Macworld UK: ‘iTunes will drive switching’ - Anderson | iLounge News

Macworld UK: ‘iTunes will drive switching’ - Anderson

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, November 20, 2003
News Categories: iTunes

“Apple’s chief financial officer Fred Anderson pressed home the innovation at the heart of Apple’s strategy during a speech at Lehman Brothers Semiconductor and Computer conference yesterday.

With its market lead on competing music download services and its leading music product, the iPod, Anderson explained: ‘Many who experience buying songs from iTunes will go on and buy an iPod and maybe they will buy a Mac when they think about buying a second or third computer for the home.’”

« McDonald’s 1 Billion Song Promotion Confirmed?

Macworld UK: SuperBowl kickoff for iTunes/Pepsi offer »

Comments

I totally disagree with this.  I was thinking of switching just to use iTunes.  Now that I have it on windows, I have no reason to switch.

Posted by gshipley on November 20, 2003 at 11:59 AM (PDT)

I have to agree, I liked iTunes so much I checked out an iPod. Now I’m buying an iPod and if it’s as great as everyone makes it out to be, how can purchasing a mac be far behind? Granted the prices are still to high, so it may be a used G4, but I’ll give it a shot.

Posted by Brandon on November 20, 2003 at 12:14 PM (PDT)

I totally agree with this.  After using my ipod for a year now, and itunes since it came out for windows, I’ve been very pleased with apples products.  My windows pc is getting old, and I’ve already been thinking I would like to switch to apple when I finally drop the cash on a new computer…

Posted by SPM on November 20, 2003 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

Exactly what happened to me.

Got an iPod, liked it so much, I decided to take a look at Apple again (I’d switched from Mac to Windows several years ago). Liked the iBook so much (price was right, size was perfect, easy iPod synching was nice) that I switched.

I still have my Windows machines at home, but I use my iBook and iPod everywhere I go.

Go figure.

Posted by Dunfee on November 20, 2003 at 12:50 PM (PDT)

I’m having prolems with my PC right now.  The hardware & software makers are pointing their fingers at each other.

The beauty of hardware, OS, & software all made the same company suddenly seems so clear…

Posted by doh! on November 20, 2003 at 2:02 PM (PDT)

I have to agree. I think offering cross platform products like iPod/iTunes is going to attract more people across. Hope to see more great products from them.

Posted by mwidjaya on November 20, 2003 at 2:19 PM (PDT)

I like iTunes - it manages my Archos perfectly (via plug in) on my Mac.

But I don’t feel like going back to iPod given the current stale offerings.

ITunes is a double-edged sword. What happens when manufacturers bring out plugins for Windows iTunes to manage lots of music players? The iPod looks a lot less valuable then.

Posted by ichoon on November 20, 2003 at 3:10 PM (PDT)

Hey I fell hook line and sinker for mac. First the iPod then the G4 powerbook 12 inch and the G5 is not far away in the future. One thing with Apple high price= high quality I cant say the same thing for the rest of the industry.

Posted by C Edens on November 20, 2003 at 6:56 PM (PDT)

I backed into this the opposite way.  I wanted a laptop, and the powerbook was by far and away the best fit for my needs.  It works so well that I rarely use my PC anymore.

Naturally, when I decided to get an MP3 player, I went with the iPod - I made the right choice.

Posted by KB on November 20, 2003 at 8:02 PM (PDT)

I loved my iPod and when iTunes for windows came out I loved it just as much.  Now, I love my new iBook G4.  I use my iBook and can’t help thinking “this is how a computer is supposed to work”.  It’s incredibly easy and user friendly for non techies but also allows access to incredible development tools and ability to customize the OS through Apple Scripts or the Unix Terminal for super geeks.

Thanks to the iPod I am now a happy Mac user and can’t believe I was stuck using that other crap for so long.

Posted by BDB on November 21, 2003 at 5:48 AM (PDT)

I love my iPod but don’t see why owning one means I’m more likely to buy a Mac. My Win2K system is tuned just how I like it and I don’t need anything else.

Posted by lux on November 21, 2003 at 10:29 AM (PDT)