Mac|Windows: iPod Updater 2004-10-20 released | iLounge News

Mac|Windows: iPod Updater 2004-10-20 released

iPod Updater 2004-10-20 includes iPod Photo Software 1.0 for use with iPod Photo. iPod Updater 2004-10-20 also contains the same iPod software included in iPod Updater 2004-08-06 for all other iPod models. Download and install the iPod Updater 2004-10-20 then connect your iPod, iPod Photo or iPod mini to your computer. The iPod Updater will automatically determine if an update is required.

What’s new in this version:

New updates for iPod Photo:

High-resolution, backlit color LCD display
Browse and view photos in a 5 x 5 thumbnail view or full screen view
Browse photo collections or view photo slideshows with music
Improved battery life for up to 15 hours of music playback
Up to 5 hours of photo slideshow viewing with music
Scrolling titles during music navigation for songs, albums, and artists

Updates for Click Wheel iPods:

Improved connectivity with some FireWire cards using the VIA chipset
Improved connectivity with FireWire hubs, and with 4-pin FireWire ports
Improved power management
Improved performance with the optional external battery pack
Removing headphones while the hold switch is on no longer wakes iPod

Updates for iPod with a Dock connector and iPod mini:

Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 or later and the iTunes Music Store
Improved playback performance
Support for the Apple Lossless Encoder

Updates for iPod without a Dock connector:
Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 or later and the iTunes Music Store
Improved playback performance

License: Feeware
System Requirements:

Comments

If iPod Photo gets 15 hours of battery life with a color screen, which will drain power more than the current iPod screens, then how much more hours would the previous iPods get with the new update?  Is the longer battery life of iPod Photo due to better designs for the new product?  If I could get 15 hours for 4G, then that would be something.

Posted by ijustbought4G on October 26, 2004 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

it’s probably got different hardware, not to mention a smaller buffer.  Which helps improve the battery life

Posted by MATRIXsjd in Burbank, Ca on October 26, 2004 at 3:46 PM (PDT)

When I try updating my 4th Generation Ipod and my mini I get a message saying that they are both up to date.  Anyone else get this problem.

Posted by DKNY on October 26, 2004 at 10:58 PM (PDT)

i dont believe there is an update for any other ipod.. all this does is add the new ipod photo to the updater, but there are no other changes for other ipods

or at least thats what i think

Posted by to dkny on October 26, 2004 at 11:26 PM (PDT)

I downloaded this Updater hoping that the featured “Click Wheel” improvements would be applicable to the iPod mini.  But then I noticed that the mini software packaged with this Updater is still v1.1.  Talk about old wine in a new bottle for us mini users.  Mmmmm…fermented grapes.

Posted by erayser in Los Angeles, CA on October 27, 2004 at 12:26 AM (PDT)

Ahh well, i was really hoping for aac+ support in the latest version of iTunes and the new iPod firmware…

Guess i got to wait until next time =(

Posted by aac+ on October 27, 2004 at 2:10 AM (PDT)

Funny, I ran the updater on my 4G iPod and I received the 3.01 software update. I wonder what the .01 was, even though they said there was no update for me.

Posted by Stan on October 27, 2004 at 2:23 AM (PDT)

I wonder if 4G user will get the same deal the 3G ones did in terms of updates. God do I feel ripped off.

Posted by Andy on October 27, 2004 at 4:30 AM (PDT)

I hope this does not signify slower or no updates for the 4G since it was just released.

Posted by mflat5 in USA on October 27, 2004 at 5:15 AM (PDT)

As a 3G owner, I’m pissed at the lack of updates, and the stupid way Apple manages to ad more than 2 “features” to it’s firmware, and all of a sudden, they have a “4G” iPod!

At least the iPod Photo is a REAL upgrade, worthy of being “next gen”.

Now it’s time for you iPod mini, and 4G owners to watch as Apple start to slowly loose the ability to write new firmware for your models now!  I think they must have like 4 or 5 people working on their firmware, and thats only when they are not working on a “next gen” product’s firmware!

