Marware announces iPod mini SportSuit Sleeve | iLounge News

Marware announces iPod mini SportSuit Sleeve

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, January 14, 2004
News Categories: iPod mini

picWhile at Macworld, I was fortunate enough to witness the birth of a new iPod mini case by Marware. Soon after the Keynote speech by Steve Jobs, Ed Martin, CEO of Marware was talking to his manufacturer in Taiwan. Three days later, Ed showed me a finished prototype of the iPod mini SportSuit Sleeve, a smaller version of the iPod 3G SportSuit Sleeve. “We are working hard on the SportSuit Sleeve and it should be available when the iPod mini is out.” The case is identical in material and features as the SportSuit Sleeve for 3G iPods - a pouch-style neoprene case with vulcanized rubber side grips, access to the ‘Hold’ switch, dock and headphone ports. No pricing or color information has been determined at this time.

pic
pic
pic

« Forget the iPod mini, I want an ePod

Apple sells 733 thousand iPods, up 235%, profits are up »

Comments

That is so ugly - sorry but it’s like painting a ferrari modena in rust brown or something - should never be done.

Posted by dmeineck on January 15, 2004 at 7:58 AM (PDT)

I have one of these cases for my big ipod.  I use it when I bike or ski for a little added protection - works great.

Posted by me on January 15, 2004 at 8:21 AM (PDT)

Yes, i suppose in order to keep your ipod protected, it’s necessary to keep it padded like that!

Posted by dmeineck on January 15, 2004 at 8:26 AM (PDT)

I also have one for my regular iPod. I agree it doesn’t look that great, but I bought it because of the belt loops on the back. It’s the only case I have found that offers belt loops. I’ve tried a couple other cases with belt clips and although they generally work well I’ve had both of them work their way off my belt.

Posted by Shadow on January 15, 2004 at 9:19 AM (PDT)

I have one of these for my old iPod and although they are decent, they start to wear out after a couple months of use.  Overtime, the fabric that lines the top of the pouch start to get caught on the velcro and then it starts to snag that part until the threading pulls it apart.  Although its a good case with a cool rotating clip, I don’t like the fact that the material used didn’t last more than a year.  I may look into the new ones that are out now because they might be constructed a little better and I do like the larger/longer hole so you can plug your head phones.  The old one has a round medal ring hole and I couldn’t fit my own Sony ear buds because the connection was slightly curved and wasn’t straight like the Apple ear buds.  Thanks.

Posted by xterratop on January 15, 2004 at 7:43 PM (PDT)

If I am not mistaken, the original iPod sleeves cost around $20.  Other than a CD or something really durable like that, a duration span of a year is pretty darn good for the money( may outlive the battery!):P.  If you wore the same pair of jeans every day for a year how long would they last?  It’s simple, it serves a purpose, and it is easily affordable.  What more can we ask for?

Posted by iMacULATE on January 16, 2004 at 7:07 AM (PDT)

Imaculate - good points, but on the flipside, as consumers, we can ask for the world wink

Posted by dmeineck on January 16, 2004 at 7:22 AM (PDT)

I would rather put my ipod in a ziploc bag, if you want protection. That is one of the ugliest cases I have ever seen, right next to the ipod armor.

Posted by Nate on January 19, 2004 at 11:47 AM (PDT)

I don’t recall any Knights of the Round Table wearing pretty pink dresses with frilly lace leggings…

Posted by iMacULATE on January 20, 2004 at 3:59 AM (PDT)