Macworld: New Apple iPod mini announced
In the final part of his Keynote speech today at MWSF Steve Jobs related how the Apple had sold 730,000 iPods and had propelled Apple to over 2 million iPods sold in total. In Oct/Nov Apple had taken 31% of the entire market share of MP3 players, 55% share of revenue and it was now Number 1 in units and revenue.
He announced that the 10GB iPod would be replaced by a 15GB model selling at the same price of $299.
Also Apple has released a pair of In-ear headphones selling at $39 and they are available from today. (These look very similar to the Sony EX71SL’s)
Today Apple launch the second member of the iPod family - the iPod mini. This will have a
4GB HD storage capacity
Hold 1000 songs
0.5 inches thick
Size of a business card
It will use the same award winning interface as its big brother but will feature a new solid state “clickwheel” with function buttons moved under the wheel. The iPod mini Click Wheel gives you the enhanced durability and sensitivity of the iPod Touch Wheel. The Click Wheel takes best advantage of miniscule space and lets you scroll single handedly though your songs. Like its (slightly) bigger brother, iPod mini gives you over 25 minutes of skip protection and lasts up to 8 hours on a single battery charge.
It will use the familiar top controls of the 3G iPod and the Apple docking port on the base. It will come complete with a Firewire and USB cable, belt clip, Dock and armband.
The finish is anodised aluminum and a range of colours will be available -
These new iPods will start to ship in the US in February and Worldwide in April.
- iLounge reader creates all-wood iPod mini, accessories
- iPod mini still a popular choice
- Apple threatens Korean company over iPod knockoffs
- Report: Samsung woos Apple with cheap flash prices
- HP to sell iPod mini
- iPod mini price cut ‘bad news for the competition’
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- NFL Now channel comes to Apple TV
- New iPhone 6 schematic leak shows protruding camera lens
- Mercedes, Volvo delay CarPlay support until 2015
- iOS 8 beta suggests 1472x828 resolution, more icons for iPhone 6 Home Screen?
- Report: Apple releases iOS 8 beta 6 to testing partners
- Sprint announces Family Share Pack data plans
- Report: 5.5” iPhone 6 to use 2915 mAh battery
- Apple to debut reversible USB Lightning cable?
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Pako — Car Chase Simulator
- FLA cites Quanta for further Apple labor problems
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- Go Design TravelCard Charger
- OtterBox Agility Tablet System for iPad Air
- SwitchEasy B’Spoke for iPad Air
- Kero Products Nomad Cable Lightning
- Juno Labs Juno Power Junojumpr
- Zagg Rugged Folio for iPad Air
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today