MacSkinz releases The Wedgee adjustable stand | iLounge News

MacSkinz releases The Wedgee adjustable stand

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, September 15, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

picMade of laser-cut, clear acrylic, The Wedgee stand features adjustable width and depth to accommodate an iPod, iPod mini and some PDAs, and has built-in cable management. The adjustability also allows for most cases to remain on the iPod/iPod mini while using the stand. Two versions are available, one with black plastic adjustable knobs ($30) and another with stainless steel knobs ($35).

« Mac: iPodDownload 1.0 released

iTunes accused of overcharging UK customers »

Comments

It’s funny. When we released the ModPod, we got suggestions to keep it simple so as not to distract from the clean look of the iPod. With this product, much of the design is integral to it’s interlocking construction. The Wedgee was made clean and simple. The “lightening holes” are actually places to keep your earbuds off the table, the notch at the top is for storing the cable. Since there are so many different cases on the market, KISS just won’t cut it in this regard.

Posted by macskinz on September 21, 2004 at 5:00 AM (PDT)

But macskinz, thats the point…  It has so many “features” that it detracts from the origional design intent.  An ipod stand doesn’t need to be more than one part.  Look at the iCurve Laptop Stand, similar application… keeps the laptop off the desk.  It is so incredibly simple, yet it accomplishes its purpose.  And oh by the way, you can slide a keyboard under it…  Thats a bonus.
  I bet most people with the Apple iPod case have never tried to wrap their earbuds around the belt clip.  It works rather well actually.  But it was that Apple made sure to leave a channel around the clip’s parimeter for people to discover, they didn’t advertise it.  I guess what I’m getting at is that its not all about the number of bullet points you can put on the box.  Making simple products is difficult today, trust me I know.  In such a competitive market, it seems to come down to bullet points anymore.  But I believe that when a truly simple, and elegant solution is presented, people will flock to it, and in using it discover great little details, and gain even more respect for not only the product, but the company.  By the way Macskins, this isn’t a dig on your products alone… It really is an OVERALL observation of most of the ipod products I’ve seen out there.  And again, its just my opinion

Posted by apple juice on September 21, 2004 at 8:44 AM (PDT)

It’s made out of 4 clear wedges…you don’t get muc more simple than that. Design is not universal. I guess we should all keep in mind that these are all opinions. To each his own. I live by form follows function. You design the function first…and the form follows suit. To each his own. And I know of atleast two designers who like it. (medred3k <——<< website developer, logo creator, professional business presentation developer and best friend and conconspirator of Brian Stark…graphic designer, sculptor, artist, filmographer… http://www.starkdesign.net/ ... )

Posted by medred3k on September 21, 2004 at 1:05 PM (PDT)

“It’s made out of 4 clear wedges…you don’t get muc more simple than that.”

your absolutely right, so why does it cost $35?  And don’t tell me for its “design.”

Oh, and by the way, if your gonna name drop?- be sure they are relevant to your argument.  Brian Stark?  I’d be more impressed if it were Phillipe Stark- at least he would know good design when he saw it.

Posted by apple juice on September 23, 2004 at 4:34 AM (PDT)

You’re right apple juice! The “design” only required a little grey matter, a micrometer, and Adobe Illustrator. Anybody with a $20k laser cutter and a sheet of crystal clear Lucite could easilly cut out the 4 wedges. The metal fittings/knobs could also be purchased at consumer prices because the quantities don’t meet required minimums for discount rates.

Posted by macskinz on September 23, 2004 at 6:22 AM (PDT)

hey “apple juice”, if you are going to name drop, at least get the name correct, its Philippe Starck, not Stark.

Posted by starkdesign in Texas on September 23, 2004 at 12:52 PM (PDT)

I would just like to say I’m very pleased with my wedgee…if anyone wants pictures of it in an actual setting just let me know…

Posted by medred3k on September 23, 2004 at 3:19 PM (PDT)

Evidently this forum has far surpassed the origional topic of conversation.  I’m not here to insult anybody, nor am I here to bash on anyone’s designs.  If we distill our comments down to their real meaning- and all thats left is pessimism and half-wit sarcasm; than indeed we’ve gone to far.  I read these forums frequently to get honest opinions of products before I drop money on them as a consumer—its always good to know a something about a product before you buy it.

The dignity of this forum rely’s on the honesty of the users. Publicly arguing over opinions does no one any justice.  So perhaps we can call a ‘truce.’  While I may not fully appreciate the design desicions made with this product, I will look forward to its next generation.  Till then, best of luck to you and your product.

Posted by apple juice on September 24, 2004 at 4:01 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2