MacSkinz releases iPodSkinz - faceplates for iPod | iLounge News

MacSkinz releases iPodSkinz - faceplates for iPod

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, May 13, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

picMacSkinz has released iPodSkinz, a hard plastic faceplate for all iPods and coming soon to the iPod mini. iPodSkinz feature access holes for scroll/touch wheels, and come in twenty-one printed designs - ranging from faux fur, alien heads to camouflage. MacSkinz also plans on releasing backplates in matching designs. iPodSkinz cost $20 and are available now for shipping.

Editor’s note: MacSkinz has increased the price from $12.50 to $20 and have removed the $25 minimum order requirement.

« OtterBox announces oPod - water resistant case for iPod

i-magine UK offers iSkin mini for 18.99 »

Comments

Wow, these are as nice as I had been expecting.

I’ll be getting the blue cloud one as soon as I can.

I can’t wait for the back plates, as well… total coverage and protection for the iPod, in a beautiful, yet unobtrusive and thin shell.

Nice job, MacSkinz.  Now if only they’ll expand their line of designs as well…

Posted by PrototypeChild on May 13, 2004 at 8:53 AM (PDT)

$25 Min. order kind of takes away the ability to “sample”. Stuck buying 2 if you want to just see what its all about.

Posted by sure on May 13, 2004 at 9:13 AM (PDT)

Blue cloud?  I think you mean tye dye.  Either way that one looks cool, also the piet mondrian painting looks awesome on the ipod.  Possible purchase once they get the back plates.  I just wonder how it holds on, don’t want scratches on my baby smile.

Posted by acemilo on May 13, 2004 at 9:42 AM (PDT)

I know it’s tie-dye, but it gave me the impression of blue clouds. ;D

Posted by PrototypeChild on May 13, 2004 at 10:01 AM (PDT)

How does the iPodSkinz attach to the iPod?

Their FAQs state:

Are MacSkinz removable?
Yes. And we use a very high quality tape from 3M that does not dry and will not mark the computer. It is that clear “gummy” type.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on May 13, 2004 at 10:03 AM (PDT)

What’s the point?  Changing the iPods color is nice and protecting it is alwo nice but the iPod can’t be docked with the skin on.  To use my iPod with my stereo I will have to take off the skin and put it back on.  I might as well stick with the case that came with my iPod.

These do look like good products, I would like to see the back 1/2, another option to protect the iPod.

Posted by whybother on May 13, 2004 at 10:20 AM (PDT)

I agree - the min order is 25.00 - therefore you have to buy 2 - that sucks - and everytime I want to dock with my altec lansing speakers or the dock I have to pry it off?? How many times is that “gummy tape” gonna last doing that? They should have thought this out better…a shame ‘cause the carbon fiber would look good on my boat….

Posted by glen ersly on May 13, 2004 at 10:46 AM (PDT)

They look nice. Can’t wait to order one.

Posted by WOLFMAN on May 13, 2004 at 10:55 AM (PDT)

You can’t order one…you have to order two.  I thought they looked cool too, but, I only want one…

Posted by AMG on May 13, 2004 at 1:10 PM (PDT)

Well I am sure once they relase the back plates that will make $25.00 just a guess.

Posted by mike on May 13, 2004 at 1:28 PM (PDT)

Oh I just noticed that wood panneling, lmao reminds me of the old station wagons.

Posted by Heh on May 13, 2004 at 1:30 PM (PDT)

The story says they’re available for $12, but the website says $20/ea? I sure hope not!

Posted by narco in Burbank on May 13, 2004 at 2:05 PM (PDT)

Its nice to see a company make a move in the right direction and offer customers something special. If you can find a way to change the actual face plate you will have a real winner on your hands. Good luck and I wish you much success

Posted by Lajo on May 13, 2004 at 2:44 PM (PDT)

I don’t understand this product, to dock it, you have to pry the face plates off.  It is a nice concept of being able to change your iPod’s color but to use it poperly (hooked up to a stereo) would require disassemblement.  Nice thought but that defeats the purpose of the case that Apple provides with the 20 GB and 40 GB models.  An iSkin would be better, same effects as these plates but the iSkins can glow now.

Posted by eh on May 13, 2004 at 3:03 PM (PDT)

Nice..i like the reticulated python skin…the longest snake in the world :-D

Posted by Boaguy on May 13, 2004 at 3:09 PM (PDT)

Hey all,
Ipodlounge should have samples in their hands the beginning of next week. I’m sure you’ll get the unbiased skinny. As for fitting in the dock, Ipods were never meant to be Skinned, so they won’t fit. Also, the current designs are to test the market and see what moves. Hop on our website and give us some design suggestions if you wish.

thanks,
Doug
[url=http://www.macskinz.com]http://www.macskinz.com[/url]

Posted by macskinz on May 13, 2004 at 3:13 PM (PDT)

I’m buying that black carbon fiber (?) looking one as soon as the back for it comes out. smile

Posted by noname on May 13, 2004 at 5:37 PM (PDT)

are there backs?

Posted by hipod on May 13, 2004 at 8:50 PM (PDT)

Shouldn’t the skins be in different sizes for the different sized iPods?  I have a big 40gig iPod, I don’t want to buy a $40 case that doesn’t fit right.  And for such an expensive case, they really should put a clear window on the front to protect the screen.  The designs are nice, but at this point I don’t know why they think anyone is going to pay $20 for a case that only protects half the iPod.

Posted by gosford on May 13, 2004 at 9:25 PM (PDT)

Suggestion #1

Don’t force two down our throats. Websites with a “minimum order” tend to sell garbage that they hope to force on customers before everyone realizes they just wasted their money on crap.

I have order items online for $15 before. Mind giving me the BS company line as to why your market research shows that customers rather be forced to pay for 2 when they only want one?

I had one in the cart yesterday until I saw the minimum. I promptly closed the page. Lost sale. Terrific policy!

I can’t wait to hear this….

Posted by sure on May 14, 2004 at 4:40 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >