Magnatune music download service dances to a different tune | iLounge News

Magnatune music download service dances to a different tune

“Magnatune is a record label, but don’t let that make you wince; as the company’s motto says, they are not evil, and they mean it. Take a look in the ‘Information’ menu on the Magnatune site and browse the essay on why Magnatune owner John Buckman created the site, and check out his business model and other topics of interest. Once you’re done reading, go check out some of the music.

Again, what you’ll find is something completely different: The music is unique and high quality. The Magnatune business model is similar to shareware, and artists get 50% of the proceeds from each sale from the company’s Web site. While its library of music is relatively small, it contains such a uniquely eclectic collection of albums and artists that nearly everyone is bound to find something he or she likes.”

« Kazaa raided by ARIA

iPods and iSkins at the 2004 Grammy Awards »

Comments

Why didn’t iPodlounge use some of Magnatunes press photos:

Magnatune

Posted by Jimmy Ipod on February 6, 2004 at 9:34 AM (PDT)

Did you look at those photos?

Posted by NVS on February 6, 2004 at 9:40 AM (PDT)

“Music licensing with Magnatune is 100% automated and on-line, with no tedious negotiating. In a few minutes, you’ll have a CD-Quality WAV file of the music you need, and a valid legal agreement for your project.”

WAV? Got to be kidding me.

The sound quality is great but the quality of their music (at least in the rock genre) wasn’t so hot.

Posted by kainjow on February 6, 2004 at 9:56 AM (PDT)

I couldn’t get anything to play.  Everytime I clicked on a link (I am using Windows XP) I would get nothing.  Is this a Mac only site?

Posted by Scott on February 6, 2004 at 11:04 AM (PDT)

Scott, you probably need to install WinAMP.

I liked their stuff, electronica section had some interesting artists. I wish they had about 100-200 times more artists.

BTW, try bleep.com seems like a “non-evil” label as well, DRM-free MP3 at 320kBps VBR (avg 200kbps). emusic is also all right, but they should charge per song/album instead of the limited download monthly fee.

Notice that all of these stores are better than iTunes in terms of quality and right managment. Selection-wise they all lack thou.

Posted by pbox on February 6, 2004 at 11:32 AM (PDT)

Don’t forget allofmp3.com

Posted by Andy on February 6, 2004 at 1:32 PM (PDT)

Admirable intentions, though more time seems to be spent promoting the label than the artists.

Posted by Albert on February 6, 2004 at 3:01 PM (PDT)

I think this is very good site with some very unique collection (atleast I found something in World Music which is not available in market). Definately will buy from them. I was able to play music directly into iTunes, all track files are in .m3u format and it works fine in iTunes (Windows XP Professional).

Posted by Mehul Joshi on February 6, 2004 at 5:57 PM (PDT)

I went to their sight.  It’s a great concept…where I think the music industry should go. (Win/Win for artists and consumers.)  I truely hope they’re successful.  They had some nice jazz and I’m considering buying some other stuff as well.  In terms on promoting the brand, I think the reason they’re doing this is to get traffic on the site…that’s the key to the artists getting exposure as well.

Posted by sarrett on February 7, 2004 at 3:53 PM (PDT)

Hey Mehul,

Where you able to preview the tracks in iTunes?  If so, how did you make this happen.  I don’t mind downloading WinAmp as was suggested, but now that I notcie your post I am wondering how make it preview from within iTunes.

Posted by Scott on February 7, 2004 at 4:07 PM (PDT)

BTW, you might be interested in knowing that the founder of Magnatune, John Buckman, has a new blog at http://blogs.magnatune.com/buckman/

Posted by Christopher Allen on March 8, 2004 at 3:13 PM (PDT)