Macworld: TEN Technology Announces naviPlay Bluetooth remote control | iLounge News

Macworld: TEN Technology Announces naviPlay Bluetooth remote control

“The TEN naviPlay brings Bluetooth wireless CD-Audio quality stereo sound and remote control to the latest docking iPod models. iPod users no longer have to be tethered to their iPods with their headphone cord. The naviPlay includes a Bluetooth adapter that attaches to the iPod�s dock connector, and a BT headphone adapter that allows use of any stereo headphones or speakers with a standard 3.5mm stereo plug. The headphone adapter also has an LCD display and buttons for basic remote audio functions as well as playlist and menu navigation. Each adapter is powered by rechargeable lithium ion battery that provides approximately 8 hours of airtime. TEN plans to introduce additional BT-based products including stereo headphones, stereo speakers, and BT car stereo interfaces in the coming months. naviPlay will be available only for 3rd generation iPod models with Dock Connectors. TEN plans to begin shipping the naviPlay in Q1 2004. Pricing has not been finalized.”

« iPod mini features 4GB Hitachi drive

Alpine Announces Car Stereo w/iPod Display & Control »

Comments

If this is under $100, consider me a preorder.  This would be AWESOME.  If nothing else, it would mean that I wouldn’t have to worry about tangled cables in the gym (leave it in my bag, below my bench).

The rechargable batteries in the components are also key: by providing external power, they wont reduce playtime with the ipod.  My only hope is that they’re not too big: I want to still be able to drop the ipod into my pocket…of course I’d also like to be able to use my lajo exo with the ipod, while using the bluetooth adapter, but we’ll see.

Posted by Druid on January 6, 2004 at 8:54 PM (CST)

Yes! Now I can keep my preccciousss aways from the theivings weaselss of the world. No one needss to know I have preciouss inside of my knapsack.

Tom

Posted by Thomas Davie on January 6, 2004 at 9:17 PM (CST)

I’d like to see a bluetooth tape adaptor to really simplify things.

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on January 6, 2004 at 9:44 PM (CST)

I don’t get it. You have to plug your headphones into an adapter, and plug another adapter into your iPod. Hmmm. How ‘bout I just plug my headphones into my iPod? Oh wait, that makes sense, nevermind.

...Seriously, what are you going to do with your headphone cable that’s attached to the receiver? Stick it in your pocket. So you still are tethered to something. You had might as well be tethered to your iPod. I just don’t get it. Bluetooth headphones are one thing, but this ain’t it.

Posted by monkedsel on January 6, 2004 at 9:55 PM (CST)

I am having a bit of a problem with finding these bluetooth headphones.  My problem is with skiing, saran wrap around the controller sucks.  I would rather have some headphones with controllers on them.

Posted by indolering on January 6, 2004 at 10:05 PM (CST)

Now… because it’s just a Bluetooth connection… if I also have my cell phone’s Bluetooth on, then when my phone rings, and it’s ALSO in my bag somewhere, I just press a button on the headset to answer the phone, right?

If so, I’m sold.  If not, it’s a big disappointment.  I thought that was what Bluetooth was all about, not just another wireless thingie.  I mean, you may as well get an iTrip and some of those old school RadioShack earphones where the radio is built into the earpiece.  :D You’ll look like someone’s Grandpa, but you’ll save a boatload of money!

Posted by soopahgrover in NYC on January 6, 2004 at 11:05 PM (CST)

No, that won’t work, by default.  I wish there would be some feature that could do it, but not by default.  Then how would you separate signals?

Posted by indolering on January 6, 2004 at 11:09 PM (CST)

i dont see anything ANYWHERE that says it has bluetooth.  it says infrared.

Posted by wes on January 7, 2004 at 1:53 AM (CST)

The remote for the NaviPlay has an LCD display! I have been waiting for a long time for an LCD remote, and I didnt think the current iPods could support one, but this will be awesome.

Posted by mike on January 7, 2004 at 5:29 AM (CST)

Indolering, are you kidding?  The word bluetooth is all over the article…

And some of you are missing sometehing: the remote on the headphone side has an LCD display for control.

Posted by Driod on January 7, 2004 at 6:26 AM (CST)

I wonder, I really, really wonder whether bluetooth is able to handle a *constant* 320kbps. Anyway, this device could be most cool. I especially like the display, as without it the device would be rather useless. But just putting the iPod *anywhere* is a great thing. No more clipping it to the belt, no more stuffing it in the coat, no worries about it falling out… way nice.

I hope:
- It does not degrade sound in any way
- It allows several users to pair their receivers to one iPod
- It has the incoming call functionality soopahgrover mentioned.
- It can be recharged easily and doesn’t suck dry the iPod

In fact I will just drop a mail to TEN, and you others should as well. This is too cool to be done wrong.

Posted by Oliver :) on January 7, 2004 at 10:31 AM (CST)

Even if you have to be ‘tethered’ to the headphoen adapter rather than to the Ipod, hopefully the range will be sufficient such that at home you can wander all over your house. In any event, having a navigable adapter is nice.

The press release from the company also mentions developement of BT headphones, meaning headphones that will not have an adapter.

It’s a gadget I’ll probably pick up.

Tom

Posted by Thomas Davie on January 7, 2004 at 11:42 AM (CST)

mike(or anyone), please can you give me teh link of where it says it has lcd display?

Posted by silver_haze20 on January 7, 2004 at 3:29 PM (CST)

oh no, found it…SWEET!

Posted by silver_haze20 on January 7, 2004 at 3:30 PM (CST)

damn. Still nothing that can mount on a steering wheel. Come on, it’s been how long since the first ipod??? gimme a steering wheel mounted remote!

Posted by JC on January 7, 2004 at 4:19 PM (CST)

This product is missing one obvious feature.

It needs a line out on the adapter that attaches to the iPod. It could then double up as the first fully controllable LCD remote for the iPod, allowing me to lie on my couch while my ipod is attached to my amp. Too cool.

Posted by DMW on January 8, 2004 at 3:13 AM (CST)

“I’d like to see a bluetooth tape adaptor to really simplify things.”
That’s the beauty of it, you can plug anything into it that has a minijack :)

Posted by tyldis on January 8, 2004 at 3:56 AM (CST)

This is just what I need.

Except Bluetooth is *soo* expensive over here. Transmitter AND receiver? LCD and Li-Ion battery too?!*dies*

Too big of a luxury =/

Posted by Redux on January 19, 2004 at 4:04 AM (CST)

“Q: Will the naviPlay be compatible with Bluetooth enabled cellular phones?
A: The naviPlay Remote Adapter will work as a BT Headset with BT enabled cell phones. You will be able to answer calls as well as listen to your iPod with the naviPlay Remote Adapter.”

I think this answer’s someone’s question. =)

This looks like a -very- nice product. I hope the cost isn’t too bad.

Posted by NightHawk The Sane in Rochester, NY on February 1, 2004 at 12:21 PM (CST)