Mediafour releases XPlay 2.0 Beta | iLounge News

Mediafour releases XPlay 2.0 Beta

picXPlay 2 provides a variety of new features, including compatibility with Audible files, AAC files, and even automatic WMA-to-MP3 conversion.

Press Release

West Des Moines, IA (24-February-2004)

« Eminem sues Apple over iTunes ad

Mac|Windows: PocketMac iPod Edition Released »

Comments

Well…They didn’t add the capability to transfer songs back to the iPod with the correct filenames restored. I wrote to them several times about this. They are not receptive to any suggestions or criticism of their product. I won’t be upgrading my Xplay when the final is out…I’ve found a better alternative…ANAPOD and that great little Freeware utility SHAREPOD…

Posted by DaveI on February 24, 2004 at 1:26 PM (CST)

I meant back to the PC (From ipod to PC)...

Posted by DaveI on February 24, 2004 at 1:27 PM (CST)

Awful hard to compete with iTunes

Posted by gilatrout on February 24, 2004 at 3:15 PM (CST)

“only product ever to provide Windows integration for Mac-formatted iPods”

Why on earth would you want this? Just format the ipod for windows. The mac can handle it beautifully, and you don’t need add-on software to use it with windows.

Sorry. Not impressed. I only see two benefits of this over itunes… the wma conversion (lossy^2, fun), and it works on windows 98, which iTunes apparently does not.

Posted by JC on February 24, 2004 at 3:21 PM (CST)

JC, I believe what they meant by that was that XPlay was the first piece of software released that allowed Mac iPods to be used with Windows. This was when iPods were still Mac-only.

Posted by dter on February 24, 2004 at 4:07 PM (CST)

It is always hard to compete with “free”, unless youoffer a better product with more features and/or easier integration or pan-platform support.

Opera browser is a good example of a $30 product that manages to compete quite well for many years now with IE. Smaller, sleeker, works great on phones and mobile devices, renders pages well.

It’s good that there are companies who are not afraid to improve on iTunes and try to earn money doing so.

i do think, though, that comparing xPlay for $30 and Media Center for $40, you get a lot more for your $40.

Posted by competition on February 24, 2004 at 4:07 PM (CST)

“XPlay is also the only way to use iPods with older versions of Windows, including Windows Me and Windows 98SE.”

Er, not quite: what about JR Media Center 9 or 10 and Ephpod….

Gotta love press releases.

Adam

Posted by ashawley on February 24, 2004 at 9:08 PM (CST)

Here’s value to consider: XPlay lets me sync to Windows Media Player playlists.  WMP has much better autoplaylist functionality, including smart automatic ratings based on how often I choose to listen to a song.  Windows Media Player will also “listen” to music directories for me.  With these features plus XPlay, managing the music on my iPod becomes a lot more “automatic.”

Posted by rci on February 24, 2004 at 10:44 PM (CST)

I dont know about you guys, but I love Xplay. It lets me synch my ipod with my computer without any in your face programs like itunes. I personally dont want itunes rearranging all my music to whichever way it likes. I never have too deal with Xplay excecpt for the 10-30 seconds it synchs with my ipod. I am not saying it is perfect, but it sure is not as bad as all you guys are making it seem. Plus, from my trial with itunes (I dont know if they have changed it or not) it is difficulty to synch it with muic that is not in your library. I do not know about you, but I dont want every song I listen to on my ipod. Xplay lets you choose tre files and folders it synchs with.

Posted by kyle v on February 25, 2004 at 7:37 AM (CST)

one word for you Kyle V: EphPod. I don’t even use iTunes.

Posted by billy on February 25, 2004 at 8:30 AM (CST)

stick with iTunes, it came with the iPod and its free.  Unless you have a mac edition iPod on a windows PC then there is not need to pay extra for software you don’t need, to me it seems like paying for a new iPod battery to be installed in the iPod when you just purchased the iPod unit.

Posted by itUnes on February 25, 2004 at 12:07 PM (CST)