Microsoft debuts Surface Pro 3 laptop-replacing tablet starting at $799
While referencing both Apple’s iPad and MacBook Air as popular products people use—albeit with a need to alternate between using each for different purposes—Microsoft today introduced its new Surface Pro 3, billing it as “the tablet that can replace your laptop.” Surface Pro 3 has a 12” display with a 3:2 aspect ratio and 2160 x 1440 resolution, a Core i3/i5/i7 processor, integrated USB 3 port, Mini DisplayPort, microSD card reader, and the ability to connect to magnetic accessories. The entry level model for the tablet is 64GB, starting at $799, notably including a wireless pen and integrated handwriting recognition software. It runs Windows 8.1, including support for full-screen and windowed interfaces, as well as a two-app side-by-side mode.
While Surface Pro 3 weighs 1.76 pounds — more than an iPad Air — and also costs $100 more than a 64GB iPad Air, Microsoft’s entry-level price point puts the new tablet in direct competition with both higher-capacity iPads and the $899 MacBook Air. Focusing on comparing the device to laptops, Microsoft’s press release notes Surface Pro 3 is “30 percent thinner than an 11-inch MacBook Air;” it’s also significantly lighter, at 1.76 pounds versus the 2.38 pound MacBook, remaining lower than Apple’s weight even when an optional $130 Surface Pro Type Cover with keyboard and trackpad is attached. Surface Pro 3 will be available for pre-order Wednesday.
- iPhone theft decline attributed to Activation Lock feature
- Corning developing new sapphire-like Gorilla Glass
- Tony Fadell to oversee restructured Google Glass project
- Bluetooth SIG announces Bluetooth 4.2
- Verizon sponsoring ad-free listening to all U.S. iTunes Radio users
- T-Mobile required to fully disclose throttled data speeds
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?