Microsoft CEO: No chance iPhone will gain significant market share | iLounge News

Microsoft CEO: No chance iPhone will gain significant market share

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer continued his anti-Apple press campaign in a recent interview published by USA Today. Responding to a question about passionate Apple customers, Ballmer jokes about Windows/Mac market share numbers and goes on to say that there is “no chance” the iPhone will gain traction. Ballmer also said the game isn’t over when it comes to portable media players.

“There’s no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance,” Ballmer said. “It’s a $500 subsidized item. They may make a lot of money. But if you actually take a look at the 1.3 billion phones that get sold, I’d prefer to have our software in 60% or 70% or 80% of them, than I would to have 2% or 3%, which is what Apple might get.”

“In the case of music, Apple got out early,” Ballmer continued. “They were the first to really recognize that you couldn’t just think about the device and all the pieces separately. Bravo. Credit that to Steve (Jobs) and Apple. They did a nice job. But it’s not like we’re at the end of the line of innovation that’s going to come in the way people listen to music, watch videos, etc. I’ll bet our ads will be less edgy. But my 85-year-old uncle probably will never own an iPod, and I hope we’ll get him to own a Zune.”

« Nike updates Nike+ Sport Armband

SlingPlayer for Mac offers Apple TV, iPod support »

Comments

Ballmer is the epitomy of arrogance and distaste.  I’m not the least surprised that he would make such comments.  Thankfully, I’ve been M$ free for quite some time and very happy!

Posted by Craig on April 30, 2007 at 10:39 PM (PDT)

Oh my god, Ballmer has his head up his backside! Seriously. Apple will always be better with the music industry than Microsoft will ever be. They saw what they did with the iPod (which will probably come to it’s 6G next year), and they can probably predict with the iPhone. Apple’s sales always jump when they release a new product; double any other companies. Mike Dell said Apple was worthless, but, the day after he said that, Apple was offically worth more than Dell, and still is! Watch your back Microsoft! But, I must say, Microsoft always has its little surprises, but then again, Apple always has!

Posted by Alex on April 30, 2007 at 11:17 PM (PDT)

My 84 year old father uses a Mac. A Mac was his first computer, back in OS 8 days. It was easy enough and intuitive enough that he could actually use it out of the box, without needing training.

My technophobic wife has to use a PC at work, and uses a Mac at home. Any time she has a chance, she works on a Mac for preference.

Her father is scared witless of computers, but knows how intuitive Macs are and is seriously considering buying an iPhone.

When it comes to ease of use and a streamlined. intuitive interface, Microsoft haven’t yet seemed to even realise that they have a problem, and until they acknowledge the problem they will never be able to catch up with Apple in this crucial area.

And I know that all too well, having been given a Zune - which soaked up hours of my time trying to get it working properly.

Posted by Jackonicko on May 1, 2007 at 1:08 AM (PDT)

Agreed. When I first got my hands on an iPod, there was only a very small amount of “Wait, how do I go back?”. But when I was testing out a Zune at BestBuy, It was like getting drunk, hit on thehead with a hammer, spun around, and then sent off to play with the MP3 player. “Wait, how do I… wait, what? Guh…”

Posted by Ian on May 1, 2007 at 4:43 AM (PDT)

Yes, Balmer is even less appealing than either Gates or Jobs, two people that I don’t want living next door, but as disagreeable as he is on a personal level, I think he’s right.

iPhone ishmone, who cares? How many people would ever really buy that thing? Sure people with more money than sense and apple sycophants will buy anything apple excretes, but $600 in 2007? give me a break. AT&T/Cingular, now there’s a stretch; I can’t decide which is worse, TMobile or Cingular; both suck, but which one sucks less is a toss up.

This thing is doomed and unfortunately Balmer is right.

Posted by yeahright451 on May 1, 2007 at 1:42 PM (PDT)

I also think the iPhone’s going to be a hard sell given the entry price and chosen carrier, but at least Apple is IN the actual game., even if it’s only at an EDGE level. MSFT only has their mobile OS to parade about as the answer to all things mobile.

Ballmer says these things because he has to forward Microsoft’s spin on things that are out of their control. Microsoft has no smartphone of their own to face the challenge of the iPhone and has to depend on others for the hardware, so of course they must berate all comers to the marketplace that go beyond their own tepid response.

Me…I’ll stick with RIM.

Posted by flatline response on May 1, 2007 at 2:09 PM (PDT)

lancetx,
Duh…Ballmer’s going to say that, and that might actually be the case for now. BUT, if Microsoft sees the opportunity, I believe they’ll take it, unless they really don’t want to enter into that market. But, I’m sticking’ with my belief, that Microsoft will eventually release a phone similar to the iPhone.

Posted by doompod on May 1, 2007 at 2:59 PM (PDT)

Warren Piece,

I don’t know why you are thinking that Ballmer’s being the bully in this Microsoft vs. Apple fight. Steve Jobs started slamming Microsoft for years, before Microsoft started fighting back. Steve Jobs is the real bully.
But yeah, I’m glad Ballmer started fighting back for Microsoft, it seems like Apple fans are supporting Apple’s decisions in slamming Microsoft hard to the ground (not to be too offensive).
I have an iPod of myself and I have somewhat been pleased with it so far. Of course, I’ve had to send it in like 3 times within the first 8 months of my purchase, but other than that, it’s been good.
Apple needs to get it that if they want more people to adapt to Macs, they need to lower their prices so places such as Public schools can afford them.

Posted by doompod on May 1, 2007 at 3:08 PM (PDT)

Of course the iPhone isn’t going to get significant market share. 1 billion phones are sold each year. Even Steve Jobs knows that. Apple is aiming for 10 million iPhones, which is 1% of the cell phone market. Did Ballmer really have to state the obvious?

Posted by Bonk on May 1, 2007 at 4:25 PM (PDT)

ZUNE???????
I live in Canada and despite all the hype (or lack there of)surrounding the zune over the past few months…. We can’t buy them here
oh well props to apple, at least they’ve managed to think more internationally than microsoft…
F&^K Microsoft

Posted by Reeper on May 2, 2007 at 11:59 AM (PDT)

What kinda crack is this guy smokin’... I mean is he serious or is he asking his 85 year old uncle for advise?

Posted by chris on May 2, 2007 at 1:23 PM (PDT)

My grandmother loves her MacBook and 30gig black iPod. She has a hard time getting around so she likes to listen to the iPod in bed, where she can access all of her music just by moving her thumb. It also has family photos. It’s a big hit around the table at the retirement community where she lives. Almost everyone there has a computer; I’m not sure what you guys are smoking with your “85 year olds are all computer illiterate” crap.

Old people aren’t stupid.
(Steve Ballmer is stupid.)

Posted by Yakov Chodosh on May 2, 2007 at 3:27 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2