Microsoft officially announces Zune player, Marketplace | iLounge News

Microsoft officially announces Zune player, Marketplace

image

Microsoft officially announced its Zune media player and new online music service today. As previously reported, the Zune player will feature a 30GB hard drive, Wi-Fi wireless technology, a built-in FM tuner and a 3-inch screen. Microsoft said the Zune will come in three colors—black, brown and white. The company declined, however, to disclose pricing and an exact release date, only saying the Zune player would be available “this holiday season.”

In addition to the player, Microsoft also announced the Zune Marketplace, a new online music service “where you can choose to purchase tracks individually or to buy a Zune Pass subscription to download as many songs as you want for a flat fee.” The Zune Marketplace appears to be part of the Zune media manager software for organizing music, videos and photos and transferring them to the device.

Microsoft said the the Zune experience “centers around connection—connection to your library, connection to friends, connection to community and connection to other devices.” The Zune player will allow users to share full-length sample tracks of select songs and playlists with other Zune owners. Recipients will be able to listen to the full song up to three times over three days. Microsoft said the song can then be flagged on the Zune for purchasing from the Zune Marketplace.

Microsoft also announced three Zune accessory packs—the Zune Car Pack (FM tuner and car charger), the Zune Home A/V Pack (AV cable, dock, sync cable, AC adapter and wireless remote), and the Zune Travel Pack (earphones, remote, gear bag, sync cable and AC adapter). In addition, Microsoft, as expected, also announced that it is working with a slew of iPod accessory makers on third-party Zune accessories. Those companies include Altec Lansing, Belkin, Digital Lifestyle Outfitters (DLO), Griffin Technology, Harman Kardon and JBL, and Speck Products.

image

« U.S. antitrust chief comments on iPod, iTunes

ABC launches Million Hit Lowdown on iTunes Store »

Comments

Microsoft has little innovation.  Rip-off Mac to make Windows XP….  Now rip-off the design of the iPod and iTunes to make Zune and Zune player.  Have you seen how similar their player is in function and design to iTunes?  Kind of sad…

Posted by KC on September 14, 2006 at 1:55 PM (PDT)

I guess the design isn’t that bad, and despite what everyone else is saying the brown one could look good, but in the small picture above I can’t really see any color difference between the black one and the brown one. The main thing that’s keeping me from getting one is that Apple offers an 80GB model and Microsoft does not. Oh, and iTunes doesn’t require me to actually know what I’m doing when I add songs onto my iPod and WMP is a little more complicated.

Posted by rainking187 on September 14, 2006 at 2:32 PM (PDT)

Sep 14 press announcement vs. Stevie’s big fanfare launch on the 12th? I just can’t help but wonder is it a coincidence on the part of MS or part of its ploy in thinking about stealing the thunder off Apple? Either MS marketing team is soo pathetic in not getting their dates correct if not, they would have launched Zune BEFORE Apple did and with an even fancier and bigger blitz accompanying it. Or else bill gates & his comrades must be thinking once again that MS = zune = No.1 naturally. Yeah. Only possible thing could happen is swarm of fans ditching their old mp3 players in favour of zune -> that is, Creative players fans.

Posted by Andy on September 14, 2006 at 4:05 PM (PDT)

It’s from ipod user who is waitin’ for Zune. I think Apple now gettin’ strong compition in mp3 players market. Microsoft have power of software which is more important in mp3 world. Also Zune case and interface is awesome. So apple will must loose some market share as far Microsoft want 25% to 30% which is abolutely possible. I already hold my money to spend on Zune because i like monthely subscription service than buy only( i will buy with MS only… future plannin’). Now i will listen as much songs as i want with Zune without buy every single songs. Iam pretty sure Microsoft will launch awesome online music service which will attract everybody and will give more freedom to users than ipods and itunes.

Posted by Eskay on September 14, 2006 at 4:08 PM (PDT)

I doubt Zune will take any market share away from iPod.  Zune will fight for the 2nd place market share with SandDisk, Creative, Sony etc.  Also the Xbox hasn’t taken any market share away from Playstation.  In fact, the Xbox 360 is still being outsold by the PS2! LOL!

Posted by Steven_V on September 14, 2006 at 5:00 PM (PDT)

Will the Microsoft device support the AAC format?

Posted by Glenn N on September 15, 2006 at 5:35 AM (PDT)

The thing with the zune is that microsoft have a pretty much unlimited supply of money to throw at it. First generation will suck agreed, but think about the xbox i own a 360 and wouldnt trade it for anything. So yes i think it will be a fairly big flop this year but next year i think apple may have to sit up and take note and bring a proper video ipod to the market. I very much doubt this could be an ipod killer however microsoft dont go into things like this half hearted again the xbox comes to mind. 2nd gen zunes may actually be able to compete with the ipod i just hope apple dont get complacment.

Posted by johnathan on September 15, 2006 at 7:22 AM (PDT)

I think launching the Zune is a pretty bad idea. The Zune itself is just a bad idea. Think about it, EVERYBODY ALREADY HAS IPODS. Do you think anybody is going to buy this? Ipods already took over the MP3 world. And now Ipods have games and movies too.

I just think Microsoft shouldn’t have even bothered to come up with an MP3 player to battle the Ipod. I strongly believe it is not going to sell well.

Posted by famouskoifish on September 15, 2006 at 2:13 PM (PDT)

Zune Insider has announced that there will be no Macintosh support until “customers request it”.

The Zune wireless sharing feature applies a 3 day/3 play DRM to every file exported- even if that file is public domain or is distributed legally under a Creative Commons license.

This is going to be a tough sell.

Posted by Stephen Worth in North Hollywood, CA on September 16, 2006 at 1:28 AM (PDT)

“Will the Microsoft device support the AAC format?”

YES and all video formats that iPod supports too!

Posted by moet on September 16, 2006 at 4:47 AM (PDT)

More technical specs have been revealed, including file formats, battery, capacity, etc.

Posted by Robert on September 17, 2006 at 1:37 AM (PDT)

“Zune (30GB) has small size especially while serving up that bigger screen”  Yeah, bigger size, same resolution 320x240, la de da microsoft.

Posted by MatrixSJD on September 17, 2006 at 11:47 AM (PDT)

Check out this video starring the new zune player at http://www.zune-player.net

Posted by dunnybuoy on September 18, 2006 at 4:19 AM (PDT)

Funny you guys hate the brown, because my wife and I love it.A screen size the eye can actually tolorate?! The one thing that could cause me to want it more then the ipod is the thickness and size compared to my 80gb 5.5G.

Posted by transmitsignal on September 28, 2006 at 9:58 AM (PDT)

I like the colour brown! I wish mine was brown. My zen vision m

Posted by Bryan on September 29, 2006 at 8:03 AM (PDT)

Though I myself have got an iPod, I believe Zune will soon cover the market since it is based on MS. You can enjoy music, flsh, even movies, your dvd-to-zune.And I prefer black one, I think it classical.

Posted by AdaNovember on January 11, 2007 at 9:54 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2