McAfee explains Windows iPod virus, releases removal utility | iLounge News

McAfee explains Windows iPod virus, releases removal utility

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, October 18, 2006
News Categories: iPod

McAfee has detailed the newly revealed Windows virus that can be found on a small number of fifth-generation iPods. “The W32/RJump.worm, which was discovered June 20, 2006, recently reappeared on video iPod devices released by Apple late September,” explains the software company. “W32/RJump.worm uses the Python scripting language and is converted into a Windows portable executable file (RavMonE.exe). It attempts to spread by copying itself to mapped and removable storage drives and also opens a backdoor on an infected system.” McAfee has released a new version of its McAfee Stinger utility to detect and remove specific viruses, including the W32/RJump.worm and W32/QQPass.worm, another Windows-based virus that can be found on other MP3 devices.

« Urban Tool offers iPod-ready shirts, holsters

Record video directly to iPod with iRecord device »

Comments

I like how Apple blames Microsoft for this. How did this get on the iPods!

Posted by nojok3 on October 18, 2006 at 11:34 AM (PDT)

Well, in another story on this site, it says that there was a PC on the manufacturing process that did it. Now that’s funny that there are PC’s making Apple products.  Why aren’t Mac’s used in manufacturing???  Very strange.

Posted by mark on October 18, 2006 at 11:40 AM (PDT)

It could be that the PC was being used for formatting the iPod for PC (I’m not sure if you can format a Mac version with a PC).

Posted by mflat5 in USA on October 18, 2006 at 2:11 PM (PDT)

Mflat5, you have to be on whichever type of computer you want to format it on, so if you want it PC formatted, you have to be on a PC, if you want it Mac formatted, you have to be on a Mac.

Posted by MatrixSJD on October 18, 2006 at 3:33 PM (PDT)

how can i remove virus from ipod if i connect to pc it will automatically be virus effected. Any solution for IPOD formatting

Posted by sarojkhanal on November 12, 2006 at 7:07 PM (PDT)

I believe my ipod is infected, when i connect it to my pc windows cannot detect the device or drivers are missing plus, the ipod doesnt seem to be charging anymore. How can i determine if my Ipod is infected.

Posted by D.Dominguez on May 31, 2007 at 8:24 PM (PDT)

my pc cant detect ipod made by apple

Posted by fauker on November 14, 2007 at 12:28 AM (PDT)

this is insane! and so unfair. Apple is dominating everything now! they only support their apple products! Meaning if I do like their mini portable music device popularly called as an I-POD, I should also have a mac computer to go along with it!!!! Now, I cant seem to work both my windows programs and my IPOD!!!

Posted by luuukus on April 20, 2008 at 11:15 AM (PDT)

my video i-pod is not running after i charged it to a infected pc..music and videos are gone….how will i remove the virus in my i-pod

Posted by Ernesto D. Amora on May 24, 2008 at 8:54 PM (PDT)

i believe my ipod is infected, if i connect it to my pc, my pc just crashes, my ipod doesnt come o nor is it detected by my pc.

Posted by Aditya Shahani on August 19, 2008 at 2:38 AM (PDT)

when i scan my ipod with nod32 antivirus it shows 91 virus so how could i clean that virus in my ipod,And also showing delete option to delete can i delete that r not ,my doubt was it may delte the softwre thats y i didnt delete.so please give the solution to clean virus in my ipod.
if possible please send mail to my mail id.

Posted by vinay on December 19, 2008 at 3:10 AM (PDT)

my ipod touch says its disabled and has a message saying try again in 20921016 minutes how can i fix

Posted by sandy simpson on October 30, 2009 at 4:24 AM (PDT)

It says my Ippod is disabled & it wont let me do anything, WHat do i do?

Posted by Savannah on December 17, 2009 at 5:20 PM (PDT)

ya i restore my ipod classic 5th gen and put music on it it will get the same virues again can someone help plz

Posted by jake bowser on February 23, 2010 at 9:03 PM (PDT)