sorry, but the whole IPOD accessories thing has gone to far, this just looks strange.  Is this some kinda joke?

Posted by eclecticchickie on October 17, 2003 at 7:08 PM (PDT)

“Although it is nice to see a wide variety and selection of 3rd party accessories. I don’t think any other mp3 player has this type of 3rd party support”

Are you sure this is the type pf support we really need? I’d almost rather have no support than have this….who the hell needs a dock cover? I don’t even think rich people would buy it….but hey there’s a sucker born every minute so I predict they’ll sell out in about 3h 20m…..or never whichever comes last…

Posted by zync on October 17, 2003 at 8:39 PM (PDT)

BTW I didn’t mean to make that sound like I was bashing your comment, I was merely using it as a springboard to make my own statements smile And Jack, if you really are Jack, why would you think this woud sell…and who really wants one for christmas, especially since you can now give gift certificates through iTunes? I’d much rather have 70 more songs than a useless dock cover, besides the dock not being metal is also a trademark Apple thing, being that it’s white plastic. Not everything can and should be metal. Personally I, though I don’t have a docking iPod, like the white plastic dock because it’s different from the ipod itself….I guess a completely metal dock would be cool but not a cover….sorry…

Posted by zync on October 17, 2003 at 8:51 PM (PDT)

I kinda like it.

Though it’s a tad expensive. 20 bucks though… wink

Posted by Toekiller on October 17, 2003 at 9:41 PM (PDT)

70 Bucks??
I would just buy another dock and the cable….
sad…

Posted by 20GB iPod in Canada on October 17, 2003 at 9:58 PM (PDT)

All right… I’ve been listening to all of the comments here, and have made a decision.

My goal with the DockCover was never particularly profit-motivated… it really is just one of those odd little ideas that seemed to deserve being given life. So, if I make a little money or lose a little money on them… what’s really the difference, in the long run?

I have lowered the price to nearly $20 beneath my actual cost, to a new MSRP of $39.99. We have credited the difference to the few buyers from Friday. And, we’ll leave the price at $39.99, indefinitely. http://www.macmice.com/dockcover.html

That’s the best I can do.

Posted by Jack Campbell on October 18, 2003 at 6:04 AM (PDT)

Basically, you are saying you would have been totally ripping people off if they would have bought it for 70 bucks. You should have asked around before releasing this. It is a rather lame concept. I understand what you are saying though and I respect you for coming out and explaining to the many many confusing readers. I mean, $70?! Alright, I’m done. Have a nice day, hope you atleast sold one at the $70 price - good luck, Mr. Campbell.

Posted by echostats on October 18, 2003 at 6:11 AM (PDT)

Jack-

Yeah, maybe it wasn’t the greatest idea. Ipod users like innovation, not glitz.

—-I’m not sure anyone would want these even if they were free.

Keep on it, I look forward to your future products, at least this one gave us something to talk about!

btw- next time think about not putting a big silly logo right on the front of your product, that is *always* a turnoff.

Good luck.

Posted by Spankford on October 18, 2003 at 7:51 AM (PDT)

As for the logo… actually, there is a slice of buyers other than yourself who find added value in branded products, especially when the marking is done fairly elegantly. Over time, the DVForge mark will continue as our ultra-premium mark for cast/polished metal accessories. Around here, we’re actually pretty proud of the DVForge logo, and are constantly looking for expressive product concepts to carry it. However, these days, United States produced machining, polishing, and plating are all very expensive; so, the core concept under the DVForge mark has turned out to include a real challenge for us: How (and when) do we step up and actually produce one of these little jewel-like products?... given that sales volumes are tiny, and costs are sky-high? And, as a note, I have had a few sample products produced in China and have not yet been satisfied with the price/quality. So, “Made In America” is where I’m stuck with these… where I can be fanatically demanding about the quality… even at a really high cost of production.

... might have one more DVForge product before Christmas. We’ll see…

Thanks for all the great commentary here.

Posted by Jack Campbell on October 18, 2003 at 8:25 AM (PDT)

Good luck with everything Jack.

Posted by IronSerif on October 18, 2003 at 8:51 AM (PDT)

> Ipod users like innovation, not glitz.

This is wrong. If iPod users in fact liked innovation, we’d have iPods with long battery life, recording, video, superior sound fidelity, FM and AM, and support for multiple media formats.

Instead we have a small overpriced white box that’s looking more and more like an antique in the marketplace.

My next music player is going to be an iRiver…

Posted by Disillusioned on October 18, 2003 at 12:05 PM (PDT)

Not to be mean, Jack, but are you one of those guys with a ponytail that wears lots of turquoise?  I’m just trying to figure you out, because I don’t get this whole situation.  I have to tell you, the cover was bad, but the logo?  C’mon.  Brand your products if you must, but change that logo.  It’s B-A-D.

Posted by Adam on October 18, 2003 at 12:19 PM (PDT)

If you buy this and it sucks, you can always return it—however, I’m still waiting for my refund from the MacMice Optical Mouse I returned.

Buyer beware, especially if you purchase from MacMice.

Posted by lukester on October 18, 2003 at 3:53 PM (PDT)

lukester: Please email your contact info to me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address), and we’ll see what the issue is with your refund. We made a very messy changeover to a new e-commerce platform a couple of months ago, lost some data, and what you say is very, very possible. Contact me, so we can fix it, please.

Posted by Jack Campbell on October 18, 2003 at 4:23 PM (PDT)

The only possible reason I would want a cover for my Dock(s) would be to protect the connection interface of the Dock from dust or whatnot when the iPod is not docked… and this cover does not even do that.

It serves no purpose other than ascetics which are not my tastes.. (Gold with a big ugly logo imprint on it? Not for me. No thanks.)

Posted by Louis in Long Island on October 18, 2003 at 6:59 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >