Microsoft “aims to topple Apple” for digital tunes | iLounge News

Microsoft “aims to topple Apple” for digital tunes

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, December 29, 2003
News Categories: Digital Media

“‘This will be the year downloadable music ... goes legitimate,’ says Dave Fester, general manager of Microsoft’s digital media division.

Those jumping on board the digital music bandwagon can thank Apple Computer for getting it rolling. Apple opened its iTunes online music store in April and was the first to let patrons download individual songs for 99 cents, without having to commit to a subscription service.

The software giant aims to topple Apple as the early market leader by spurring the growth of a cross section of digital music suppliers and device makers all using the Windows Media format, it says.

‘The best part about Windows Media is that it unlocks choice,’ Microsoft’s Fester says. “You can buy from the store or use the device that gives you the best experience.”“

« Mini iPod Roundup

CNET: Online music’s winners and losers »

Comments

Boy, A-bomb, at least, I am glad you admit it when you are wrong.  A couple of more corrections.  Aagain, all companies develop their <<insert codec, product, here>> as standard.  Case in points, CF, SM, MMC, SD, XD, and MS are all supposed to be “standards”.  To me, all BS.  What the consumer decides is the standard.  This is similar in spirit to what stark23x wrote: “There is no superior platform anymore. Everyone hs a reason to use what they use.”

BTW, one reason why many manufac. choose WMA as well is that WMA is cheaper to license.  Sure, one could argue that may be a way MS lure people in and then once everyone adopted then jack up the price and/or exercise monopoly.  That still does not change the fact that as of today, WMA is cheaper to license than WMA.

As a consumer, I would like to see iPod to support more than just AAC (WMA, OGG, FLAC, WAV, etc).  As a mostly Mac user, I see no real dire need for it, of course.

Posted by Ken Lin on December 31, 2003 at 12:59 AM (PDT)

Why are you guys fighting over AAC and WMA?  Who cares?  If my iPod doesn’t play it, I won’t get it.  I don’t care for Windows Media Player, my WinAMP player doesn’t have the codec installed, and I don’t use WMP unless there’s no alternative, which there currently is plenty.

Anyways, back to the AAC and WMA thing…  currently, music files from iTunes are in AAC format.  They have very low restrictions right now and allow you to burn to a cd.  If you want your files on MP3 format, why not just burn it to a cd, extract the tracks to mp3 or wma, and you’re set.  The extracted mp3’s can be burned and copied as many times as you want as the restrictions are gone.  You’re free until they find a way to restrict this nice little bypass somehow…

Posted by cabbit on December 31, 2003 at 2:12 AM (PDT)

I’m sure some dude out there can make an add-on or hack the iPod firmware to allow the decoding of OGG or other file formats.

Is anyone aware of any such projects going on?

Posted by cabbit on December 31, 2003 at 2:18 AM (PDT)

Regarding OGG on an iPod, here is a link to a plug-in that will allow you to play OGG files in iTunes (Mac only):

Also, read this note about porting Linux to the iPod for the purposes of playing OGG files:

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 31, 2003 at 5:10 AM (PDT)

Actually, bill gates is a marketing geniouse, it was ibm who blew it.  He distributed his software freely to ibm, letting them use it on their computers.  Ibm was laughing in his face, whoohooo look at this fool.  He gave us free software! hahahha. As the os spread and people began using it he patented it and then laughed all the way to the bank. Hahaha.

Posted by hopesfall on December 31, 2003 at 12:12 PM (PDT)

Atomic:  Yeah, I agree… Mac vs. PC is fun, he he…

I do have to agree with Stark23x though… all of these computers do so much anymore, they all have their place in the graphics industry.  You’ll see every platform used for the highest end creative tasks everywhere in the graphics industries.  Very good point.

I do have to say, Atomic, that the clip that you provided was very funny, lol…  I’m know that when Bill looked like that - which must have been about a hundred years ago - Mac was on top for those things.  You know as well as I do that he wouldn’t have said those things for quite some time now and certainly wouldn’t be saying them now.

And why wouldn’t you think that Premier is a professional level tool?  Avid certainly is as I mentioned in my last post.

But as I’ve been addressing your comments about graphics, keep in mind that my initial point was going so far beyond just the graphics issue.  I was addressing medicine, mathematics, science, engineering, and networking industries in light of how PC’s are utilized for the most advanced tasks in relation to Mac usage.

Posted by Z on December 31, 2003 at 1:34 PM (PDT)

It is obvious that you are a liar Atomic Bomb.  The new Mac OS sucks and everyone knows it.  It crashes ALL the time and it is a crappy OS.

Apple is nothing when it comes to computers nowadays.

Ipod on the other hand is a cool device and I love it.

I just get tired of Apple freaks who will make up anything to support that ###### platform.  Go back to your mac and do your little drawings you loser.

Posted by Atomic Bomb is a liar on December 31, 2003 at 3:07 PM (PDT)

guess what AAC is open, the things that make it proprietary are the copy protections on the songs that you BUY!! anyone can encode an unencrypted AAC.

also if apple is behind the ball as you say why, why is M$ always the one to copy them and don’t even try to convince me that there not. and anotherthing apple is pixar and pixar is apple, they are both owned by Steve Jobs

would people please get their facts strait before posting

Posted by Penguin_Biker on December 31, 2003 at 4:06 PM (PDT)

speaking of getting facts strait, oops

aac may not be open but anyone can encode a song in aac if they so please

Posted by Penguin_Biker on December 31, 2003 at 4:15 PM (PDT)

Z - Premier is an extremely simplistic tool even compared to Final Cut Express. Having used it extensively, I can say that I’ll never go back. Adobe stopped making Premier for Mac because no Mac user in their right mind would ever consider Premier over Final Cut Pro. They aren’t even close. Trust me on this. Premier is to Final Cut Pro as Microsoft Photo Editor is to PhotoShop. No joke.

I won’t even entertain the post by that anonymous village idiot who posted after Z other than to say that anyone who even mentions “crash” and “Mac OS” in the same breath must be breathing methane - out of his/her ###.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 31, 2003 at 6:33 PM (PDT)

Atomic,

I’m not suggesting that FCP isn’t great… I don’t doubt that it is.  But I don’t think it’s quite fair to suggest that Premier is simplistic, even when compared to something else.  Premier has quite a learning curve and when coupled with After Effects, creates a very powerful tool.  But I suppose many pros would even prefer Avid over Premier - at least on the PC side.

Posted by Z on January 1, 2004 at 2:21 AM (PDT)

<sigh>  I’ll join in the fun then…

My PalmOS will beat your WinXP.  It never crashes on me even when I am running the datebook.

Posted by cabbit on January 1, 2004 at 4:48 AM (PDT)

Bottom Line…......

If Apple is so great and Microsoft stinks so bad, why is Apple market share so insignificant???  Why don’t they sell more?  Why is the OVERWHELMING WORLD MAJORITY buying PCs?

If Apple were any good it would do better than that.  In the end, it is a tiny niche market and APPLE only survives because of fanatics like Atomic Bomb, etc.

Funny how those Apple FREAKS keep buying ###### Apple computers and sinking TONS of dollars on completely PROPRIETARY cabling and such.  And then they need to buy 4 computers a year because they become obsolete in less than 3 months.  remember the Centris 660AV???  What a joke and what a rip off for consumers.

Anyway, to that insignificant computer illiterate minority…..you KNOW you suck and you KNOW you are nothing.

You also KNOW that you will never be able to convince anyone that your product is better….you know it isnt…..thats why it doesn’t sell.

Go back to your holes.

Posted by Apple stinks on January 1, 2004 at 9:58 AM (PDT)

“If Apple is so great and Microsoft stinks so bad, why is Apple market share so insignificant??? Why don’t they sell more? Why is the OVERWHELMING WORLD MAJORITY buying PCs?”

And Ford sells so many more cars than BMW that is must be better, eh? Clueless.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 1, 2004 at 1:58 PM (PDT)

(Oh, and you’re on an Apple product site you idiot.)

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 1, 2004 at 1:59 PM (PDT)

Well Atomic Bomb,

Your comparison of BMW vs. Ford with Apple vs. PC is completely flawed and you have fallen into your own trap.

You just love to keep losing face in here.

Now….how much is the cheapest ford on the market?  How much is the cheapest BMW on the market?

Clearly everybody who cant afford one would love to own a BMW.

So are you saying that PC owners buy pcs because they cannot afford Macs?  What a dumbass you are.  Macs are actually very cheap…cheaper than many pcs.  I don’t see people running to the stores to buy MACs.  Most PC users are clueless about MACs and many dont even know they exist.

I can just imagine all those consultants using MACS!  hahaha….what a joke.

