Microsoft CEO: No chance iPhone will gain significant market share | iLounge News

Microsoft CEO: No chance iPhone will gain significant market share

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer continued his anti-Apple press campaign in a recent interview published by USA Today. Responding to a question about passionate Apple customers, Ballmer jokes about Windows/Mac market share numbers and goes on to say that there is “no chance” the iPhone will gain traction. Ballmer also said the game isn’t over when it comes to portable media players.

“There’s no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance,” Ballmer said. “It’s a $500 subsidized item. They may make a lot of money. But if you actually take a look at the 1.3 billion phones that get sold, I’d prefer to have our software in 60% or 70% or 80% of them, than I would to have 2% or 3%, which is what Apple might get.”

“In the case of music, Apple got out early,” Ballmer continued. “They were the first to really recognize that you couldn’t just think about the device and all the pieces separately. Bravo. Credit that to Steve (Jobs) and Apple. They did a nice job. But it’s not like we’re at the end of the line of innovation that’s going to come in the way people listen to music, watch videos, etc. I’ll bet our ads will be less edgy. But my 85-year-old uncle probably will never own an iPod, and I hope we’ll get him to own a Zune.”

« Nike updates Nike+ Sport Armband

SlingPlayer for Mac offers Apple TV, iPod support »

Comments

Sounds like Ballmer and his uncle are on bad terms if he would punish an 85 year old with a Zune.

Posted by miketcool on April 30, 2007 at 9:48 AM (PDT)

Wow. Microsoft just hit the mail on the head. Ballmer’s 85 year old uncle might buy a Zune. Great target marketing, Microsoft. Cause you know how strong the 85 year old portable music player market is. (The Count Basie Orchestra is perfect for working out.)

Granted yes, I’m a bit of a fanboy… but can you blame me when you read ridiculous articles like this?

Posted by thelottery on April 30, 2007 at 9:51 AM (PDT)

Will someone please shut Steve up? I just hope that his comments are pushed back in his face after Apple sells about a zillion iPhones. What will his mantra then be. Phones are stupid? It is sad that having all that money can’t buy intelligence.

Posted by Don Trammell on April 30, 2007 at 9:53 AM (PDT)

It’s good to see microsoft is going after that much-coveted and often elusive seniors market. Maybe some volume boosting features in the next Zune, instead of volume limiting.

I bet Ballmer’s 12 year old cousin loves his iPod, and will probably keep buying them until he’s 85.

Posted by Matt Forsythe on April 30, 2007 at 9:55 AM (PDT)

Future Quote from Steve Ballmer:

“My 86-year-old uncle LOVES the Zune that he bought imself and was not supplied by Microsoft, Inc. He has named it ‘Pudding’ and has almost flushed it down the toilet six times, now!”

And you know it’s true, because I don’t see Ballmer as the type of guy to give merchandise to family members.

Posted by Multimoog on April 30, 2007 at 10:08 AM (PDT)

Other things that relatives of Steve Ballmer said many years ago…Who the hell wants to hear actors talk….We don’t like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out anyway…..

Posted by Rob on April 30, 2007 at 10:17 AM (PDT)

Methinks the boy doth protest too much!

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on April 30, 2007 at 10:21 AM (PDT)

I will bet you Apple sells WAY more Iphones in the first 6 months than Microsoft will EVER sell of their Zune. I don’t wonder Steve’s uncle has almost flushed it down the toilet, with 85 yr old eyesight he prolly mistook it for a turd. heck with my younger eyesight I have often thought it to look like one too. HA!!!

Posted by rob on April 30, 2007 at 10:43 AM (PDT)

If only Steve Ballmer’s 85 year old uncle determined market share.

Posted by urbanslaughter on April 30, 2007 at 11:00 AM (PDT)

Is ballmer the new dvorak ? Face it m$ just keep to business and leave the arts to apple.

Apple has a 5 year head start with the ipod. This paves the way for the next 5 years for iphone.

Posted by mango on April 30, 2007 at 11:46 AM (PDT)

Microsoft CEO: “The Zune’s Gonna Be Huge”

Posted by Lawrence Mikkelsen in New Zealand on April 30, 2007 at 11:55 AM (PDT)

I can’t wait for the Apple vs M$ commercials w/ the “Mac Guy.”

Should be VERY funny.

Mac Guy - “Hey PC, what are you doing?”

PC Guy - “Oh nothing, just finishing up a proposal in Microsoft Office on my brand new blackberry”

Mac Guy - “Why don’t you just do that on a computer?”

PC Guy - “Cause I’m..Why what are you doing?”

Mac Guy - “Oh nothing, just browsing iLounge on my new iPhone and waiting for a call from my friends so we can go out.”

PC Guy - “You’re using your iPhone for social reasons?”

Mac Guy - “Yea…it’s a PHONE.”

PC Guy - “Oh.  But I got this tiny keyboard that reminds me of my PC…”

Mac Guy - “Just stop PC, you’re gonna hurt yourself”

Posted by twitzgall on April 30, 2007 at 11:58 AM (PDT)

... seriously, this is kinda ridiculous. It took MS about five years to finally jump on the DAP bandwagon, precisely because, at some point, in the early stages of the iPod’s life, someone at MS decided it was a gimmick and an avenue not worth following.

Posted by Lawrence Mikkelsen in New Zealand on April 30, 2007 at 11:58 AM (PDT)

I think Ballmer is right when he says that the iPhone won’t gain that much share in the phone market. Come on, A $500 (or 600) smart phone. I could get a ps3 for that, and ps3 has a lot more new technology built into it than the iPhone does. There were already touchscreen smart phones that could access the internet, play music and videos, etc. I could invest my money into something better than the iPhone, unless they drop the price by $100+, then
I’ll just be waiting for the Zune phone then, which I believe will be relatively cheaper than the iPhone.
And also, you still have to get a 2-year contract with Cingular, not one, but TWO!!!! That raises the price even higher, unless you don’t plan on using it as a phone (maybe someone just wanting something that will be similar to the 6G iPod maybe).
One quick question, do you have to get a 2-year contract with Cingular in order to purchase the iPhone? or is it if you want a service for the phone, it has to be a minimum 2 years with Cingular.

Posted by doompod on April 30, 2007 at 12:39 PM (PDT)

@doompod,

You in the States might pay $500 but in Europe where ( I hate to say this, real mobile telephony takes place) Apple has to offer a much better product than it is currently offering. There is no way that phone will sell for that much here, and without 3G. Apple knows this. Being that the US is still sort of in its infancy with mobiles, Apple is trying to make fast money because Europeans are much more mature when it comes to phones and what they expect from them.

In the end, it will be interesting though.

By the way, I would listen to Shaw Wu before I listened to Stupid Steve.

Posted by Don Trammell on April 30, 2007 at 12:54 PM (PDT)

Don your right on im just hoping the contracts not going to be sky high.

Anyway onto the point Ballmer appears to be kidding himself or at least he is seriously delusional thinking the Zunes going to improve Microsoft should stick to (good) games consoles and horrid operating systems, really this constant negative and apparently pathetically poor anti apple sentiments are weak at best. Jees at least be inventive like Apple is.

Posted by johnathan on April 30, 2007 at 2:47 PM (PDT)

@doompod,

If you actually would read the article, you’d see that Ballmer says that MS has no intention of ever releasing a Zune phone.

Posted by lancetx on April 30, 2007 at 4:01 PM (PDT)

Honestly, did you guys really expect the CEO of Microsoft to say “Oh, the Zune sucks. iPhone rules all.” Of course they’re going to downplay the iPhone thing, and even if the iPhone is over-hyped, i’d take an iPhone over a Zune any day. And I don’t know any 85-year-olds who even know how to use a computer, much less own an MP3 Player.

Posted by The Soup Nazi on April 30, 2007 at 5:12 PM (PDT)

OK - Seriously (and I AM serious here). Did Ballmer used to beat up on Gates as a kid? Did Ballmer take him into the janitor’s closet and promise not to beat him up if he promised to give him his lunch money for the rest of his life? Except when Ballmer said “lunch money” Gates thought he said “head of your company one day”? I can understand since the accoustics in the janitor closet sucks. The man is a complete idiot, and an embarrassment. Why he doesn’t have a gag order is beyond me.

Posted by Warren Piece on April 30, 2007 at 6:37 PM (PDT)

Such BULL!

Steve would have said the same about the iPod (and both him and Gates were saying the same), had it not dominated like it did. Their strategy of licensing their tech to other PlaysForSome companies FAILED!

Seriously, this guy needs to shut up!

Posted by Dave on April 30, 2007 at 8:28 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >