Microsoft debuts Surface Pro 3 laptop-replacing tablet starting at $799
While referencing both Apple’s iPad and MacBook Air as popular products people use—albeit with a need to alternate between using each for different purposes—Microsoft today introduced its new Surface Pro 3, billing it as “the tablet that can replace your laptop.” Surface Pro 3 has a 12” display with a 3:2 aspect ratio and 2160 x 1440 resolution, a Core i3/i5/i7 processor, integrated USB 3 port, Mini DisplayPort, microSD card reader, and the ability to connect to magnetic accessories. The entry level model for the tablet is 64GB, starting at $799, notably including a wireless pen and integrated handwriting recognition software. It runs Windows 8.1, including support for full-screen and windowed interfaces, as well as a two-app side-by-side mode.
While Surface Pro 3 weighs 1.76 pounds — more than an iPad Air — and also costs $100 more than a 64GB iPad Air, Microsoft’s entry-level price point puts the new tablet in direct competition with both higher-capacity iPads and the $899 MacBook Air. Focusing on comparing the device to laptops, Microsoft’s press release notes Surface Pro 3 is “30 percent thinner than an 11-inch MacBook Air;” it’s also significantly lighter, at 1.76 pounds versus the 2.38 pound MacBook, remaining lower than Apple’s weight even when an optional $130 Surface Pro Type Cover with keyboard and trackpad is attached. Surface Pro 3 will be available for pre-order Wednesday.
- Microsoft to bring Cortana to iOS
- iPhone theft decline attributed to Activation Lock feature
- Corning developing new sapphire-like Gorilla Glass
- Tony Fadell to oversee restructured Google Glass project
- Bluetooth SIG announces Bluetooth 4.2
- Verizon sponsoring ad-free listening to all U.S. iTunes Radio users
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iBattz Refuel Invictus for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?