MacMinute: iPod, iTunes heavily promoted on Stern, Cane show | iLounge News

MacMinute: iPod, iTunes heavily promoted on Stern, Cane show

“Apple has increased its advertising presence for iTunes and iPod on New York’s WXRK (K-Rock) radio station as of late. According to numerous MacMinute readers, live ads are being read regularly by Howard Stern on his morning talk show for the iTunes Music Store and the iPod. Stern stresses the fact that both products are now Windows compatible. He has also been giving away 40GB iPods to callers. Meanwhile, The Cane Show is currently holding an “iPod Song of the Day” contest in which winners receive a free iPod. Cane also mentions the iTunes Music Store and its pricing throughout his show.”

« ThinkDifferentStore launches new store and iSkin eXo deal

Marware launches Free case contest »

Comments

They need to advertise like crazy. Shove the iPod and iTunes into people’s throats. I think the next year or so Apple is going to rock. With iTMS now for Windows, and cheaper eMacs and new G4 iBooks, Apple’s computers are no easily competitive with PC machines. And with the Pepsi and AOL deals…I think Apple is ready to show the PC world how it’s done. And Panther available tomorrow - OMG I love Apple. Now all they need to do is create a 5G iPod for $100-$150 and they’ll be perfect.

Posted by kainjow on October 23, 2003 at 2:26 PM (CDT)

it almost seems that things for apple are getting better and better. let’s just hope this won’t be another imac scene. after the imac came out, apple was popular for a while, then faded in the distance.

Posted by Fiddytree on October 23, 2003 at 2:59 PM (CDT)

Just more proof that Howard Stern is the man!!
Seriously though I live in NYC and listen to 92.3 KRock more than any other station and they are VERY heavily pushing the iPod and iTunes. Great to see one of the few good radio stations aligning themselves with a great product.

Posted by SpideyPod on October 23, 2003 at 4:43 PM (CDT)

I don’t think this will be like the iMac. The iMac was just a computer, not much different from other computers except it was all-in-one.

The iPod, however, not only is simple and well designed, but it works effortlessly with iTunes both for Mac and Windows. Name any audio device that works excellent on both platforms. That’s how they will succeed, along with the iTMS.

Posted by kainjow on October 23, 2003 at 5:12 PM (CDT)

My Archos works transparently with iTunes on both Mac and PC.

I think this is a fatal flaw for Apple - as more and more mp3 players bring out iTunes plugins then the iPod willlose its “exclusive” status. Already many players are more advanced than the iPod in terms of features, battery life, or codec support. And the new wave of players coming out this Xmas is much better designed.

What happens a year from now when there are a dozen players from different manufacturers, all the same size as an iPod, some more advanced, some cheaper, that work transparently with iTunes?

Posted by Archos on October 23, 2003 at 6:18 PM (CDT)

Archos,
You are right about the fact that there are a number of players out there now that have better battery life, more features and support more formats. Can’t dispute that.
But better designed? No, not even close. Read a review anywhere about the interfaces of these players, outside of the iRiver, and you will quickly see the standard by which they are compared when it comes to design and ease of use is the iPod.
The new players may have more to offer in some areas but design is not even close to being one of them.

Posted by SpideyPod on October 23, 2003 at 8:25 PM (CDT)

hEY NOW

Posted by bababooey on October 23, 2003 at 8:27 PM (CDT)

SPEAKING OF WHICH.. SOMEONE JUST GAVE ME AN ARCHIVE OF STERN SHOWS FROM jAN 96-JAN98…. HOW SWEET… i WONDER HOW MUCH OF IT i CAN FIT IN MY IPOD

Posted by bababooey on October 23, 2003 at 8:28 PM (CDT)

—————
—————

Seriously though—it’s a good question as to why so many first-generation MP3 players shipped with crummy software. Apple’s USP was that they shipped with an already mature browsing and selection function.

The original Archos, just like the on-board firmware from Creative et al, sucked major balls. But give some people who actually *use* mp3 players a few months and you now have some wonderfully intuitive software. It’s not difficult, all you want is fast browsing, fast playlist parsing, browse by artist, name, genre, and so on. Bookmarking. Queuing. Play gap config. Crossfading. Hardly rocket science. Apple got many of these right first time, and missed some others. But they are slowly improving the iPod’s interface. Kudos. I still can’t understand why they haven’t implemented crossfading though, that one baffles me.

Posted by Archos on October 23, 2003 at 9:03 PM (CDT)

“Obviously, you’ve never used Rockbox. Combined with Smartlists (generated from either iTunes or Media Center) this combination is excellent! “

You posted a quote I made about the fact that just about every review you read of any Mp3 player on the market is inevitably compared to it the iPod. And somehow this means I have never used a Rockbox?

You are right I have not used a Rockbox but considering when it comes to MP3 players its not even on the map I don’t think that has any impact on the iPod’s design and ease of use.

iPod IS the player which sets the standard in design. Not only is the Rockbox not on the same level, its not even a factor.

Posted by SpideyPod on October 23, 2003 at 9:37 PM (CDT)

yeah, that’s right, tell it 2 him spidey !
;-)

Posted by dre_dogg on October 23, 2003 at 10:32 PM (CDT)

——————
iPod IS the player which sets the standard in design
——————

Apple buys a lot of credibility with its massive marketing budget. You’re a magazine, you’re thinking of writing about mp3 players. There are dozens out there but only Apple consistently buys full page adverts. What comnpany’s products are you going to focus on? I note that even with the recent bump in sales, Apple’s unit share of the audio player market did not exceed 18%. That means that 80%+ of audio players sold are not iPods. DOes that tell you something about how reporting is skewed?

Marketing counts for a lot. AOL made their name synonymouys with being online, event though their product is pricier than most of the competition, significantly underperforms, and has quality issues. Surprising? Not if you work in media.

As a software designer myself, I can tell you that the accomplishments of the rockbox crew are amazing, given their limited hardware and lack of source documents. Because they are focused on executing a “perfect” mp3 environment, their implementation has self-selected for ease-of-use and performance. If you skim their user guide you could learn a thing or two about embedded software design.

It’s surprising to me that a similar software ecology has not emerged on the iPod. I guess Apple is a lot more litigatious when it comes to replacing their firmware. There are a couple of Linux projects for the ipod but they are making very slow progress.

Posted by Archos on October 23, 2003 at 10:38 PM (CDT)

BA BA BOOOO EEEEEEEYYYYYYY

BA BOEEY
BA BA Booeey
BA BA BA BOOEY

*hits keys to simulate activation of sound effex*

cue horse sound

Posted by North Coast Johnny on October 24, 2003 at 4:18 AM (CDT)

Archos, not for nothing you make intelligent and good points but after you respond to my posts I wonder if you are responding to me or some other post you have read.
“Your assertion that Apple software engineers don’t religiously scan the competition is surprising. It’s been a number of years since I worked for Claris/Apple, but believe me when I tell you that our product managers were very focused on competitive matrices. “

When did I assert that?

I am making a very simple point and one that there seems to some confusion about.

Posted by SpideyPod on October 24, 2003 at 7:07 AM (CDT)

Posted by SpideyPod on October 24, 2003 at 7:08 AM (CDT)