Macworld UK: Readers want iPod radio next | iLounge News

Macworld UK: Readers want iPod radio next

“The Macworld Online Poll asked: “What are the missing features” just days before Apple added support for a new Belkin voice-recording and photo-storage accessories to its dockable iPods.

Before the iPod update the most popular requested features were a radio with 36 per cent of the vote, and a voice recorder - selected by 20 per cent of readers. Following the update 37 per cent were still looking for radio, but the percentage of readers looking for a voice recorder (now provided) fell 8 percentage points to 12 per cent.”

« iTunes for Windows 4.1.1 Fixes Bugs

BusinessWeek: Everybody Wants A Piece Of The iPod »

Comments

If it’s not built in, an add-on radio is pretty lame.

Posted by tetro on October 22, 2003 at 9:38 AM (PDT)

there’s already one, made by the itrip peopoe

Posted by ti on October 22, 2003 at 10:22 AM (PDT)

Griffin makes the iFM.
I agree though for it to be appealing to most it would have to be built in. 4th gen ‘Pods are probably less than 6 months away. Who knows what we have coming down the pipe.

Posted by SpideyXP on October 22, 2003 at 11:02 AM (PDT)

when they refer to radio, are they talking about an AM/FM radio?  or the ability to transmit what is playing on your ipod to a radio (like the iTrip add-on does today)?

I personally have no ue for an AM/FM radio on my iPod - I alrady have 5000+ songs to listen to - who needs it?

some built-in iTrip functionality, on the other hand, would be a great new feature that I wouldn’t mind seeing…

Posted by murf on October 22, 2003 at 11:28 AM (PDT)

Honestly, what’s the use of an add-on radio, really? The only true advantage would be the use of the iPod’s built-in rechargeable battery. Unless Apple puts the functionality into the iPod, and enables control via the iPod’s own interface, you could just go out and buy a $5 radio from Radio Shack and get the same effect.
HOWEVER… if I could listen to the radio AND then record it on the iPod, that would be a differnt story. But that would probably make it even less likely to require a peripheral to work.

Posted by Bademeister on October 22, 2003 at 11:30 AM (PDT)

OK… the solution would be an integrated am/fm in the ipod.. not some external addon thing.. again who wants an ipod with tons of extra crap??

Before Hurricane Isabel I would of said.. that am/af is pointless in my 2000+ tracks of music but during the hurricane with no power it would of been great to have am/fm to know what was doign with the storm..

Posted by bababooey on October 22, 2003 at 12:49 PM (PDT)

Personally I still listen to the radio. Mostly Howard Stern, some sports radio and news programs. So there is a use it just may not apply to all.

Posted by SpideyXP on October 22, 2003 at 2:12 PM (PDT)

Ha ha you pod people crack me up. You are like buggy whip owners saysing “We have no use for those ugly internal combustion motor cars. Why, we havew the finest carriages and horses that money can buy!”

I have FM on my audio handheld, and video. Ever heard of Tivo? I can set my handheld to record shows off radio or broadcast TV, and then watch or discard them at my leisure. If I hear a song I like, I can “fingerprint” it from the radio recording, identify it on the internet, and download/buy it immediately. I never have to miss a show ever again.

Of course, my handheld cost me $600, but for the same low-end money as an iPod you can get a Lyra or Archos that does radio and TV reception and recording. For $300-$400 you can get something that makes your silly cute iPods look sick—just stick with the white goods look and the skins and the engraving and you’ll be fine, techno losers.

You people remind me of AOLers saying “hey, broadband? we don’t need no steeeking broadband”!

Posted by BuggyWhips on October 22, 2003 at 2:58 PM (PDT)

I’m sorry in between your iPod bashing (kind of a weird bash since I don;t know what point you are trying to make, iPod doesn’t do TV reception…..ok thanks for the news flash on my MP3 player) I didn’t catch the name of your all in wonder do everything handheld.

But I think your point about Tivo and not missing a broadcast was great and certainly appropiate given this is an iPod forum.

How do idiots find this site anyway? Is there a google for people who just want to make stupid comments completely off topic?

Posted by Nice Work on October 22, 2003 at 8:56 PM (PDT)

I don’t really think a radio is needed for the iPod… I can understand the use for it on flashbased players tough.

But if Apple adds radio functionality i don’t think you will be able to record, since then people would record music from the radio instead of buying it from the iTM. (If the quality is any good, anyway. I’ve never tried so i don’t know…)

Apple should concentrate on these things:

1. Battery life
2. LCD Remote (preferably wireless)
3. Improve and add functionality to the firmware.
4. Bigger harddrives

Posted by Deamer on October 23, 2003 at 3:29 AM (PDT)

A fully functional remote would be nice - I keep my ipod docked next to my tv and connected to my stereo in the living room.  It’d be nice to not have to get up and walk acorss the room…

Posted by SPM on October 23, 2003 at 12:13 PM (PDT)

I like how small my iPod is but I know that the output quality basically sucks next to my friend’s Zen. And I’ve compared using identical Grado cans.

Since the output quality has been a weak point of iPods since 1G, it seems like something Apple is stuck with. So what I’d like is a digital output, either coax (ala Archos) or optical (ala iRiver) so that I can get pristine quality out of my iPod and pass it into my amp.

Well, as pristine as the lossy compression of MP3s and AAC allows, anyway. And I don’t count AIFF because that just drains the battery far too quickly!

Posted by HiQualityOutput on October 23, 2003 at 2:04 PM (PDT)

I’m with Dreamer-all of that stuff would be preferable to a radio.The Tivo function would be nice,but that’s not why I bought the Ipod.It does what I want it to without a lot of extraneous crap to contend with.
What would be nice is a feature that would allow you maintain playlists or pick up where the random repeat option leaves off whenever the battery is recharged. Right now,that is my biggest quibble with Ipod.

Posted by Christianicononev.2 on October 28, 2003 at 5:30 AM (PDT)