Major labels plan new album format without Apple
The four largest music labels—Universal, Sony, Warner, and EMI—are reportedly planning a new digital album format called CMX. The Times reports that the new format will offers customers a digital version of the sleeve notes that accompany a physical album, including lyrics and artwork, as well as videos. According to the report, the labels approached Apple about the new bundle format around 18 months ago, but were turned down; Apple is reportedly working on a format of its own, code-named “Cocktail,” which is expected to launch in the next two months.
One senior record label insider told the Times, “Apple at first told us that they were not interested, but now they have decided to do their own, in case ours catches on. Ours will be a file that you click on, it opens and it would have a totally brand-new look, with a launch page and all the different options. When you click on it you’re not just going to get the ten tracks, you’re going to get the artwork, the video and mobile products.” CMX-formatted albums are expected to be rolled out slowly, with only a few releases available at first. “We are not going out in force,” the label source said. “What you are going to see is a couple of releases thrown out there to see what people like. We are working with the retailers now.”
- Apple in talks to acquire Pinterest rival The Fancy?
- Google intros Nexus 7, Nexus Q as iPad, Apple TV rivals
- Samsung releases app to ease iOS to Galaxy transition
- Apple, Time reach agreement on magazine sales
- Microsoft unveils Xbox SmartGlass; links console to iPad, iPhone
- New HTC handsets face import delay due to Apple
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Report reveals additional details on Apple and BMW talks
- Report: New Apple TV to debut in September, subscription service to come later
- Apple releases second iOS 8.4.1 beta to developers
- Volkswagen adds CarPlay to 2016 lineup
- AT&T wants $100M data throttling fine thrown out
- Apple Music added to T-Mobile’s Music Freedom
- Report: Apple Music hits 10M subscribers
- Apple Maps vans landing in France, Sweden in August
- Report: Slimmer iPad mini 4 on the way, upgraded iPad Air 3 a possibility
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX
- Zivix Jamstik+ MIDI Guitar Controller
- Ulak Lumenair for iPhone 6
- Apple iPod touch (Sixth-Generation)
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?