I won’t be giving Apple any more of my custom.  The competition WILL catch up with Apple.  It’s getting VERY close now!

My iPod is just over a year old, and it has been dropped like a hot potato!

Posted by Tone on October 27, 2004 at 9:55 AM (PDT)

What is the point of supplying a 1.0 version of software for the new G5 model?  Does’nt that come with the machine?

If you read the list of updates, it sounds more like a bunch of marketing stuff to me!

This is what the 4G iPod should have been in the first place, instead of just a bunch of firmware updates that ALL iPods should be getting!

Posted by Hmmmm on October 27, 2004 at 10:06 AM (PDT)

im suprised all u peeps feel badly done to with the firmware. its a product, the faults have been fixed and it works perfectly. nuff said really.

Posted by HA on October 27, 2004 at 10:06 AM (PDT)

Hmmm, Matrix, how can a smaller buffer translate in to a longer battery life??

Surely a larger buffer means less HD access, resulting in less power drain.

Posted by Om on October 27, 2004 at 10:10 AM (PDT)

What’s up with this Website? Why repost this News twice? I don’t get it….

Oh well for those that came late!

the only new thing on the 20.10.2004 release is for a Product that will only become avalible sometime next Week.

... The Photo’Pod…

Let’s break it down People…

Photo’Pod (5G??) 1.0
iPod Mini         1.1 (No change)
iPod 1 & 2G       1.4 (No change)
iPod 3G           2.2 (No change)
iPod 4G           3.0.1 (No change)

So seeing as the Photo’Pod has it’s own OS Rev. ~COUGH~ Firmware ~COUGH~!
It would appear that the 4G Crowd will be joining us in our 3G Hell, =)  and that only after Three Months after it was released! I’m glad I got the 3G Model I’d be really REALLY PI$SED OFF if Iwere a 4G owner Today!!!!

Posted by Ichijoe on October 27, 2004 at 10:11 AM (PDT)

HA works for Apple!

Posted by Tone on October 27, 2004 at 10:12 AM (PDT)

You guys are killing me. most of you act like your going to get photo support or some new feature thats going to make your iPod something better then what it already is. The only updates you should be expcting is to fix problems or add support for something new with iTunes.

I for one am very happy with my iPod, (3G) I think the iPod Photo is to much for just photo support (big deal) slap a camara on it then we will talk…

Posted by Zardoz on October 27, 2004 at 10:14 AM (PDT)

I only wish that some bright thing could hack the 4G firmware, and make it run on a 3G, because that is just about the only real difference between them!

Posted by Tone on October 27, 2004 at 10:15 AM (PDT)

Ha doesnt work for apple, hes the same guy that wanted aac+. im just saying i dont know why all u people get pissed off at the way your treated by apple. the ipod performs as it should so be happy with it. Im a previous 3g owner and upgraded to a 4g because my music had out grown the 20gb (18.5) it had. it was just a boon that it had a longer battery life.

i do not feel like i was ripped off, i wouldnt want to buy a $500 or $600 music and picture player.

just be happy with what youve got, not everyone can affored an ipod you know.

Posted by HA on October 27, 2004 at 12:39 PM (PDT)

I can see it coming already…
The colour screen iPod will have AAC+ support soon or some other good features added (on the music side of things) and all other iPods will miss out.
Thanks in advance Apple.

Mental note to self ... wait at least 3 months after the release of a new iPod before purchasing.
Actually, new note to self ... dont buy a new iPod again.

Posted by PeeBee on October 27, 2004 at 3:34 PM (PDT)

the 4g support has in now way been dropped.  they’re still selling them, so obviously, they could still very easily develop new updates for them.

its the 1g, 2g, 3g ipods that i highly doubt will see any significant updates.

Posted by StinkieDMB in Pittsburgh, PA on October 27, 2004 at 5:08 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >