Microsoft designing device to rival iPod, other portables | iLounge News

Microsoft designing device to rival iPod, other portables

In an attempt to take on the iPod, PlayStation Portable and GameBoy, Microsoft is readying a new handheld device that will combine games, music and videos, according to a report by Dean Takahashi of The Mercury News. This story can be considered further confirmation of a January BusinessWeek article which said that the software giant is “mulling its own digital device that adds gaming to music and video, in an effort to compete with Apple’s iPod empire.” Microsoft has reportedly reorganized its home entertainment and Xbox groups to better plan the device.

“The Microsoft product would compete with Sony, Nintendo and Apple Computer’s products, including the iPod. And Microsoft has some of its most seasoned talent from the division that created its popular Xbox 360 working on it,” Takahashi reports. “Game executive J Allard leads the project, and its director is Greg Gibson, who was the system designer on the Xbox 360 video game console. Bryan Lee, the finance chief on the Xbox business, is leading the business side of the project.”

Takahashi continues: “By anchoring its entertainment device as a handheld game player, Microsoft is starting from its position of strength in the entertainment business that it hopes Apple cannot match, even with its iPod. The game press has dubbed it an ‘iPod killer,’ but its functions would likely more closely resemble Sony’s PlayStation Portable multimedia gaming device.” Takahashi says that the device might not be released until 2007.

« Belkin debuts TunePower for video iPod

Samsung forced to cut flash memory prices »

Comments

If the Origami device is any indication of things to come, I’m sure Sony, Apple and Nintendo are just QUAKING in their boots.

Posted by ahMEmon on March 20, 2006 at 12:52 PM (CST)

I think that other then games this thing could be pretty awesome as a multifunction device. The DS sucks at this and the psp can do it all, but not as nicley as a windows device with Portable media center.

Posted by Jonathan on March 20, 2006 at 12:58 PM (CST)

Posted by Craig Atkinson on March 20, 2006 at 1:01 PM (CST)

This will be yet another product wasting space on the store shelves. After the origami let down and the fact that windows OS is very buggy, I doubt intelligent people are going to be jumping to pick this up.

Windows always over complicates their products. Even their packaging is over complicated. Technology is supposed to be about making life easier. Not about getting confused just looking at the box. This product will be no different from every other microsoft product. It’ll be buggy, over complicated and boring.

Posted by Glorybox3737 on March 20, 2006 at 1:22 PM (CST)

So, microsoft are bringing out another “ipod killer”...they’ll fail. Microsoft stick to operating systems, that is one thing you seem to be good at…though not really the best at that!

Posted by lwotton on March 20, 2006 at 1:24 PM (CST)

“The hairs on my butt designing device to rival iPod, other portables”

In an attempt to take on the iPod, PlayStation Portable and GameBoy, the hairs on my butt are readying a new handheld device that will combine games, music and videos, according to a report by anyone who knows anything. This story can be considered further confirmation of something a friend of somebody’s cousin mentioned, which implied that the furry backside is “mulling its own digital device that adds gaming to music and video, in an effort to compete with Apple’s iPod empire.

Posted by barfy mcvomit on March 20, 2006 at 1:55 PM (CST)

In reading the Takahashi article, it seems to me that there’s a number of people here who have way-too-easy access to the internet reading whatever they want into this in order to fit their viewpoint. Considering that I have way-too-easy access to the internet as well, IF MSFT is indeed comtemplating another handheld, it’s more than likely it’ll go after the Sony PSP gamer+extras niche first, particularly considering the MSFT personnel involved. The PSP hasn’t exactly set the gaming world on fire, and Sony of late isn’t a hotbed of good news about itself. Since the Xbox brand is all about kicking the walls of Sony’s PS fortress down (or at least trying to), a handheld device developed by MSFT’s gaming experts seems logical to focus on that competition first.

(An aside: I visited a brand spankin’ new Sony Style store for the first time this past weekend—only a couple of hundred yards away from the University Village Apple Store I frequent—and all I can say is ‘Big Whoop’. Aside from the impression that the dead ‘e’ in the store’s main sign left on me, the place was a big nothing; much of this stuff is already available down at the local Best Buy or Circuit City, where it has to compete head-to-head with everyone else. Worse yet, it wasn’t like their store was anything more than a dominant single-brand retail store, unlike the neighboring Apple Store’s model with its help and class services).

Posted by flatline response on March 20, 2006 at 1:56 PM (CST)

How many times has MS said it was going to produce an iPod killer.  I’ve lost count.  And what about URGE the iTunes killer?  What happened to that?

Seriously, after the failure of the tablet PC for the SECOND time and now with the Origami debacle, MS should just give up on their portable hardware ideas.

Posted by The Raven on March 20, 2006 at 1:59 PM (CST)

“I think it’s funny that everytime microsoft says it has some sort of apple killer device it tries to do so by loading it with tons of features that consequently end up making it a very conmplicated device.  Apple devices are popular because they are simple, and so Microsoft ironically ends up failing.”

I think it’s funny that everytime a non-apple company tries doing something then cocky apple fanatics pull out the innaccurate buzzwords like “innovative” and “simple”.

ipod features are music, video, PIM and games. thats the exact same thing as the MS idea so if it (or any other competitor) fails its not because apple’s product is “better”. its because they know how to market their stuff.

Posted by coleman on March 20, 2006 at 2:36 PM (CST)

i don’t know all of you are so critical about msft.  don’t you ever think about all these ... competition which make this thing great?  msft scare apple, apple would have to step up and make better prod, not just giving up 8hrs or less on battery, and sh*tty warranty, and lock on itunes?

i’m sure it that ‘ipod killer’ is good enough, people would buy it.  i’ll get 2 myself. and 1 for back up.

Posted by khang on March 20, 2006 at 3:42 PM (CST)

Apple makes simple products.  Simple things for simple minds.  I think this is promising, I would take the Origami over, say, a Mac Mini.  I don’t see it as comparable to the iPod because it isn’t.  It is basically a small laptop, not a portable media device.  The fact that it CAN be a media device only heightens the experience.  Ditto on the increased competition.  Fanboys need to shut up, we know what you are thinking.

Posted by Jegero on March 20, 2006 at 3:48 PM (CST)

Seriously, after the failure of the tablet PC for the SECOND time…

I wasn’t aware that Tablet PC failed the first time, whatever that particular event occurred. (When did that happen, anyway?)

The problem with Tablet PCs wasn’t with the formula, it was with the cost. Early tablets used relatively weak CPUs and were bloody expensive relative to the more powerful notebook counterparts, I suspect primarily due to the large touchscreen. Few enterprises could justify the added expense. Can you really blame MSFT for that, since they weren’t the ones building and supplying the hardware?

If you’ve ever spent any serious time with a tablet, I suspect you might judge it to be a superior experience to a standard Windoze laptop. I certainly like them better than a regular laptop like my Dell. And the price of tablets have been coming down and quite a few models are now very price competitive with conventional notebooks (though ironically when I was on newegg a few days ago I noted that several Tablet PC models are almost as cheap as Samsung’s intro price for their Origami unit). The tablet concept ain’t dead yet.

Posted by flatline response on March 20, 2006 at 4:05 PM (CST)

The Gameboy? What happened to the DS?

Posted by rainking187 on March 20, 2006 at 4:37 PM (CST)

To be accurate, the article states:

“The game press has dubbed it an “iPod killer,’’ but its functions would likely more closely resemble Sony’s PlayStation Portable multimedia gaming device.”

To my knowledge, MSFT has never stated that they are developing an ‘iPod killer’ and I doubt they ever would.

Posted by proanim8r on March 20, 2006 at 4:50 PM (CST)

Posted by Dan on March 20, 2006 at 5:49 PM (CST)

Just an FYI, the DS is NOT a Gameboy.

Posted by Jeff on March 20, 2006 at 6:06 PM (CST)

Dan wrote: “I thought I remembered Microsoft publicly saying that they were not going to come out with a portable device to rival the PSP right after the PSP came out…anyone? Or is it just me? “

Just like Steve Jobs said he’d never come out with a video iPod, or, for that matter, an iPod with a colour screen

Posted by silver_haze20 on March 20, 2006 at 7:26 PM (CST)

I don’t get Microsoft.

One time they want to combat the iPod, next they provide compatability with the iPod in the XBOX 360, and next they’re trying to combat it again!

Changing sides all the time man! Steve Jobs better present some super-Mac or mega-iPod that’ll make them shut up about trying to rival/side with iPod.

Posted by tubaman93 on March 20, 2006 at 11:33 PM (CST)

This new gizmo will have a bunch of buttons and levers all crafted into an ergonomic and visual cluster f**k.

They still don’t get it.

Posted by Mr_Strat on March 21, 2006 at 10:45 AM (CST)

I am all for it.

MSFT did goof up beig time by letting Apple waltz away with the ‘cool’ tag with Ipod…not that Apple didnt deserve it…....Ipod is amazing and marketed well and no wonder the public is lapping it up.

However,Ipod is also just another device and is not sacrosanct.In fact,Steve Jobs is beginning to piss me off now.We have seen about 10 new ipod models in the last 18 months….agreed Nano is a different field but when you introduce a photo Ipod and 3 months down the line you bring out a video Ipod,thats cheating.

And Apple’s customer service is making a fool out of all of us…not technically but just i terms of the products being pricey,mis-leading advertisements(battery life fiasco) and yes,the locked-up I-tunes.

I would love for MSFT to be able to come out with an amazing device which gives Apple and Steve Jobs(he is not God btw fans) a run for some of his money….........all the guys rooting for Steve Jobs as if he is your grandfather,the ultimate winner out of a decent fight will be us,the consumers.

If MSFT bungles up as you all predict it will,we as consumers stand to lose more than anyone else…......and puh-lease,do not expect Jobs uncle to pass on the riches….....in fact,trust him to keep churning out an Ipod model every 6 months and keep us happy about having to spent an extra 500 dollars on something they could have produced 6 months earlier but chose not too!!

Posted by nofixedadderess on March 21, 2006 at 7:57 PM (CST)