Microsoft “aims to topple Apple” for digital tunes | iLounge News

Microsoft “aims to topple Apple” for digital tunes

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, December 29, 2003
News Categories: Digital Media

“‘This will be the year downloadable music ... goes legitimate,’ says Dave Fester, general manager of Microsoft’s digital media division.

Those jumping on board the digital music bandwagon can thank Apple Computer for getting it rolling. Apple opened its iTunes online music store in April and was the first to let patrons download individual songs for 99 cents, without having to commit to a subscription service.

The software giant aims to topple Apple as the early market leader by spurring the growth of a cross section of digital music suppliers and device makers all using the Windows Media format, it says.

‘The best part about Windows Media is that it unlocks choice,’ Microsoft’s Fester says. “You can buy from the store or use the device that gives you the best experience.”“

« Mini iPod Roundup

CNET: Online music’s winners and losers »

Comments

dethbrakr: “It’s good to have product and brand loyalty, but it’s foolish to continue that loyalty when something outside of that zealot-ism is superior. “

True, but people also need to stop being apologist for a monopoly that has done no real good but all bad and still makes a shitload of cash from people’s miseries.

People need to wake up!

Posted by ggdfhgjfd on December 29, 2003 at 4:15 PM (PDT)

ggd—

I don’t agree with a lot of Microsoft’s business decisions, nor do I think that Microsoft is the perfect picture of a “competitor.”

At the same time, I don’t think it’s fair to say that the only reason Windows is on 95 or whatever percent of the world’s computers is because Microsoft has a monopoly on the market.  Their software is accessible, known, fairly-priced, adaptable, and fairly well implemented.  I personally like Windows, and I’m not a windows zealot.  I recommend Apples for either really advanced users or for beginning users, but Windows is a nice medium.  But I’m no analyst or computer expert.

Every company or product has its advantages.  The problem with Microsoft is that they’ve forced their “advantages” onto the masses in an unfavorable manner.

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on December 29, 2003 at 4:44 PM (PDT)

dethbrakr, “At the same time, I don’t think it’s fair to say that the only reason Windows is on 95 or whatever percent of the world’s computers is because Microsoft has a monopoly on the market. Their software is accessible, known, fairly-priced, adaptable, and fairly well implemented. I personally like Windows, and I’m not a windows zealot. I recommend Apples for either really advanced users or for beginning users, but Windows is a nice medium. But I’m no analyst or computer expert.”

The last line of that paragraph have proven why your misconception of Microsoft is so deep that you’ve been (don’t take this personally) brainwashed you need to wake up!!!

1]. do you know how MS got to their 95% (really it’s much les than this now, with Linux and Mac) of monoply in the first place? ever heard of IBM and Nescape? do some research dude.

2]. windows is accessible? in what way? I wouldn’t consider mediorcracy accessible or even acceptable! you’re starting to sound like a apologist I was speaking of before…

3]. dude, try a Mac before you making you sound like a fool by saying the following contradictions, “I recommend Apples for either really advanced users or for beginning users, but Windows is a nice medium. But I’m no analyst or computer expert” - why would you recommend in the first place if you are no expert? how do you know Macs’ are just for beginners and “really advanced users” if you’ve just said you’re no expert?

I guess you think the flakiness and instability (not even going into security issues) is okay, so you’d shun out everything else while making yourself sound like very objective but I can smell you from miles away (again, don’t take this personally), again, wake the fsck up son!

Posted by ggdfhgjfd on December 29, 2003 at 5:00 PM (PDT)

The difference between AAC and WMA files is that Apple uses AAC as a way to protect artists while allowing the owner to burn and transfer them in a convenient manner.

Microsoft uses WMA’s as a way to lock companies into using their technology.  The WMA’s are geared towards big business and are of little convenience to the consumer.  They have expiration dates for crying out loud…

Posted by RoMoFo on December 29, 2003 at 5:41 PM (PDT)

Do all protected WMAs have expiration dates, or is it just some of them?  Because I kind of like the idea of expiration dates idea.

If you download a song, say, for free, then you can listen to that song for an hour, a day, whatever.  If you like it, you can keep it by paying for it.  Just sounded kinda cool to me…

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on December 29, 2003 at 5:58 PM (PDT)

Paraphrased : “Don’t take this personally but… you’re an idiot.”

Posted by Albert on December 29, 2003 at 6:04 PM (PDT)

albert—

Yeah, I’m deliberately not responding to that (ggd’s response).  I already covered each of the items he talked about in his response.

I guess if I’m an idiot, then I’m not smart enough to respond, eh?

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on December 29, 2003 at 6:32 PM (PDT)

Man, the mac zealots are hilarious.  Too bad we can’t harness all that energy for something useful.

Posted by wickerbill on December 29, 2003 at 6:54 PM (PDT)

I’m thinking something matrix-like.  We attract them into power-harnessing pods with cute icons and trap them with high prices and low warranties.

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on December 29, 2003 at 6:58 PM (PDT)

“Well, the raw format on CDs is AIFF so that’s what I would prefer, not WAV files.”

actually, it’s not. It’s PCM, which is not really a file as such. However, for purposes of displaying in the finder, Mac OS gives them a AIFF container, and Windows gives them a WAV container.

Posted by Nathan Adams on December 29, 2003 at 9:09 PM (PDT)

“...I recommend Apples for either really advanced users…”

???

Sorry to digress, but very advanced users would use either Windows or Linux, not Mac.

Posted by Z on December 29, 2003 at 10:24 PM (PDT)

I work on advanced 2d graphics and i’m starting to work with 3d graphics and i get work done much faster on a mac than i ever did running windows. currently i use panther on top of gentoo linux.

microsoft is going to have a problem if they use their current tactics, they are going to be comming into a market as the underdog useing monopolistic stradegies, that is where they will run into problems.

Posted by Penguin_Biker on December 30, 2003 at 12:06 AM (PDT)

Thanks for proving my point, Penguin.

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on December 30, 2003 at 12:23 AM (PDT)

from what i’ve seen macs are good for all computer users (unless your a hardcore gamer you don’t have a leg to stand on in a mac vs windows debate because of the unavoidable fact that there a more games out for windows)

Posted by Penguin_Biker on December 30, 2003 at 12:50 AM (PDT)

Penguin,

Don’t try to reason with the Windroids. Ignorance is bliss and they’re smiling from ear to ear.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 30, 2003 at 4:34 AM (PDT)

I respect Penguin’s opinion, but he is one person with one opinion based only on his work style.  But people who program, network, and do any kind of serious statistical analysis do not use Macs.  They use PC’s primarily, as well as Linux and Unix.

I know that people use Macs for graphics and music and all sorts of tasks - I’m not saying that Macs don’t have power.  And everyone has their likes and dislikes.  But the fact that there is more PC software than Mac software in general due to the fact that the PC market is where all the money is at, proves that most program for PC.  The PC market share and the saturation of Linux and Unix and Windows found in networking, scientific, mathematical, and medical fields, as well as the enterprise in general, are what prove that advanced users prefer and use PC’s… not Macs.

The highest end graphics, 3D, and music apps have been found on PC’s for years, not just Macs.  As a matter of fact, the highest end graphics you’d see on TV shows like Babylon5 and so forth weren’t even done on Macs.  They were done on PC’s and higher end SG workstations.

I know we have our opinions, but I would never drive an advanced user to a Mac.  An advanced user who wants the greatest flexibility in terms of application would know enough to stay away.

Posted by Z on December 30, 2003 at 4:41 AM (PDT)

Atomic…  yeah… Windroid.

That’s it.  I’m a Windroid… who… cannot… be… reasoned… with…

Thanks for clearing that up for me.  Especially since you know me so well.

End of line.

Posted by Z on December 30, 2003 at 4:46 AM (PDT)

“The highest end graphics, 3D, and music apps have been found on PC’s for years, not just Macs. As a matter of fact, the highest end graphics you’d see on TV shows like Babylon5 and so forth weren’t even done on Macs. They were done on PC’s and higher end SG workstations.”

As someone working in that industry, I can only say that you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. As I said, ignorance is bliss.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 30, 2003 at 5:17 AM (PDT)

Atomic - calm down man, all you ever do on this whole site is criticise other users and get into arguments.

Posted by dmeineck on December 30, 2003 at 5:56 AM (PDT)

“...all you ever do on this whole site…”

Actually, all I ever do is call people on their BS. If you don’t like my comments, then ignore them. That’s your choice.

Some of the comments by “Z” and “dethbrakr” are simply FUD born of ignorance (not a put-down, just an observation) of the platforms of which they speak. Just as they have the right to post their comments, I have a right to post my opinion on their comments.

If you want to censor someone, how about adding a little legitimacy to your post by at least registering for the site?

Speaking of registering, didn’t iPodlounger mention that site registration may be required come January 1? That will be nice.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 30, 2003 at 6:09 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 5 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >  Last »