MacSkinz releases iPodSkinz - faceplates for iPod | iLounge News

MacSkinz releases iPodSkinz - faceplates for iPod

picMacSkinz has released iPodSkinz, a hard plastic faceplate for all iPods and coming soon to the iPod mini. iPodSkinz feature access holes for scroll/touch wheels, and come in twenty-one printed designs - ranging from faux fur, alien heads to camouflage. MacSkinz also plans on releasing backplates in matching designs. iPodSkinz cost $20 and are available now for shipping.

« OtterBox announces oPod - water resistant case for iPod

i-magine UK offers iSkin mini for £18.99 »

Comments

Suggestion # 2 Doug -
We aren’t morons. Yesterday the plate was $12 and today it is $20. Nice way to make up the difference on the minimum order.
Don’t screw your customers. They will quickly become the other guys customers.

You just lost one here.

Posted by sure on May 14, 2004 at 4:43 AM (PDT)

“Editor’s note: MacSkinz has increased the price from $12.50 to $20 and have removed the $25 minimum order requirement. “

Translation - You don’t want to buy 2 for $25 you say? Well we can fix that. We’ll jack up the price of one.

Are you you going to kiss us before you screw us Doug?

Posted by sure on May 14, 2004 at 4:45 AM (PDT)

It would seem to me that if I put a faceplate on my Pod w/out a backplate, then I am going to have an uneven ridge that sticks out around my Pod.  Who wants that!?!

Posted by NoneOYerBusiness on May 14, 2004 at 5:47 AM (PDT)

“The whole idea of a face plate without a back plate has got to be one of the stupidest things I have EVAH seen.

It would seem to me that if I put a faceplate on my Pod w/out a backplate, then I am going to have an uneven ridge that sticks out around my Pod. Who wants that!?!”

Don’t worry in a few weeks for a mere $20 more you can have a backplate too. So the new minimum is $40 for a case with a sticker on it.

Posted by sure on May 14, 2004 at 6:36 AM (PDT)

Oh boy, where do I start?

I’m the manufacturer and am in this forum to hear you out and hopefully clear things up.

First off, the price increase has nothing to do with removing the minimum order. Please don’t put words in our mouth. After speaking with retailers, I found that I needed to increase the MSRP in order for THEM to have a profit margin. I didn’t realize this until after I released PodSkinz to the public. I could probably manufacture PodSkinz overseas and sell them for a few bucks but I guarantee that they would never look as good and iPod owners want nothing but the best. If consumers only knew the trouble and expense it takes to release a product they would appreciate products all the more.

The reason for removing the minimum order is because there is now enough profit in it for us to process each order. Let me make it clear that we are a manufacturer and NOT a retailer. This goes back to what I said before, our goal is to get MacSkinz in retail outlets so that consumers can purchase them more easily. We will benefit from greater sales and consumers will benefit from seeing them first-hand and not having to pay shipping. Larger manufacturing runs will also enable us drop the price which will eventually have to happen. Everyone benefits.

As for releasing fronts and not backs, MacSkinz are MacSkinz, nothing more. They are a purely cosmetic product and protection is only a side benefit. When we do release the backs, there will be a few sizes due to the varying thicknesses. The fronts remain the same. We clearly explain and show the resultant small ridge on our website so consumers are aware before purchasing. It is as thick as a credit card so isn’t that noticeable.

This brings me to the “sticker” comment. PodSkinz are anything but a sticker. It could only be so easy.

I hope this clears things up,
Doug
[url=http://www.macskinz.com]http://www.macskinz.com[/url]

Posted by macskinz on May 14, 2004 at 7:13 AM (PDT)

Gotcha Doug. Well I certainly feel better now about paying 8 bucks more for something I could have gotten 2 of the day before for just a few bucks more (although of course that would not have been by choice).

I am sure your “skin” is much more than a sticker. But the bottom line is charging double to complete a product that should come completed is getting over on the customer.
Yesterday the face plate was just over 12, today not only is the face plate $20 but to make sure your iPod doesn’t lose the smoothness and comfort to carry you are used to you are going to have to shell out another $20 to complete the “skin”.

How about this, sell it as one piece for $30. If you just want the fact plate then it will cost you $20. Make it worth someone’s while to buy both. If you are the manufacturer and you were betting on the success of this product you would have given a little more thought to your pricing scheme which to date has been somewhat misleading not to mention overpriced.

Posted by sure on May 14, 2004 at 7:49 AM (PDT)

The pricing for the backplate will be the same as for the faceplate. I have yet to price the both of them as a pair in which case there would be some type of discount. The faceplate is available right now for early adopters who want to be the first on the block with a new accessory. If a customer wants to buy a backplate at a later date, I could also give the same discount to customers who have already purchased the faceplate.

As for backplates completing the product, MacSkinz have already established themselves in the laptop world as a “faceplate” for the top of the computer. I will not create bottoms because of heat build-up issues. PodSkinz are MacSkinz for the iPod. If I never meantioned a complementary product (backplate) then nobody would know better. I like to keep customers informed of our development progress so I chose to divulge that information.

As for overpriced, There is no competitive product for a reason. They are not cheap to develop or manufacture. The printing technology is proprietary and comes with a cost. The tooling is also pricey much less the equipment. If I produced MacSkinz for the PC world instead of the small niche market they are aimed at, then all of the development costs could be amortized amongst the millions sold. Prices could be cheaper. It would also be cheaper if I produced a couple designs insead of the many that I do. Then I would hear “Boy those are cheap but I don’t want one cause you have no design choices I like”. It all has to balanced out.

One thing to note is that PodSkinz are nothing like cel phone covers that cost next to nothing. The images are very vibrant and do not scratch off.

I hope that clears up some more,
Doug
[url=http://www.macskinz.com]http://www.macskinz.com[/url]

Posted by macskinz on May 14, 2004 at 9:22 AM (PDT)

Since this appears to be a macskinz Q&A for the moment is there going to be a flame design coming out like the old iBook skinz you had?  As well have you tested for heat issues whent he front and back are covered or would we have to remove the back covering every time we want to use it as a hard drive?

Posted by mike on May 14, 2004 at 10:24 AM (PDT)

I haven’t checked them for heat issues. The iPod won’t heat up more than if it were in a silicone sleeve or leather case so that shouldn’t be a problem. There is no way that the heat generated by the iPod could damage a PodSkinz either. Being that I work with heating plastics, I have the equipment to check it out and will look into it.

Flames are next on our list.

Thanks,
Doug
[url=http://www.macskinz.com]http://www.macskinz.com[/url]

Posted by macskinz on May 14, 2004 at 1:01 PM (PDT)

I’ll wait until the backplates appear, but I will definitely buy them. It’s a perfect product in my book because those silicone cases suck and the fabric ones are good for nothing.

Posted by narco in Burbank on May 14, 2004 at 1:38 PM (PDT)

40 bucks for front and back is WAY too expensive for something the manufacturer himself says is not designed to be protective.

No sale.  And I buy one of almost EVERY case that comes down the pike.

Posted by stark23x on May 14, 2004 at 11:01 PM (PDT)

Waaaayyyy too expensive for front and back.
Doug you had it going good with the 12.50 (except for the $25 min) but no matter what spin you put on it you nearly doubled the price on us. A bit much…..........

But it does look like a nice product which is too bad.

Posted by sure on May 15, 2004 at 4:26 AM (PDT)

If compared to the silicone jackets or fabric/leather cases, I would have to say that PodSkinz are far more impact resistant. Picture the rigidity of a credit card enclosing the iPod. As for the price (again) I have not established what it will be if the front and back are purchased together. There will be a discount of some sort or another.

Thanks,
Doug
[url=http://www.macskinz.com]http://www.macskinz.com[/url]

Posted by macskinz on May 15, 2004 at 5:02 AM (PDT)

Ya I think the back should be half price or the original $12.50 when you buy the front.  I say this because now that you have increased the cost to cover the overhead on the front you don’t need to double dip and up the price on the back as well.

Total protection for $32.50 puts you in and around the price of the silicone and neoprene cases.

Posted by mike on May 15, 2004 at 6:27 AM (PDT)

As a side note, silicone cases probably cost pennies to manufacture less the cost of the tooling. PodSkinz cost a fortune to manufacture by comparison. I know consumers want products cheap but manufacturing costs are a factor in determining the retail price. We as the manufacturer could sell them for less but as I said before, the MSRP needs to be at a point where resellers can cover their costs such as overhead and advertisiing. We also can’t undersell our resellers, it’s bad business and unethical.

Thanks,
Doug
[url=http://www.macskinz.com]http://www.macskinz.com[/url]

Posted by macskinz on May 15, 2004 at 2:24 PM (PDT)

Sometimes silence is the best defense, Doug.  If your product is really that great, it will speak for itself, not the other way around.

Posted by seandavid010 in So Cal on May 15, 2004 at 8:22 PM (PDT)

I don’t think I have been defending our product but explaining to some devoted iPod users the reasoning behind our pricing. I also thought speaking directly to the manufacturer would be a well received opportunity for consumers. I’ll keep my mouth shut on the subject.

Thanks,
Doug
[url=http://www.macskinz.com]http://www.macskinz.com[/url]

Posted by macskinz on May 16, 2004 at 6:18 AM (PDT)

<<I would have to say that PodSkinz are far more impact resistant. >>

Yes, especially when the back and front pop off upon impact because they are 2 separate pieces. :-D

Posted by Garthzoman on May 18, 2004 at 9:00 AM (PDT)

Good to see a manufacturer speaking to his customers.  My question is simple - will I have to take the skin(s) off every time I want to dock with my pc?  If so, what effect will that have on the tape holding them on? Ta

Posted by Bluegrunt on May 18, 2004 at 9:56 AM (PDT)

Hi i was interested in purchasing a Podskin but first i have a few questions.  The description says the tape will not mark or leave a residue on your ipod but has anyone out there used one and can prove it casue i dont want to ruin a 300$ ipod that i just got.  Also someone said it will fall apart if i drop it will it?  Will it fall apart if i drop it on a wood floor,a carpet? I like to snowboard will the Podskin protect it from the snow?  Will it protect from the snow any more or less than a silicone cases?  And is it as protective as a Silicone case.

Posted by Zinger in Deerfield on December 31, 2004 at 1:30 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2