Macworld: New Apple iPod mini announced | iLounge News

Macworld: New Apple iPod mini announced

picIn the final part of his Keynote speech today at MWSF Steve Jobs related how the Apple had sold 730,000 iPods and had propelled Apple to over 2 million iPods sold in total. In Oct/Nov Apple had taken 31% of the entire market share of MP3 players, 55% share of revenue and it was now Number 1 in units and revenue.

He announced that the 10GB iPod would be replaced by a 15GB model selling at the same price of $299.

Also Apple has released a pair of In-ear headphones selling at $39 and they are available from today. (These look very similar to the Sony EX71SL’s)

Today Apple launch the second member of the iPod family - the iPod mini. This will have a

• 4GB HD storage capacity

• Hold 1000 songs

• 0.5 inches thick

• Size of a business card

• Cost $249

It will use the same award winning interface as its big brother but will feature a new solid state “clickwheel” with function buttons moved under the wheel. The iPod mini Click Wheel gives you the enhanced durability and sensitivity of the iPod Touch Wheel. The Click Wheel takes best advantage of miniscule space and lets you scroll single handedly though your songs. Like its (slightly) bigger brother, iPod mini gives you over 25 minutes of skip protection and lasts up to 8 hours on a single battery charge.

It will use the familiar top controls of the 3G iPod and the Apple docking port on the base. It will come complete with a Firewire and USB cable, belt clip, Dock and armband.

The finish is anodised aluminum and a range of colours will be available -

• Silver

• Gold

• Blue

• Pink

• Green

These new iPods will start to ship in the US in February and Worldwide in April.

• « Apple’s 2004 Edition of 1984 Commercial

GarageBand - a pro-music tool for ever »

Comments

I personally like the new look, though I wonder about the usability of the new wheel…looks like it will be easy to hit buttons by mistake!

I agree completely the price is out of bounds…what are they thinking?  Especially when the market has been salivating at the prospect of a sub-$200 ValuePod.  They’re blowing a big opportunity to dramatically increase market penetration (which would drive iTMS sales and stave off the competition on that front).  Apple has not yet figured out they should concentrate on selling razor blades (songs) and not razors (hardware)!

Posted by Graylock on January 6, 2004 at 1:17 PM (CST)

actually, the point of iTMS is to drive the sales of iPods….Apple make practically no profit from selling songs on iTMS (most of the profit they make goes to record labels).
    for the iPod minis
    $250 just doesnt make any sort of sense…considering for 50 bucks more you can get a 15gb that is only slightly bigger.

Posted by ililililil on January 6, 2004 at 1:22 PM (CST)

If Apple had sold the new Mini’s for $19.99 people would still bitch. Come on people. Should I be pissed that 6 months ago I bought a 15 gig for $399 now it is only $299. Damn Apple! Throwing my iPod, which has given me hours and hours of enjoyment, out the window as I type. They should of kept it $399 just so I would not feel ripped off.

Posted by Randy on January 6, 2004 at 1:22 PM (CST)

one thing i was hoping for was a built in speaker.  the ability to use the ipod without headphones or an external device would have been great.  I have a pda with a built in speaker and the quality is great, so noone can say the quality wouldnt be there.  it woulda been a cool add on i think.  and i ddont like the way the new ones look though i do like the smaller size.

Posted by floppy jones on January 6, 2004 at 1:24 PM (CST)

Agreed agennusso.  Just about everyone here is missing the point.

Oh well, what can you do?  Apple is surely counting on some folks saying,  “Oh wait, only $50 more for 15 GB” and buy the iPod.  Doesn’t hurt Apple either way.  Anyone who has ever test-driven an iPod will surely choose the iPod mini over the Rio in the same price range.

Posted by The Raven in USA on January 6, 2004 at 1:25 PM (CST)

Someone mentioned the Rio Nitrus.  That only holds 1.5 gigs, and if you think the new iPod is ugly (which I don’t) you should see the Nitrus.  Yuck!  And the new iPod mini is only $30 more.  If you look at it from that point of view (Apple’s not competing with themselves, but with high end flash players like agennuso pointed out), this sounds like a good move for apple.