Go back to your hole you loser.  Apple is nothing and you know it.

Sooner or later they will be extint.

Posted by Dumb on January 1, 2004 at 2:50 PM (PDT)

Hey A-Bomb!

You make us MAC users look bad.  The user ‘Apple stinks’ writes a moronic message and not only do you answer him (and therefore acknowledge him) but you also respond with the stupidest analogy ever!!  ford and BMW???  what the #### man?

And so many of your comments are so subjective that people just make fun of you because of your ignorance.

Do not put yourself in our group of MAC lovers, you are just another guy full of #### and that just makes us look bad.

AFAIK, this site has Apple fans, PC fans and Atomic Bomb.

Go away unless you have something constructive to say.

Posted by Apple is the best on January 1, 2004 at 3:17 PM (PDT)

To prove my point here is a collection of comments made by Atomic Bomb lately.  They speak for themselves.  Who is the troll now?  You talk about objectivity, unbias, etc and you write this crap?

Anonymous anti-apple posters I can understand….but a registered ignorant and fool apple fanatic?  Now that is something far worse.

Enjoy the ########:

Hype? You are pathetic. Go buy yourself a Dell Digital Junkbox and enjoy.

More garbage from CNET. This is actually pretty funny. Any article that quotes Rob Enderle must be a joke.

The San Jose Mercury News is renowned for their inaccurate reporting on subjects such as this one

This is such a non-issue. A few whiners and trolls have turned this into quite a bit of wasted space on this and other forums. I’ll be glad when everyone comes to their senses and moves on.

You didn’t read that because it simply isn’t true. How about testing one for yourself.

I guess should add clueless idiots to that list.

Look, most iPods aren’t “$500” and it only costs $49 for a new battery - or $99 if you’re too lazy to install it yourself. Talk about biased!

That’s what amazes me about Dell. Shoddy products, horrible customer service, unreliable service delivery, but they hand out a few coupons so people go bananas for them! Steve Jobs was completely correct when he said Dell was the Wal-Mart of computer companies. And that’s exactly what people should expect out of them.

Wow. He manages to say so little while using so many words. That’s 10 minutes of my life I’ll never get back.

<sarcasm>I’m surprised that the teenage intern who “designed” the Dell DJ wasn’t a contendor for this prize.</sarcasm>

Dell.com doesn’t sell Macs either. Why would they? They have their own products to sell. When they didn’t have a portable music player it made sense to sell the iPod. Now that they have their knock-off, though, why direct customers to the competition?
Besides, who would buy an iPod from Dell anyway?

I just feel sorry for the poor souls who wake up on Christmas morning to find a Dell DJ under the tree when they wanted an iPod. D’oh!

Posted by Apple is the best on January 1, 2004 at 10:51 PM (PDT)

“...you are just another guy full of s***...”

Why is the assumption always made by you anonymous posters that I’m a man?

I’m amazed at the amount of animosity present on a site intended to be a forum to discuss a small electronic device! Why concern yourselves so much with my comments when you could actually address the topic at hand?

By anonymously and needlessly attacking individual posters with your abusive language you bring nothing to these discussions - yet you accuse me of having nothing constructive to say. How strange.

Here we are on a site dedicated to an Apple product and hear I am, an interested user of that product, but a professional software developer in the Windows world and Mac user otherwise. I have no affiliation with or dedication to Apple other than the value I find from their products. At the same time, I value the products I own from other manufacturers such as IBM, Toshiba, Sun, and Cisco.

So we joke about PC vs Mac. But have I ever started such an argument? No. This degeneration of the topic generally comes from some fanatical anonymous poster who is clearly attempting to stir up emotions. But of what? As was stated before, these are just tools.

Still, the lack of any real knowledge on the part of many of the kiddies posting to this site is truly amazing. And it’s so easy to get you all worked up! Apparently even to the point that one of you has enough time to compile portions of my comments. Wow! I’m impressed that I’m that important to you that you would devote so much time to me!

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 2, 2004 at 4:32 AM (PDT)

Hey guys, Remember the Palm Pilot ?? Now most people have the HP Ipaq Pocket PC. MS will just take the Ipod to the next level of innovation and market acceptance.

by the way , I do love my Ipod but inovation will not stop here.

Posted by David Sajfar on January 2, 2004 at 4:49 AM (PDT)

Page 4 of 5 pages « First  <  2 3 4 5 >