Make your own Pirate Radio Station with an iPod | iLounge News

Make your own Pirate Radio Station with an iPod

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, June 15, 2004
News Categories: iPod

“After playing around with the new iTrip mini, the FM broadcasting accessory for the iPod, our little minds got working on some ideas. We thought we might be able to make the range of Griffin’s iTrip mini a little better if we took it apart and exposed the antenna, turns out we could. And then we thought, hey- we could use a couple iPods to broadcast something we wanted to get out there, perhaps not ?‘should’? that is, but could.”

« Teski releases clear cover for roadie case

AOL announces iTunes Europe alliance »

Comments

kool
this could be fun
maybe some one could find a way to do a live broadcast via itrip and italk???

that would be cool

Posted by BIGP in Texas on June 15, 2004 at 8:02 AM (PDT)

or you could just build a mini TX thats more than .5mWatt but that would be clever wouldnt it

Posted by I3en on June 15, 2004 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

Been there done that and it as fun.

I was in BestBuy and some meathead had the car stereo’s blasting out something.  So a casually squelched him out with a twist of my iPod’s dial

Posted by Gilatrout on June 15, 2004 at 8:58 AM (PDT)

This sounds like a lot of fun, he he, he…

Me need to get iTrip.

Posted by Z on June 15, 2004 at 1:59 PM (PDT)

Posted by Insulcomicdog on June 15, 2004 at 3:53 PM (PDT)

???? you guys actually buy this crap. The itrips don’t work two feet away from a car antenna, you think they’re gonna work for the next car over?

Posted by pigpen65 on June 15, 2004 at 4:02 PM (PDT)

i think i could convert my car antenna into something that could broadcast, and not stand out, but pigpen65 is right without some extra juice, the iTrip alone wouldn’t work…...I might be inspired

Posted by jwc110869 in Rochester, NY on June 15, 2004 at 5:00 PM (PDT)

“Um…the only way to could take over someone else’s radio is if they were listening to an empty frequency….Which would be when?!???? If the frequency is occupied, there’s no way the iTrip would have enough juice to “Squelch”....Even if u held the pod right up against the guy’s car antennae…..”

This makes sense if your comment suggests that the iTrip wouldn’t work in this way because it would be competing with the big radio antennas, but then why would someone write a “How To” article about doing those things and why would people post comments about doing those things if it’s a crock of crap?  If these things cannot be done, then are these people retarded?

And why would IpodLounge be hosting these articles if they’re a bunch of crap?  That would contribute to loss of credibility to this site over time.  Credibility is earned through honest journalism, not lies.

And because I believe in honesty, I don’t get it.

Posted by Z on June 15, 2004 at 6:46 PM (PDT)

Z, I think that comment is pretty naive.  Conjecture and unsupported claims are nothing new.  Why decry people who are just questioning assertions that have no proof?
If these people truly have come up with what the claim, then they will have no problem posting proof of it online.

-A

Posted by A on June 15, 2004 at 6:58 PM (PDT)

What more proof can they post online? It’s not something that lends itself well to pictures, perhaps an mp3 of it happening, but that’s a pain at best. They’ve posted a how to, which is about as much as they can do, short of coming to your house and demonstrating it themselves.

Posted by NightHawk The Sane in Rochester, NY on June 15, 2004 at 8:48 PM (PDT)

With about 500W out of a directional antenna, you can overload someone’s car audio system pretty easily. Of course, using that much power could get you in trouble with the FCC, but actually getting caught is unlikely. And it’s certainly fun, tuning around with a white noise generator until you get close enough to the station they’re listening to, then switching to something thouroughly embarassing. Watching a large truck full of 25-year-old ex-high-school-jock types blasting Geri Haliwell’s cover of ‘It’s Raining Men’ is priceless. Never before have I seen such expressions of terror.

Posted by Evil Timmy on June 15, 2004 at 9:35 PM (PDT)

for all those who think its not possible to broadcast an iTrip over an occupied station, you are wrong. Just last month i was on a school excursion in a bus. The driver was listening to a really bad station, so my friend and i decided to have a little play around with the iTrip. Anyway, once we found out which station he was on, we were easily able to overpower the other radio station, and more amazingly, the audio quality was acceptable.

Posted by Richie E in Australia on June 15, 2004 at 10:48 PM (PDT)

okay, okay. look.. i’m in the uk and the biggest radio station we have there is radio 1 put out by the great and powerful bbc. i was in my room about 5 feet away from my radio tuner and i transmitted successfully over radio 1’s signal. it wasn’t very clear but you could definately hear my music instead of theirs. So in my opinion, you can pirate radio over an active frequency. maybe that’s not the case in the u.s but i’m using the same itrip so the fault may lie with u.s. radio transmitters or frequencies??? It would be fun to do this here but under certain circumstances only where you wouldn’t get caught - it is illegal to use an itrip here.

Posted by gainsbourg on June 16, 2004 at 1:55 AM (PDT)

“for all those who think its not possible to broadcast an iTrip over an occupied station, you are wrong”

——-

And he is right! smile

My wife and I were driving back from our wedding/honeymoon in separate vehicles. I called her cell and told her to tune into 88.1, which at the time had some country music playing. As long as I stayed within four or five car lengths of her, she could hear my iPod over the other station.

Oh, this wasn’t with an iTrip. I was using the Belkin TuneCast II Mobile FM Transmitter instead. Even so, my point is still valid; you CAN transmit over an occupied station.

Posted by Rich in Rhode Island, USA on June 16, 2004 at 5:04 AM (PDT)

Of course the bottom line here is, I’ll buy an iTrip and try it.  Then I’ll know.

The End.

Posted by Z on June 16, 2004 at 6:06 PM (PDT)

Anybody want to try this antenna booster?

Posted by That's Mr. to you on June 16, 2004 at 7:45 PM (PDT)

does this work for the 3rd gen version iTrip? and how do you get the 3rd gen version iTrip open?

Posted by todd2fst4u on June 17, 2004 at 5:20 PM (PDT)

I have been using my iTrip for at least 6 months now and I have just come into some problems with my device. I am only broadcasting my right hand speakers and the quality keeps going in and out as if it’s losing the frequency.

Anyone else have this problem? Maybe a fix??

(I have already tried restarting and re-tuning into my favorite empty frequency but to no avail!

Posted by TylerNMarla in United States on October 7, 2004 at 7:59 AM (PDT)

Im sorry but, after reading all those comments about the strength of the iTrip antenna, it does say in the atricle “We thought we might be able to make the range of Griffin’s iTrip mini a little better if we took it apart and exposed the antenna, turns out we could.” So what the author is saying is that you need to modify the antenna. NExt time, read the ENTIRE article.

Posted by Cheswick on June 24, 2010 at 6:15 PM (PDT)