Major labels want to raise the price of online music | iLounge News

Major labels want to raise the price of online music

“All five of the major music companies are discussing ways to boost the price of single-song downloads on hot releases - to anywhere from $1.25 to as much as $2.49. It isn’t clear how or when such a price hike would take place, and it could still be months away. Sales of such singles - prices have remained at 99 cents - still account for the majority of online music sales.

The industry is also mulling other ways to charge more for online singles. One option under consideration is bundling hit songs with less-desirable tracks. Another possibility is charging more for a single track if it is available online before the broader release of the entire album from which it is taken. There is also talk of lowering the price on some individual tracks from older albums.”

« Lajo releases exoflpmini case

iPodMods offers new iPod modifications »

Comments

First the record companies accuse us of robbing them of their music , so we go legal then they rob us. now I am p****ed off so I will tell you of another way to get your mp3s they are on Ebay you bid for about 5 DVD discs packed full about 25GB and its quicker than downloading online.

Posted by dean on April 9, 2004 at 8:55 AM (CDT)

Here are some legal (in Russia!) MP3 download sites - most flat fee, mp3s for pennies:

allofmp3.com

This site is locally legit and songs can be downloaded for as little as $0.01 per MB. That’s around 3 cents per song.

DELit

Unusual emphasis on hard rock and metal acts (east European and Russian youth apparently worship metal acts)

3MP3.ru

$4.55 per month for unlimited downloads.

And you are not stuck with the typical iTMS low-quality 128Kbit file. Most of the Russian sites let you choose your quality and give you the option to do “online encoding” where you can select the settings you want. When the pop up screen shows up you can hit switch to advanced mode toward the bottom and choose encoding options.

For some of these, you can choose Ogg/MP3/AAC format, and then specify your desired quality/bitrate. This blows away iTunes and Napster which limit you to low-quality low-bitrate files.

If you enjoy these services, 3MP3 should be your first stop to see if you can find what you are looking for at the lowest price. Then I’d move to allofmp3, followed by clubmp3.ru, and then DELit.

Posted by Russian MP3s on April 9, 2004 at 9:30 AM (CDT)

Screw the RIAA.

Try this place: http://www.cdbaby.com/

Independent artists.  Maybe you’ll discover something you’ll like instead of being force-fed the crap the major labels put out.

Posted by ironchefmike in Boston, MA USA on April 9, 2004 at 10:12 AM (CDT)

RIAA and their ilk—in collaboration with iTunes, Napster and the rest—will never learn.
I’ve got 20,000 tunes on my computer and I’m not done ripping my CD collection. Fewer than 100 tunes come from iTunes/Musicmatch/buymusic. A couple of thousand or so come from eMusic. None—till now—come from illegal sources.

Long way of saying: If I never buy another DL’d or physical CD, I’ll never run out of music. Hear that, RIAA? I don’t need YOU. I’ll be damned if I pay more online than at my favorite store.

Vote with you wallets, people. Enough is enough.

Posted by elgibby on April 9, 2004 at 10:48 AM (CDT)

Friends don’t let friends buy music

Posted by kber on April 9, 2004 at 10:54 AM (CDT)

I think the RIAA needs to write a book…

“How not to win friends and influence people: the RIAA way”

I’ve purchased over 1200 songs using iTMS. I think the idea is great. Am I going to pay more than .99 a song? Absolutly not! It will be back to KaZaa and BitTorrent for me!

Posted by Dave on April 9, 2004 at 10:58 AM (CDT)

kber there is a difference between record companies trying to screw people and the artists who produce music never getting paid for their work. Come on. You gonna start working for free?

Posted by Biff on April 9, 2004 at 11:06 AM (CDT)

Haven’t these idiots learned?

This kind of greed is what got you into trouble in the first place.

Morons.

Posted by Spencer Callaghan on April 9, 2004 at 11:18 AM (CDT)

and if they raise music in stores also, i WILL go back to downloading illegally. don’t believe me, then try me RIAA.

Posted by Peter on April 9, 2004 at 11:32 AM (CDT)

to all the comments addressed to the riaa, i highly doubt any of them are ipodlounge frequents.

Posted by lll on April 9, 2004 at 1:04 PM (CDT)

Obviously I don’t agree with the proposed hike but I gotta say - all you people trying to use this as justification to obtain your music for free are nothing more than THIEVES.

There are many things I would like in life but cannot afford, but equally I don’t go out there and steal them.

If you can’t afford it or don’t like the prices - get a radio.

Posted by bobsyerunkle on April 9, 2004 at 2:42 PM (CDT)

IDIOTS!!! they see that something like downloading music for a reasonable price is working well, then they go and bugger it up by increasing the prices. How about try to increase the volume of sales in stead of the prices.

Posted by Billy Sardar on April 9, 2004 at 4:01 PM (CDT)

If the hot new Usher or Britney Spears tune is ‘worth’ $2.50..then will they lower the cost of the older songs? Can I get an old Bon Jovi tune from 1987 for .50 then?

Yeah,sure.

Bastards.

I was all set to delete winmx and go itunes 100% all the time (i’m currently buying my music 97% of the time,I only use p2p when itunes does not offer the song I want).

fuck that now. Forget greed…the big sin here is pure stupidity.

Posted by Pj on April 9, 2004 at 5:25 PM (CDT)

Are they trying to increase illegal downloads? They must like getting their money through settlements instead of selling quality.

They need to raise the standard, not the price. How bout an album with more than one good song on it. Oh well, this should only affect the pop crowd anyway. More power to independents.

I wouldn’t worry, they can’t do any price fixing.

Posted by Wolf on April 9, 2004 at 5:38 PM (CDT)

Sigh.  What do you expect the music industry tried to stop the sale of used CDs back in the day.  Since the ITMS opened I’ve stopped downloading songs from P2P networks and started buying tracks.  I’ve spent well over $300 on music there, and I spent more then that on CDs in the stores.

I figured I’d give iTunes the help because say what you will it’s the best we’ve got. We do have to pay for music at some level, because otherwise theirs no industry.  Sure maybe the industry is screwed up beyond all repair right now, but artists deserve to be paid.

It’s not the Backstreet Boys and Miss Spears types that get hurt most by the stealing of music it’s the artists who live closer to the edge of poverty.  It’s the artists the labels won’t sign anymore because they’re so concerned with P2P downloading they feel its safe to put money in the big pop hits, and have cut back on artist development.

So I want to pay for music, but they’re unfortunately going to kill off any chance the pay-per-song downloading market had.  Sadly too this will leave Apple with pie on its face for spending a lot of time, money and promotional power on the ITMS only to have the big labels kill it before it had a chance.

If I were Apple, though I’m obviously not, I would say to the labels, “Look if you do this now we’re out of this and you can go back to the mess you were in before.”

I hope Apple has the guts to walk away if this goes through because if they go along with it and start charging upwards of $2 a song then it’s just going to reinforce the notion that Apple overcharges for stuff and feed into all the crap that PC users have that Apple products are too expensive.

“Oh don’t buy anything from Apple.  They charge way more for computers, and their MP3 players are more expensive.  They even charge $2.50 for songs on their music store.”

Posted by Jeffery Simpson on April 9, 2004 at 9:24 PM (CDT)

Re the Russian MP3 advert, in the posts, after taking a look at the site do you really think it’s a legitimate downloading site, I think not just some russian mobster pirates charging you to download from their servers. Also would you give your credit card details online to them, think again.

The record industry doesn’t seem to have a clue and it doesn’t like online downloading illegal or legal unless it’s in charge of it. They’ll continue gouging the public and the public will continue p2p despite the riaa.

Someone’s got to break the old business model for the industry and just go for it.  Howeever the answer lies with the artist’s and not with the suits at the record company. The artist has it in his power to do everything the record company can do and at the same time retain control of his/her recordings.

Posted by glad1959 on April 9, 2004 at 10:43 PM (CDT)

Jeffery Simpson - well said.

Posted by bobsyerunkle on April 10, 2004 at 12:31 AM (CDT)

And they wonder why people “steal” their music. If this happens, I hope people take and take and drive these b a s t a r d s into bankruptcy finally.

Posted by Ron G. on April 10, 2004 at 6:00 PM (CDT)

The Music industry has yet to realize that 99 cents is more expensive than zero cents, the fact that i or anyone else is willing to buy songs at 99cents each is saying something about honoring a commitment to legaiity or buying an artists music, by subscribing to services such as Itunes music store we are doing that, however greed is the doom factor, if the Music industry and the RIAA think they have the right to raise the prices of songs to 1.25 then go ahead, thank god. I will just say hello to free music again and instead of saving me a 1.25 or more a song it will be free. Let the RIAA and the Music industry raise their prices, courts will start defending the consumers who steal music citing corporate greed and malpractice, let them. The RIAA and the Music Industry need to realize there is only so far a customer is willing to go and the fact that i am now willing to buy music for 99cents a song and doing so is one thing, trying to get more money from me, thats greed and stupidity, because in the end i will get my music, whether at 99 cents or less per song, or for Free

Posted by Matt Popkin on April 10, 2004 at 6:25 PM (CDT)

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

Just stop buying or downloading music altogether. They can’t force us to take it.

Besides, ain’t nothing like that old-time rock ‘n roll… Forget the new stuff.

Posted by i play lacrosse on April 10, 2004 at 8:58 PM (CDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >