Microsoft debuts Surface Pro 3 laptop-replacing tablet starting at $799
While referencing both Apple’s iPad and MacBook Air as popular products people use—albeit with a need to alternate between using each for different purposes—Microsoft today introduced its new Surface Pro 3, billing it as “the tablet that can replace your laptop.” Surface Pro 3 has a 12” display with a 3:2 aspect ratio and 2160 x 1440 resolution, a Core i3/i5/i7 processor, integrated USB 3 port, Mini DisplayPort, microSD card reader, and the ability to connect to magnetic accessories. The entry level model for the tablet is 64GB, starting at $799, notably including a wireless pen and integrated handwriting recognition software. It runs Windows 8.1, including support for full-screen and windowed interfaces, as well as a two-app side-by-side mode.
While Surface Pro 3 weighs 1.76 pounds — more than an iPad Air — and also costs $100 more than a 64GB iPad Air, Microsoft’s entry-level price point puts the new tablet in direct competition with both higher-capacity iPads and the $899 MacBook Air. Focusing on comparing the device to laptops, Microsoft’s press release notes Surface Pro 3 is “30 percent thinner than an 11-inch MacBook Air;” it’s also significantly lighter, at 1.76 pounds versus the 2.38 pound MacBook, remaining lower than Apple’s weight even when an optional $130 Surface Pro Type Cover with keyboard and trackpad is attached. Surface Pro 3 will be available for pre-order Wednesday.
- Bell Canada fined $1.25 million for posting of fake App Store reviews
- Amazon to ban sale of Apple TV
- Google launches Google Music Family Plan
- Daimler CEO open to future Apple partnership
- Nokia’s HERE Maps sold to automakers in $3.1B deal
- Volkswagen adds CarPlay to 2016 lineup
- Apple’s Eddy Cue shares his hopes for Apple News
- Report: Apple testing dual front cameras, wireless charging, and more in iPhone 7 prototypes
- Apple expands Personal Pickup to 6 more EU countries
- Apple Music coming to Sonos Dec. 15 through public beta program
- Apple to drop headphone jack from next iPhone?
- Amazon Instant Video app could hit Apple TV ‘within a few weeks’
- Some Apple Music and iTunes Match services may be illegal in the U.K.
- Australian banks accused of anti-competitive behavior over Apple Pay lockout
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- House of Marley Chant Sport Portable Audio System
- Grid Connect ConnectSense Smart Outlet
- iDevices Switch HomeKit and Wi-Fi enabled plug
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Pro
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?