Posted by Drew McDaniel on January 6, 2004 at 1:26 PM (CST)

I agree with the people before me who said why in the world would you buy a 4gb iPod mini for $250 when you can get a 15gb for $300.  Makes no sense at all.  If they could have priced it around $100 to $150 I think you could get the people who were on the fence about buying one.

Posted by Rich on January 6, 2004 at 1:26 PM (CST)

whoa awesome!

Very nice and slik design…

But overprices, for extra 50 bucks you get the 15gig…

Royi

Posted by Royi Sher in Israel on January 6, 2004 at 1:28 PM (CST)

The Nitrus hold 4Gb dooder.

Posted by Mike on January 6, 2004 at 1:28 PM (CST)

I Agree that the price is toooo much.  I have a 30gb ipod on my pc and love it.  I have so much music that If I put all my audible books on it I would be out of space.  I do not want to spend 500 bucks for a 40 just to increase by 10 gb.  So I was thinking about getting the mini and having it be my audio book player.  I liked the idea of the small size and portability.  However now that the 299 price point is a 15gb ipod then what is the point.  If the mini was 199 and the 299 ipod was still a 10gb then I would consider spending 200 having a mini and having my main ipod be a permanant carrier of all my music. But now does not seem like such a good deal.

Posted by Adrian on January 6, 2004 at 1:29 PM (CST)

Drew, the new version holds 4 gigs, and not 1.5. Macminute.com and yahoo reported on it.

Posted by eric on January 6, 2004 at 1:30 PM (CST)

I’ve been reading about this for about a week now, even heard rumours it would retail at about

Posted by Hugh on January 6, 2004 at 1:31 PM (CST)

All of you who are crying about the $50 for another 11 gigs… Think about it for a second.  What’s the 4gig ipod competing against?  Certainly not the other ipods.  It’s a different market segment… Which means it’s competing with the flash based players like the 256/512mb players (which at this point cost over $200) or the 1.5gb Cornice technology based players.  Those are all around $200.  So $50 more for 2.5gb doesn’t seem that ridiculous.  Given the competition, $250 is still a competitive price.

Posted by ipod mini is priced right on January 6, 2004 at 1:31 PM (CST)

too expensive and not as pretty.
    Pointless really

Posted by Jon on January 6, 2004 at 1:31 PM (CST)

randy, did you not expect this to happen apple don’t care about people who have already bought the iPods (in a way). They want more people to buy them, after all, your not making them more money after buying the iPod. they don’t mind if you feel ripped off

upgrades are part of the consumer market, think of it like this, when yours breaks, gets burgled from your house or is under some form of insurance, you will get the 20 gb version, so you then get 5 free gb and and brand new iPod.

you made the choice of buying the iPod like everyone else, just dont blame apple, every company upgrades

Posted by silver_haze20 on January 6, 2004 at 1:32 PM (CST)

I stand corrected.  I googled it, but all I could find was the 1.5 gig.  Still, how much is the 4.0 gig, and what does it look like?

Posted by Drew McDaniel on January 6, 2004 at 1:33 PM (CST)

I guess what we are all missing here is an understanding that there are 4GB players out there that cost more!! The Nomad Muvo is a 4GB that was just announced a week ago—I saw that the price of this is $299 - so the minipod pricing is actually cheaper!!

I first thought “who would pay this much for so little” but then I realized I don’t run, so size of BIG ipod hasn’t been an issue for me.  The current ipod is still a little large for exercising.

Minipod will succeed in giving people who are brand conscious their “ipod” to exercise with, but will fail in being the entry level music player that many people hoped the minipod would be.

Posted by k-rock in USA on January 6, 2004 at 1:37 PM (CST)

are the buttons clicky or heat sensitive?

Posted by pauldini on January 6, 2004 at 1:42 PM (CST)

Don’t forget, this is the first one…. start off overpriced, then drop it in 3-6 months, and introduce a 6-8 gig at the same price point.

Posted by Flippersaurus on January 6, 2004 at 1:43 PM (CST)

Ok the battery life is the same(probably the same cheap battery as the 3G), The colors are to - -  well - - wimpy.  Not many of the old accessories are compatible(dock, iSkin cases)  The only good thing I see about it is the free USB 2.0 cable.

Posted by Adam on January 6, 2004 at 1:45 PM (CST)

Page 2 of 12 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›