Macworld: XtremeMac Xtremity iPod Accessory System now shipping | iLounge News

Macworld: XtremeMac Xtremity iPod Accessory System now shipping

The Xtremity system features the Xtremity iPod Case, Xtremity ClearShield - removable, optically- clear Lexan flex-cover, Xtremity Low-profile Dash-Mount, Xtremity Swivel Belt-clip, dock connector dust plug and adhesive adjustment pad - used with thinner iPods. “The foundation of the Xtremity system is the Xtremity iPod Case, designed to be a natural extension of the iPod. It forms the basis for seamless integration with a number of add on accessories such as battery packs, FM transmitters, Bluetooth Wireless Transmitters, belt- clips, dash mounts and more. All of the add-ons simply slide in place on the back of the Xtremity case and “disappear” behind the iPod, maintaining its elegant design.” The Xtremity system package includes Xtremity Case with Removable Flip Cover, Xtremity Dash Mount and Xtremity Belt Clip for $29.95.

« iTunes DRM Cracked, Again

Macworld: XtremeMac Demonstrates iPod with Bluetooth streaming audio »

Comments

Looks versitile, but whilst the case boasts a protective clear cover with no holes, the top corners of the Ipod remain totally exposed.  This, in my opinion, seems a little remiss since damage may occur to the Ipod if, like my Ipod, it is carried in a bag when not in use.  I would like to see the Ipod TOTALLY wrapped before I would purcahse this case.

Posted by YYWWVV on January 6, 2004 at 7:26 AM (PDT)

I want bluetooth, but this looks clunky.  I kind of expected something looking more akin to Griffin accessories such as the iTrip.

Posted by gilatrout on January 6, 2004 at 9:27 AM (PDT)

i ouht it and tried for several days. first the front cover is cheap, hard to use, and in my case, it scratched my ipod! second, the entire box while looking sleek, is not as nice and comfortable as the regular leather xtrememac case. so i switched back. geat company, but this item is less than perfect.

Posted by Vitaly Citovsky on January 6, 2004 at 10:33 AM (PDT)

Yeah I got one of these.  I’m using mainly for it’s car mount feature and works great.  NOTE THAT BELKIN CAR CHARGER WILL NOT FIT INTO THE PORT AT THE BOTTOM WITHOUT MODIFICATION.  Thank god for Dremmel.

Posted by mr_bodhisattva on January 6, 2004 at 10:39 AM (PDT)

I just got it in the mail.  It sucks.  The plastic cover is cheap and feels like it will break any time.  The rubber top is weak and flimsy, and seems like it will tear in a few weeks.  But most importantly, the cover scratched my iPod!  Some protection…

The car mount feature is nifty, though.

A few tweaks and it could be a really good item.  But for now, it gets a BLEH from me.

Posted by salmonjunkie on January 6, 2004 at 2:33 PM (PDT)

OK so it looks like the dash mount is the winner.  any other dash mounts avaiable without the rest of what appears to be a bad case?

Posted by Daddo on January 6, 2004 at 4:59 PM (PDT)

everything about xtrememac stinks, including thier new case. every call them with a problem? its even worse

Posted by malcame on January 6, 2004 at 7:06 PM (PDT)

I’ll have to agree with everyone - it look pretty nice, but I don’t care for the plastic cover and I have noticed that my iPod is scratched…could it be the plastic cover causing the scratches?

It was not scratched before I started using the case…

The plastic cover is a real pain to use.  Also, I have a 20 Gig and I have to use an adapter - which makes it the thickness of the 40 Gig.  I like the thinner iPod - I think the case is going to go on ebay!

Posted by Chris K. Rogers in Charleston, SC, USA on January 10, 2004 at 4:09 PM (PDT)

I love this case. I hear the criticism, but I think it is well made, has a generally great design, and the modular clip/dash interface is very slick. The rubberized strips on the case add all the grip that the iPod is missing, without being a jelly sleeve that acts like a chewing gum wad in attracting lint and dirt.

It is a slim case—but it is plastic, so it adds a bit to the overall size of the naked pod, of course, but it is still a nice small package. It also does leave the top corners exposed, but if it didn’t, you’d never get your iPod out without some kind of ejector mechanism. There are rubber strips that line the inside and outside of the case, which provide just enough gentle friction with the iPod to GRIP it snug inside the case, it will never fall out! I like this feature. You also need to remove the cover in order to get enough grip on the iPod to get it out. I try leave my ‘Pod in the case and don’t sweat it. Being able to go from belt/headphones to dash/iTrip in three quick steps is great: unplug & unclip, slip of the cover & insert the iTrip, slip on the dash mount—DONE. I put the cover in my shirt pocket.

Detractors:
1. The dock port at the bottom is just big enough for the Apple dock connector, so my new PocketDock does not fit.

2. I have a Griffin iTrip and it will not work with the cover closed due to the thickness of the rubber hinge on the cover.

These things are slight annoyances, BUT there is one seriously fatal flaw:

3. the interface between the cover and the iPod. If you or a friend opens the cover and it *slides* at all, instead of pivoting open, it will scratch the hell out of the screen at the top edge. Extreme Mac—You’ve GOT to fix this, and the Xtremity case would be nearly perfect.

I fixed mine: http://homepage.mac.com/bsb/PhotoAlbum85.html

For what it’s worth, I give the case 3.5 out of 5. I think it was a good investment.

Posted by Brian B in Colorado on January 14, 2004 at 4:44 AM (PDT)

go to [url=http://www.xtrememac.com]http://www.xtrememac.com..[/url]  all of thier items iether are not shipping or never will… what a loser group

Posted by grubtub on February 15, 2004 at 7:13 PM (PDT)

Just sent Xtrememac a comment on the scratches my iPod suffered as a result of this case, they offered to send me their redesigned lid when it ships, as well as a tube of ice creme polish.

And the response was within one hour of sending my original note.

Posted by d on February 18, 2004 at 8:45 AM (PDT)

THE ORIGINAL XTREMITY CASE WILL SCRATCH YOUR IPOD.  They have apparently redesigned it, and will be shipping it later this month.  It’s really disappointing, though… I spent a lot of money on this ipod, and it looks pretty ugly now.

Posted by Lori on March 17, 2004 at 8:30 AM (PDT)

This case sucks my sagging granny boobies.  My gay husband stuck it up my grandson’s butt and it broke!!!!  Can you believe that?  What a rip-off.  And it didn’t protect my i-poop either.  Will I be taking it back to the store?  YEAH PROBABLY!

Posted by GrandDebi on December 9, 2004 at 7:52 AM (PDT)

this case is no good It scratched my Ipod too… it made me very sad

Posted by rant and rave on April 3, 2005 at 9:25 PM (PDT)