MacSkinz releases The Wedgee adjustable stand | iLounge News

MacSkinz releases The Wedgee adjustable stand

picMade of laser-cut, clear acrylic, The Wedgee stand features adjustable width and depth to accommodate an iPod, iPod mini and some PDAs, and has built-in cable management. The adjustability also allows for most cases to remain on the iPod/iPod mini while using the stand. Two versions are available, one with black plastic adjustable knobs ($30) and another with stainless steel knobs ($35).

« Mac: iPodDownload 1.0 released

iTunes accused of overcharging UK customers »

Comments

Pretty sharp looking (in an industrual kind of way.)

Posted by ape on September 15, 2004 at 9:45 AM (PDT)

For that price just get a real dock.

Posted by Dave on September 15, 2004 at 10:11 AM (PDT)

This thing is really gay.  Just get a dock.  Waste time and money.

Posted by I dont know how to design on September 15, 2004 at 10:49 AM (PDT)

I might just use a $1 Plate display stand!

Posted by Kiwi-B on September 15, 2004 at 11:30 AM (PDT)

dockers just released the new “iPocket” dock…..holds any size iPod as well as coins, keys, and change to scratch your iPod…..for set up, insert iPod, connect cable and run from iPocket to ear!!!

they are selling them in all different waist sizes for aprox 30-60 dollars at any clothing store….

Posted by rivlinm on September 15, 2004 at 12:33 PM (PDT)

Someone here is really thinking something like “Uhhh, Ipod owners are dumb and like to pay 30$ for 50 cents pieces of plastic, lets do it and they’ll dish out the cash without protesting”

I know we all have a choice not to buy but c’mon, 30$ this is ridiculous.

Posted by Ipodium in montreal on September 15, 2004 at 3:26 PM (PDT)

That thing sucks. I wouldn’t use it if it were given to me free. $30 is disgusting. The interesting thing is that Mini though. Is that a sticker, or a very cool paint job?

Posted by pigpen65 on September 15, 2004 at 4:30 PM (PDT)

Yeah, this thing is quite funny to imagine. but the “ipocket” from dockers, now that’s hilarious!

Btw - if you’re looking for good mini stickers, check these out, i bought a couple- they’re nice.

Posted by Sam on September 15, 2004 at 5:29 PM (PDT)

I wish MacSkinz would put their energy into releasing the 40gig 4g “PodSkinz”.

.narco

Posted by narco in Burbank on September 15, 2004 at 5:57 PM (PDT)

Be a friend. Give a geek a Wedgee for Christmas.

Posted by Cad on September 15, 2004 at 7:24 PM (PDT)

The functional purpose of the Wedgee is a stand that holds any ipod in almost any case at a convenient angle with the dock connector still connected. No dock will do that. The price is based on the fact that they are laser-cut from Lucite in VERY small numbers and not mass produced. Give a geek a Wedgee for Christmas.

Thanks
Doug
[url=http://www.macskinz.com]http://www.macskinz.com[/url]

Posted by macskinz on September 16, 2004 at 4:37 AM (PDT)

right on, doug!

I never use my ipod at home (ok, rarely) but the lucite thing’s pretty cool…!

Posted by mvague on September 16, 2004 at 4:43 AM (PDT)

Who really cares if these are laser cut or die cut… how many 1/100 of a mm of a difference will it make anyway. Heck, dies have decent tolerances too. $30 for what seems like a few pieces of plastic assembled together seems a bit overkill… at least the iPod dock has a line out and blends in with the iPod itself.

Posted by aj on September 16, 2004 at 6:01 AM (PDT)

Docks will not hold an iPod while still in a case. The Wedgee will. Also, dies only work on thin, cheap plastic.

Posted by macskinz on September 16, 2004 at 6:41 AM (PDT)

I bought one…it will arrive today…I needed a stand for my office…preferably clear since all of my plants are grown in clear vases in water…all of my office supplies are also clear.(including soundsticks and my mac monitor). I do think the price of entry was a bit steep but it fit what i wanted and i like the design.

Posted by medred3k on September 16, 2004 at 8:08 AM (PDT)

It just arrived. Very nice piece of work. Exceptionally clear and thick quality plastic. It’s a very unique stand and looks very good in my office. It is a little expensive but i’m satisfied with my purchase. I like how the dock connector fits under the bottom. This looks much better in my office than the desktop dock from apple. I won’t miss the line out either since I play iTunes through my computer and to my soundsticks. I mainly just keep my ipod mini docked in my office to keep it charged so I can listen to music on my 1 hour ride home or to use it as a portable hard drive.

Posted by medred3k on September 16, 2004 at 11:21 AM (PDT)

I’m glad you like it medred3k.

thanks,
Doug
MacSkinz

Posted by macskinz on September 16, 2004 at 11:28 AM (PDT)

Man, this thing is pretty dumb. I never understood the market for most of this crap for iPods. I have had 3 iPods, and i bought a couple of protective cases for them, and they just seem stupid. The iPod is a really rad piece of technology, but it isn’t a rolex. You don’t need to buy stuff to show it off, clean it of scratches, or to protect it from the perils of commuting to your office everyday.
I am a 16 year old boy and I have put my iPods through hell and back (150 degree heat, numerous drops, magnets…). The iPod is perfectly fine without most of these accessories, and by buying them you prove that you have nothing else better to do with your time and money.
What I’m trying to say is that this isn’t worth money, I wouldn’t use an ‘ipod stand’ if it were given to me. The docks that come with them are about useless as well. You are better off going back to buying furniture out of SkyMall catalogues.

Posted by SpaceCadetMark on September 18, 2004 at 4:26 AM (PDT)

Some people take pride in their possessions. Just like I don’t want scratces on my watches or my car…I don’t want scratchees on my ipod. Just like I polish my shoes and brush my teeth…I want my ipod to be in it’s best condition. It’s great to know that you’ve done all of that with your ipod…But I would rather keep mine in looking like i just bought it. As long as i don’t have buyer’s remorse…i’m not wasting my money. To each, his or her own.

Posted by medred3k on September 19, 2004 at 5:04 AM (PDT)

Sorry folks,
I know medred3k said: “I like the design…”  but honestly, design is the last thing this item has.  It is an “engineered” solution at best.  I’m not saying that my opinion is better than anyone elses here, but I’m a product designer, and if there is one thing I know when I see it, its design; and there isn’t much here.  Not to discount an engineer’s point of view, but most people who are attracted to the ipod, are so because of its design, simplicity and aesthetic emotion, products that deter from that turn most people off.  I don’t want to go into too much thought here, because frankly, its not worth it.  But I think this principle applies to ALL ipod accesories:  K.I.S.S. (Keep It Stupid Simple)  Think about it, and look at all the other ipod accesories. If its trying to be the “swiss army knife” its probably too much.  And one size should never fit all.  But thats just my opinion.  Sorry for rambling.

Posted by apple juice on September 20, 2004 at 6:23 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >