Major labels want to raise the price of online music | iLounge News

Major labels want to raise the price of online music

“All five of the major music companies are discussing ways to boost the price of single-song downloads on hot releases - to anywhere from $1.25 to as much as $2.49. It isn’t clear how or when such a price hike would take place, and it could still be months away. Sales of such singles - prices have remained at 99 cents - still account for the majority of online music sales.

The industry is also mulling other ways to charge more for online singles. One option under consideration is bundling hit songs with less-desirable tracks. Another possibility is charging more for a single track if it is available online before the broader release of the entire album from which it is taken. There is also talk of lowering the price on some individual tracks from older albums.”

« Lajo releases exoflpmini case

iPodMods offers new iPod modifications »

Comments

Whoever originally said “two wrongs don’t make a right” was a frigging idiot. And lacrosse is gay. The new stuff rocks, you out-of-touch loser.

Posted by Ron G. on April 10, 2004 at 6:07 PM (PDT)

Hmmm.  All of the music I listen to is actually GOOD, and the labels it comes out on are certainly NOT represented by the RIAA.  Maybe a couple of exceptions.

Instead of getting in a hizzy over this, why not expand your musical interests and look into stuff that is actually WORTH a crap?  I doubt that those smaller labels will get equally as insane as the RIAA corporate scumbags.  Real musicians do it for the love of the music, not love of cash money.

Posted by Nicky G on April 10, 2004 at 8:45 PM (PDT)

if the poster is trying to convince that the russian site is legal, then I am Vladimir Putin (russian prez). Just a bunch of russina gangster types charging for their illegal downloads, would you give em your credit card details?

Posted by glad1959 on April 10, 2004 at 10:13 PM (PDT)

mmm…

just for thinkin bout raising prices…..went straight to bittorrent and STOLE 18 full albums.  act on raising prices….im’a steal music from here on out

Posted by bubba ray on April 11, 2004 at 12:25 PM (PDT)

Good for you, Bubba Ray. I say we need more people like you. Eventually these RIAA c-s u c k e r s WILL learn their lesson. They cannot beat everyone.

Posted by Ron G. on April 11, 2004 at 10:29 PM (PDT)

Back to downloading for free. Thank God I live in canada and cant be charged. GO LEAFS GO!!!

Posted by WOLF MAN on April 12, 2004 at 5:58 AM (PDT)

I still buy my music on vinyl. This news won’t change that. I tend to p2p music and then use that to guide my vinyl purchases - and vinyl has always been expensive.
An average of 5 quid for a single anyone?

Posted by Chris Matchett on April 12, 2004 at 11:11 AM (PDT)

I find it amusing…I bought my iPod to load my music library on (80% of which are ripped CD’s that I actually own), and started playing around with iTunes.  Decent software, I figure.

Then I win a free song from ye olde Pepsi giveway, grab an iTunes exclusive track, and discover I actually enjoy being able to choose individual songs to download legally.  I’ve since spent a little chunk of change on iTunes, and actually felt kinda good about not…well, breaking the law and all.

I decided that, while the .99 per song price point still seemed a smidge high, being able to buy music a la carte was worth it.

So then they start talking about raising the price.

These guys must not have actually attended any economics or business classes.  Just as 99 cent downloads are catching on (due, I’m guessing, in no small part to the psychological appeal of the 99 cent price point) they figure they can crank the price up.  So you get a group of people who are just starting to embrace the idea of paying to download music, EVEN THOUGH THERE IS A (albeit illegal) FREE ALTERNATIVE, and you tell them to go screw themselves.

Brilliant idea.  Should prices raise, even to 1.01, I will be gone.  Back to the world of illegal downloading.  And at that point they will have to come down a lot lower than .99 to get me back.

Posted by Carl on April 12, 2004 at 2:52 PM (PDT)

Biff, the artists don’t get paid much from CDs anyway.

The label starts out giving a large loan to the artist.

By the time a label is produced and out, the artist is in great debt to the label - from the production costs and from the loan.

So most CD sales are going not to the artist but to the label, to pay the label back for the cost of production.

Posted by alison on April 16, 2004 at 7:15 AM (PDT)

Page 4 of 4 pages « First  <  2 3 4