Macworld: New Apple iPod mini announced | iLounge News

Macworld: New Apple iPod mini announced

picIn the final part of his Keynote speech today at MWSF Steve Jobs related how the Apple had sold 730,000 iPods and had propelled Apple to over 2 million iPods sold in total. In Oct/Nov Apple had taken 31% of the entire market share of MP3 players, 55% share of revenue and it was now Number 1 in units and revenue.

He announced that the 10GB iPod would be replaced by a 15GB model selling at the same price of $299.

Also Apple has released a pair of In-ear headphones selling at $39 and they are available from today. (These look very similar to the Sony EX71SL’s)

Today Apple launch the second member of the iPod family - the iPod mini. This will have a

• 4GB HD storage capacity

• Hold 1000 songs

• 0.5 inches thick

• Size of a business card

• Cost $249

It will use the same award winning interface as its big brother but will feature a new solid state “clickwheel” with function buttons moved under the wheel. The iPod mini Click Wheel gives you the enhanced durability and sensitivity of the iPod Touch Wheel. The Click Wheel takes best advantage of miniscule space and lets you scroll single handedly though your songs. Like its (slightly) bigger brother, iPod mini gives you over 25 minutes of skip protection and lasts up to 8 hours on a single battery charge.

It will use the familiar top controls of the 3G iPod and the Apple docking port on the base. It will come complete with a Firewire and USB cable, belt clip, Dock and armband.

The finish is anodised aluminum and a range of colours will be available -

• Silver

• Gold

• Blue

• Pink

• Green

These new iPods will start to ship in the US in February and Worldwide in April.

• « Apple’s 2004 Edition of 1984 Commercial

GarageBand - a pro-music tool for ever »

Comments

I think that these will sell good.
    There are alot of people that don’t need 15gb+ worth of music. iPod is starting to offer good accessories for digital picture and voice recording. Only some competitors have this and most are more expensive.

So if you want a smaller unit that propably wont scratch as bad and if it does should be able to buff it out. This will be a good unit for the normal non-techy user.

Posted by Brian on January 6, 2004 at 2:10 PM (CST)

Big mistake. I don’t think they’ve got the price right either. They’ve out priced themselves bigtime! It just doesn’t make sense. Should be $150 max. And the colours! Ming. Should’ve gone black as an option and changed the scroll wheel colour too. They’re like toys for little rich girls! “My little ipod” Might be nice in the flesh. Like the mini dock idea. Hmm… ipod mini looks like a lighter to me! Damn. It’s not quite there. Shame.

Posted by *sigh* disappointed on January 6, 2004 at 2:12 PM (CST)

I’d like to buy a couple for my kids, but I’ll wait and see if the price drops in a few months or so. Less than 200.00 would have been the way to market them.

Posted by revmike on January 6, 2004 at 2:12 PM (CST)

Well, well, well, what to say?
    OK size and colors but pricey for kids that want to look cool at school! The better deal is the 15GB model. The positive side is the weight and usb cable included.

I have just purchased the 20gb (3 weeks left for return policy) and was hoping that this unit would be cheaper (149-199$) so I could return mine and upgrade to the 40gb for cheaper (-100$).

Now I doubt that the prices will drop since there is no significant price difference and have the same features as 3G.

Will the original dock work with this new one?

Nick

Posted by Nick on January 6, 2004 at 2:13 PM (CST)

Seems like the sort of error made when a company’s optimistic design labs conflict with Apple’s insane profit margins. The iPod didn’t become much smaller or cheaper, gain any features, become a better value for the dollar, or appeal to any new market. (Unless you think there’s a big difference between the $249 and $299 electronics buyers, which I do not think there is.)

Who else thinks that the now “outdated” 10GB iPod is about to fall to the exact same price (while supplies last), and that those models will sell out quite quickly?

My girlfriend thinks that the new colors and armband feature are going to be major selling points for this one. I would see the Mini at best as the ultimate irrational impulse buy, one that no informed consumer would make given the competition (including older iPods). Bring on the iPod Pro and iPod AV, already, Apple.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz on January 6, 2004 at 2:15 PM (CST)

It looks only *ok* but not nearly as nice as the bigger iPod. I would only get the silver, the other colors are horrible.

The size is only *ok*... while I think it will seem MUCH smaller than the bigger iPod it really isn’t, although I think the belt clip design will help those wanting to carry this for exercise.

The price is OUTRAGEOUS. $50 less than a unit that has over 3 times more memory, looks much better, etc. is not going to fly…

If you *REALLY* want this product wait 6 months because you can be sure this product will revise the colors and drop in price to $199.

PS: Those of you who actually thought they could sell one of these at $99 based on the rumors were nuts… how do you provide a MP3 player with Apple good looks (not this is quite up to par), with a micro 2-4 gig HD, Firewire/USB2, an LCD, etc. for $99. PLEASE, what WERE YOU GUYS THINKING?

Posted by Dave on January 6, 2004 at 2:15 PM (CST)

Hey Chuck,

I still use my Blue Dalmatian iMac DV in the recording studio right alongside my dual-processor G4 ProTools rig.  Works great…and looks cool.  Runs Propellehead’s Reason like a charm.

BTW,  I would say they were more like spots than polka dots!

Posted by The Raven in USA on January 6, 2004 at 2:16 PM (CST)

Agreed…I hope someone from Apple is reading this. Yes, they are trying to compete with flash players…but really, once you get to the price point that the mini is going to g ofor, most folks will simply say “Sheesh…spend the extra fifty bux”....I hope the mini doesnt become the sacrificial lamb for bigger I Pods…

I think a Price Point of 199 or 225$ would be more realistic.

Posted by angry_black_man on January 6, 2004 at 2:19 PM (CST)

Looks kinda dated to me already.

Posted by cessil on January 6, 2004 at 2:20 PM (CST)

By the way, for those who think this thing will sell well at $249, consider Apple’s last “cool” design that divided popular opinion with a higher-than-expected price point - the Cube. I loved how it looked, but it didn’t sell well and disappeared rapidly despite some nice ideas and a really simple aesthetic.

Cheap crap always sells and premium luxury always sells. Compromise items, like the iPod mini (“cheap_er_” and not as luxurious, are a much harder sell. No matter how cool they look, limited capacity $249 MP3 players have had a hard time building userbases (Sony Network Walkmen, anyone?).

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz on January 6, 2004 at 2:24 PM (CST)

“I’m off to order a 20G IPod as I think that a lot of people will be doing the same after waiting for the BIG Speech.”

Maybe that’s the response they were shooting for?

Posted by Rengirl on January 6, 2004 at 2:26 PM (CST)

what will all the current retailers do with their stock of 3 g 10gb ipods that are currently sold for $299.00 US? meet the mini at $250.?
    I like the mini- but it’s not enough storage for the money.
    I’ll buy a new 15gb before I pick up this little baby.

Posted by Galo on January 6, 2004 at 2:27 PM (CST)

the new Mini iPod is not over priced. i don’t know why people keep
    saying that it is. compared to most other flash memory .mp3 players it
    is cheaper for the amount of storage you get.

and the new Rio 4GB is the same price, $250. and i’d rather have the
    Mini iPod. plus, i’m sure you will see it under $200. soon enough.

Posted by Mediahound on January 6, 2004 at 2:27 PM (CST)

I’m quite surprised by the reaction.  I though there would be an incredible reaction to a small player such as this.

I feel that at $250, it’s not a bargin as many have you have said.  At $150 to $200, it might just kill off the solid state and 1.5GB players but I also think that because of the agressive price relative to the current 256/512MB players, other companies have to follow and drop prices for their players.  I was pricing out some of the solidstate players last month and they were just way too expensive from a penny/MB stand point.  There is absolutely no reason why these MB players cost $250+ other than there was no serious competition in this class of MP3 portables.

The 4GB Rio Nitrus was recently (yesterday or today) announced: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040106/sftu015_1.html

The street price will also be at $250 though I bet it will sell at $199 online.  Now that would be an interesting since Apple has firm control of their hardware pricing.  I think I’ve only seen their iPods selling, at best, $5 below list.  That may make the Nitrus a lot more attractive.

Posted by Sammy on January 6, 2004 at 2:28 PM (CST)

the new Mini iPod is not over priced. i don’t know why people keep
    saying that it is. compared to most other flash memory .mp3 players it
    is cheaper for the amount of storage you get.

and the new Rio 4GB is the same price, $250. and i’d rather have the
    Mini iPod. plus, i’m sure you will see it under $200. soon enough.

Posted by Mediahound on January 6, 2004 at 2:29 PM (CST)

i think its because of the way round they made it. its not well proportioned lengthxwidth (in comparison to the oriPod), imagine it in landscape, that would actually look alright. perhaps some photoshop whizz cud render that…

Posted by silver_haze20 on January 6, 2004 at 2:32 PM (CST)

my ISDN line wouldn’t let me watch the stream to little bandwidth. I don’t really like the design but the armband is pretty cool. If you invert the colours though they look really sweet and the colours that I imagined then to release them as. I’d like to try the new headphones althoug hthey look like cheap rip offs off of sony, and there was Steve Jobs talking about origninality.

Posted by -i2i- on January 6, 2004 at 2:32 PM (CST)

I received a 10g 3gen iPod for Christmas.  I love the little thing…and I have to admit, knowing that I could now get a 15g for the same price, and also, that apple has apparently dropped the 10g completely, stings a bit.  The new mini iPods are not what I expected…I thought they would be a lot more smaller…and cheaper.

Posted by Lindz on January 6, 2004 at 2:38 PM (CST)

Why??? They discontinued my iPod!! NOO! I don’t get it either. People may still want 10 gigs of space. I feel left out now :(

Posted by Encrypt on January 6, 2004 at 2:40 PM (CST)

Ok.. My opinions..LOOKS way too ugly… too expensive…

I am really disappointed.

Posted by bababooey on January 6, 2004 at 2:40 PM (CST)

Page 4 of 12 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›