Macworld: BTI debuts first iPod FM Receiver [updated] | iLounge News

Macworld: BTI debuts first iPod FM Receiver [updated]

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, January 12, 2005
News Categories: iPod Accessories

picBattery Technology Incorporated (BTI), maker of iLounge’s 2004 Accessory of the Year The iPod Battery, today announced March 2005 availability of a fan-requested product: a three in one iPod FM radio receiver, transmitter, and remote control cable. The new accessory will retail for $79 and permit real-time tuning of five preset radio stations, connecting through the iPod’s headphone port.

For photos of the prototype unit, click “Read more” below. The final shipping hardware will change dramatically in physical appearence, including a glossy white plastic front that’s more resilient, and will include an impressively simple way for the iPod to receive FM radio broadcasts… without having to install software on your PC or Mac.

BTI also showed The iPod Battery 3 ($59), which adds 8-10 hours of playback time to an iPod with 4 replaceable AA batteries. March availability is planned, and the company may well rename the Battery 3 before shipment.

pic
Prototype only.

pic
Prototype only.

pic
Prototype only.

« iPod & iTunes Garage book updated

iPod shuffle lacks AIFF, Apple Lossless support »

Comments

any pic yet

Posted by BIGP in Texas on January 12, 2005 at 4:11 PM (PDT)

I hope that’s a prototype, unless it follows a rough iTrip form factor, people will be better off just carrying a seperate small AM/FM radio.

Posted by M3wThr33 in Redmond, WA on January 13, 2005 at 2:06 AM (PDT)

Very well ... I hope the final release would be nicer and smaller…...

Posted by verby in Italy on January 13, 2005 at 3:32 AM (PDT)

It does say prototype below the photo. though it does look more like a meat thermometer than an iPod accessory.

Posted by Derek in Chicago, IL on January 13, 2005 at 7:56 AM (PDT)

this is STUPID.  most of us wanted a radio transmitter to listen to talk radio, i.e. AM, not FM radio.  If they’re going to bother making the product, why not include both?  annoying…

Posted by petro on January 13, 2005 at 8:33 AM (PDT)

They’re going to radically change the look of the final accessory - high-gloss plastic and the like. It’s just a prototype.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on January 13, 2005 at 9:12 AM (PDT)

Talk radio?! That wouldn’t be my first reason to buy this product. Not that I listen to the radio that much anyway - but being able to transmit and recieve FM is a great idea. Pending a look at the model that ships, I’d spend the $80 for this.

Posted by ndokiman on January 13, 2005 at 10:18 AM (PDT)

does it act like a remote as well

Posted by BIGP in Texas on January 13, 2005 at 3:25 PM (PDT)

Pending on looks, Im definetley getting one. This is exactly what I need!!!!

Posted by Guido Hatsis in Wellington on January 13, 2005 at 4:55 PM (PDT)

I actually carry around a small radio (still about the size of the iPod) and use my iPod headphones to listen the radio. It is pretty annoying to have to carry both.
I’ve tried the FM-Xtra and it is horrible and completely unusable.
Griffin was making the iFM and wish they would develop it again.
Apple should add a FM radio with Radio Data System to the iPod.
Some stations transmit what songs they are playing. There could be a store button so that later when I sync my iPod, the iTunes music store would show the song names stored for purchase.
Select a talk radio program and it could load that program in audible.com.

Bob

Posted by BobR on January 16, 2005 at 7:03 AM (PDT)

this i s greta but i agree uu hskld have something like ther itrip…..like you can see what the radio station is on the screen adn if it does transmit the name it should show that it shouldnt stor that on teh ipod…it would take up more memory…..this is much better tehn the ifm that was horrible

Posted by mofofofo on January 17, 2005 at 2:41 PM (PDT)

Can’t wait for this product. I’ve been searching every-where. I love morning comedy radio & just being able to have a break from my music. I would pay up to $150 (australian) = us approx. $75.

Posted by emjayare in australia on March 7, 2005 at 3:14 PM (PDT)

damn, it’s about time….i have wanted something to this affect since i got my mini…my guess is that it will be a hard white plastic just like the ipod itself…WOOHOO!!

Posted by IronMaiden434321 on April 2, 2005 at 7:17 AM (PDT)