Macworld: Griffin debuts Dock800 Firewire 800 Cable for iPod | iLounge News

Macworld: Griffin debuts Dock800 Firewire 800 Cable for iPod

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, January 14, 2005
News Categories: iPod Accessories

pic Griffin Technology today introduded the Dock800, a FireWire 800 cable to attach your iPod to a Mac or PC. The Dock800 is a Dock-to-FireWire 800 cable for communicating with and charging iPods. The cable will not increase music transfer speeds—it is meant for better management of available ports on your computer. “Since FireWire 400 ports are at a premium, by using the Dock800 cable, you’re making efficient use of your FireWire ports,” said Griffin. The Dock800 will begin shipping in the first quarter of this year for $14.99.

« Comedian Sinbad loves iPod shuffle, Mac mini

Geek Culture unveils the PodderPouch »

Comments

I don’t get it.

Posted by bugbiteme in USA on January 14, 2005 at 11:05 AM (PDT)

I don’t get it.

Posted by bugbiteme in USA on January 14, 2005 at 11:08 AM (PDT)

oops sorry

Posted by bugbiteme in USA on January 14, 2005 at 11:34 AM (PDT)

well basically not asmany accesories use firewire 800 as 400, so I suppose this cable is good if you have an 800 port, that way you can have your external hardrive etc. hooked up to the 400 and plug ur ipod in on the 800.  That’s about all it does lol

Posted by MATRIXsjd in Burbank, Ca on January 14, 2005 at 5:25 PM (PDT)

doesn’t this cost the same as getting another 2-input firewire card?

Posted by andres in Miami on January 15, 2005 at 6:19 AM (PDT)

You’re not the olny on e who fails to get the point here! If FireWire400 Ports are “at a preimum.” Then surely FireWire800 Ports surley almost nonexistent. As for useing up my FireWire Ports. My PCI Card has Three Ports on it. The iPod is the only device to make use of it! This is the FireWire equivalent of trying to use a USB2.0 Cable on a USB1.x Port (Ok I know that USB = USB) But, you get the point!

Last time I check pure FireWire400 Cards were going for around ca. €40.00(EUR) so no if this Cable costs only $14.99(USD), I think your gonna need about $25.00(USD) or so more…

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on January 15, 2005 at 7:04 AM (PDT)

pure FireWire400 Cards were going for around ca. €40.00

FW400 cards for PCs start at around $7 (US). I really can’t understand why people think they are any less affordable than USB2. They certainly work a lot smoother!

FW800 cards start at around $40.

Posted by Demosthenes on January 15, 2005 at 7:48 AM (PDT)

Well First of compariing €(EUR) to $(USD) is pointles as I can’t be in the US to pay in $(USD) in the first place. But, it looks like I got ripped well thats what happens when you purchase Retail. I’ll take it these FW400 PCI Cards are White-Box (e.g. Bulk)?!?!

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on January 15, 2005 at 8:00 AM (PDT)

Checking the enclosed link above they are certenly White box specals. But, hay nothing wrong with that. Better then spending $25.00(USD), more then you need to.. Save the S&H and the Time you miss out on to have it shiped out to you. I guess I should have stresses Retail Prited Carton enclosed Adobe Premiere 10LE right from the start…

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on January 15, 2005 at 8:06 AM (PDT)

I pre-ordered one, because my firewire 400 powered portable HD holds my iTunes library for my Powerbook 15. Meanwhile I like to keep one USB 2.0 free for my Shuffle and the other for any other peripheral. I can use the firewire 800 to hook up my iPod without tying up more frequently used ports. Definitely, not something a lot of people need, but I, for one, am glad they made it.

Posted by be4be4 in Los Angeles, CA on February 11, 2005 at 10:24 AM (PDT)