Microsoft CEO: iPod users steal music | iLounge News

Microsoft CEO: iPod users steal music

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, October 4, 2004
News Categories: iPod

“Speaking to an exclusive gathering of press in London on a number of issues, such as security, Steve Ballmer didn’t pass up the opportunity to take several digs at his company’s arch rival Apple. [...]

Billing Microsoft as the good guys and Apple the villains of the piece - at least as far as corporate America, rather than users, is concerned, Ballmer said: ‘We’ve had DRM in Windows for years. The most common format of music on an iPod is ‘stolen’.’”

« Windows: euPOD PRO 1.6 released

Future iPod to add integrated radio? »

Comments

WAAAAH!

Posted by MacUser on October 4, 2004 at 7:20 AM (PDT)

that is just ridiculous

Posted by ililililil on October 4, 2004 at 7:22 AM (PDT)

It almost makes me feel ashamed to be using a windows computer after reading that, jeez thats like being back in pre-school.

Posted by That is Comedy on October 4, 2004 at 7:22 AM (PDT)

All the music I have on my iPod is directly imported from CD’s. Whether they be CD’s I own or CD’s I’ve borrowed from friends. To just through random MP3’s on the iPod would be a disaster to find, because you would have to tag them correctly just to be able to find them. For me it’s not worth the hassle, and I like having all my music 128kbps AAC.

Posted by Cyantre on October 4, 2004 at 7:23 AM (PDT)

*Whether they are [. . .]

Posted by Cyantre on October 4, 2004 at 7:24 AM (PDT)

*To just throw [. . .]

Posted by Cyantre on October 4, 2004 at 7:24 AM (PDT)

and it’s not like you can’t put any mp3s on WMA mp3 players….Microsoft thinks that WMA is the all powerful codec everyone uses….PLEEEASE!

Posted by ililililil on October 4, 2004 at 7:26 AM (PDT)

This is incredible, when you read the whole story, HIS OWN SON is the one he is talking about.  Take away your little boy’s computer and send his fat @ss outside to play ball or something.

Posted by Randy W on October 4, 2004 at 7:35 AM (PDT)

Pay him no mind, these are the same people saying that they Microsoft will offer anti-spyware etc.  These are also the same people who want you to believe that “only pirates use Linux..All must kneel and pay the Microsoft tax.”

These people wonder why people who have any idea what they are doing are begining to grvitate more towards Linux. (or Mac if they feel the need to spend too much for underperforming hardware.)

Posted by Shadow Skill on October 4, 2004 at 7:37 AM (PDT)

Actually, the most common MP3 players used by people who steal music is the Ipod. grin

>>The most common format of music on an iPod is ‘stolen’.

Posted by mumpp99 on October 4, 2004 at 7:38 AM (PDT)

The majority of software on windows is probably stolen wink

I think Microsoft is a bit sore at not being the one dominating a market

Posted by Pilky on October 4, 2004 at 7:43 AM (PDT)

The most common format of music on ANY mp3 player is “stolen”

Posted by ililililil on October 4, 2004 at 7:44 AM (PDT)

WHen was MP3, as a format, stolen?

I am confused…

Posted by cybergoober on October 4, 2004 at 7:54 AM (PDT)

they stoled the mac os and created windows.

Posted by Brayeta on October 4, 2004 at 8:00 AM (PDT)

Wow, you can’t compete with the product, so insult the CUSTOMERS… hmm… a new phase in creative marketing.

Lord knows it won’t hurt Micro$oft to insult Apple customers. They’ve lost us forever anyway.

Posted by Jamie on October 4, 2004 at 8:15 AM (PDT)

“The most common format of music on an iPod is ‘stolen’.’”

The same could be said for any music player, including those that play WMA files. No music player is innocent.

I agree with Pilky, Microsoft is just pissed that Apple is trouncing them in the portable audio player market. How does it feel to play second fiddle, Mr Ballmer?

Posted by Zaccix on October 4, 2004 at 8:21 AM (PDT)

About 70% of the music on my iPod is stolen.

Wait, I’m Canadian; it’s legal for me to download music. Balmer is a ######.

Tom

Posted by Thomas Davie on October 4, 2004 at 8:24 AM (PDT)

Once again, here you have Microcrap complaining to the world that another companies product is better than their own. Whether it be hardware or software, they have to be the only source and no other. Too many crashes, too many viruses and too many problems. Fix what you have (you know what the problems are) and make it better and then you can pit yourself against others when you have a strong foundation. We, iPodders, enjoy the music that is available to us, whether online, off a CD or whatever comes our way. Stop crying momma…no one os listening.

Posted by ezflyer on October 4, 2004 at 8:33 AM (PDT)

One of my favorite Ballmer quotes is:
“Windows is about choice.” smile

Posted by JaxMac on October 4, 2004 at 8:42 AM (PDT)

Wow, can’t imagine that coming from a CEO, of Microsoft!! I hope he is now regretting that what he had said is creating a reprecussion around the world, namely Apple/Mac iPod owners!

Now finally I have a “reason” or “excuse” not to “respect” a local MS rep if I see or meet one, I’d just tell him, “look what your CEO had said!”

My respect for MS probably just gone from 0 to a negative.

Posted by howwow on October 4, 2004 at 8:42 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 6 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »